PDA

View Full Version : help me match my prostaffs

thevillageidiot
10-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Background information:
I suppose my first fault was buying a used Wilson pro staff 6.0 midsize (Taiwan make) in a 4 ¼ (L2) grip size. Upon using the frame, my technique suffered through the increasing use of the wrist in my shots. In order to build up the grip to a 4 ½ (L4) size, I used two full sized heat shrink sleeves on the grip (in spite of reading about the dramatic change in balance on the tennis warehouse learning center) and slightly counterweighted by putting 12 grams of lead between the 3 and 9 o’clock positions. I found the setup to be quite comfortable, except the static weight of about 410 grams would get to me after hitting for one or two sets. I ended up buying a new pro staff 6.0 (newer china make), and found the static weight to be too light.

I have removed one of the heat shrink sleeves from my Taiwan make pro staff and decreased the amount of lead at the 3 and 9 o’clock to 6 grams (one strip of 6” each side). I have not hit with this setup yet, but I feel that the specs fit my tastes: 372 g static weight and 12.8 pts head light (unstrung). In an attempt to match the unstrung specs with my china version, I entered its specs into the applet supplied by “ohplease” at http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=43323. I entered: 348 mass, 27 in length, 14 balance points, 329 swing weight, max added 30 grams, min balance 12, max balance 12.8, min sw 310, max sw 350.

Results and Questions:
I was advised to add 2.0g at 2.54 cm (handle), 16.0 g at 34.29 cm (throat), and 6.0 g to 52.8 cm (3 and 9).
The resulting specs according to the applet is a balance of 12.7 pts and sw 350.

The swing weight I entered into the applet was the average supplied by tennis warehouse, but I realized that their specs are all based on strung racquets. So is this going to affect the results? The average balance point tennis warehouse gave was 8 pts headlight, but it was about 14 pts headlight when I measured the unstrung frame (is the difference due to the weight of strings?). Ultimately what I want to know is if these changes will match the two different racquet versions as close as I can.

thevillageidiot
10-08-2006, 10:57 AM
finally got around to trying out this setup and it plays very similarly to my old taiwan make. at first the upper hoop felt a little more dead than the taiwan prostaff, but after awhile of hitting i got used to the fact that the sweet spot was moved down a little due to the weight i added on the throat.