PDA

View Full Version : 03 Tour MS vs. 03 Hybrid Tour MS

Rule26
10-02-2006, 03:50 AM
Anyone else hit with both of these raquets?

I was demoing the 03 Tour and enjoye the racquet very much. The 03 Hybrid Tour just came out and I only got a brief demo with it. Here's what I found so far The grip seemed a little different on the 03HT than the 03T The head on the 03 being shaped much more oval almost like a Head racquet. The 03T has O-ports @12 & 3+9 while the 03HT has them only @ 3+9. The 03HT is for two piece stringing while the 03T is designed for one piece. The string pattern on the 03T was a bit tighter. The 03T also had a bit more flex. From only hitting for a short while with 03HT, I got the sense that the throat was firmer but there wasn't much of an advantage in power. Eventhough the 03T had a rounder head with a tighter string pattern it felt like the 03T had more spin potential than the 03HT. Mostly, I enjoyed hitting with both and wish I had more time to evaluate them.

Has anyone else hit with both to make a fair comparison?

BiGGieStuFF
10-02-2006, 04:16 AM
One thing I will say about the O3HT. FLAT SHOTS ARE AWESOME!

CliffH
10-02-2006, 05:56 AM
yep.............

thejuice
10-02-2006, 07:59 AM
I have hit with both and while the O3 Tour MS is a good stick it isn't nearly the racquet that the O3 HT is. Instead of going into a long, drawn out speech comparing the two frames, I'll just say that the only thing that the O3 Tour MS does better is that it is super on touch volleys. Now, this is not to say that the HT isn't a beast at the net, it's just that the O3 Tour MS is a true volleying dream. Other than that one thing, the HT is much better at everything else.

ACK4wd
10-02-2006, 09:07 AM
For the HT a less Flexible throat & more open string pattern on the crosses because of fewer cross strings along a more oval shape gives better access to spin and a little more power. So HT gets the nod on evreything except some volley shots. Seems like they are pretty close racquets in comparison. I noticed that there seemed to be generally more control serving with the Tour over the Hybrid Tour but the Hybrid felt better for top-spin at the baseline. Both provided a good swing groove.

ACK4wd
10-02-2006, 09:10 AM
I also noticed that the HP lists about $20 more ..

anirut
10-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Hi Juice,

That you have the PK Red 98 and the O3's, is the head shape of the Red 98 more oval like the HT or more rounded like the O3T.

Please provide some info. Thanks.

thejuice
10-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Hi Juice,

That you have the PK Red 98 and the O3's, is the head shape of the Red 98 more oval like the HT or more rounded like the O3T.

Please provide some info. Thanks.

Anirut, great question. The Red 98 is definitely not as round as the O3T so I would say it is closer to the HT.

anirut
10-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Juice, thanks.

I hope it's not that long an oval as the O3HT as seen in TW pics ...

Pancho
10-02-2006, 12:15 PM
I find the O3 Hybrid Tour is a good stick - good for all shots. However, I will not buy it as I found it is rather stiff and not very comfortable on my arm even though I don't feel any shocks from the ball hitting the frame. I find the O3 Tour much more comfortable. Right now - O3 Tour is the racquet du jour for me.

Rule26
10-03-2006, 03:33 AM
I hit again with both racquets last night. I feel like I'm wanting to like the 03HT more than the 03T. Seems like if S&V is your style, the 03T works well, but an all-court / baseliner would have a better time with the 03HT. Both just felt so good with only slight differences. I liked the little extra power of the 03HT and the spin/control was great too.

Juice, that was an understatement about the 03T for volleys.

Currently I am wishing I owned both of them . Maybe that's my only solution: to buy them both and trade in the "loser" although neither one of them are.

Still find the 0-port thing funky and would have to consider a ncode 95 and a PKR 98 against both to declare a winner.

thejuice
10-03-2006, 07:06 AM
Still find the 0-port thing funky and would have to consider a ncode 95 and a PKR 98 against both to declare a winner.

Rule26, I'm not a big fan of the nCode 95's but the Redondo is a great stick (as you can probably tell in my signature). I hit with it last night for a couple of sets and actually can't wait to string my O3 HT up because I think I like the access to heavy topspin more with the HT.

Rule26
10-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Juice - I've noticed that Pro kennex are hard to find, & even harder to demo, even at TW - but I've looked at the specs & reviews for the redondo - I do have to try it - thanks

Rule26
10-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Travlerajm - are both of these racquets a viable platform for your new 12.5 oz / 360 sw setup? particularly the 03HT?