PDA

View Full Version : Building up from 4 3/8 to 4 1/2 v. shrink sleeve and heatgun??

ATXtennisaddict
10-02-2006, 05:35 AM
What's this heatgun? Do I need to go out and buy one in order to put on a heatshrink sleeve?

Also, could I just temporarily put another overgrip on to increase it to 4 1/2?

Keifers
10-02-2006, 06:10 AM
I've certainly used one and sometimes two overgrips to enlarge a grip. The nice thing is you can finetune how large by adjusting how much you overlap the og as you wrap it.

And I've had a heatshrink sleeve added to a 4 3/8 to make it a 4 1/2.

Suggest you click over to the TW tutorial on racquet customization for details.

Good luck.

andrew_b
10-02-2006, 06:15 AM
There are also sheets you can use to build up grips, either 1/2 size or 1 full size (i.e. 1/16" or 1/8").

They are self-adhesive and don't round the edges of the bevels. I used them a while back and they worked very well.

HERE (http://www.addongrip.com/)is their home page, not sure where you can buy them.

play well,
Andrew

barry
10-02-2006, 06:17 AM
What's this heatgun? Do I need to go out and buy one in order to put on a heatshrink sleeve?

Also, could I just temporarily put another overgrip on to increase it to 4 1/2?

I used a hair dryer to install the heat shrink, it worked OK, but keep in mind the weight of the heat shrink changes the balance and feel of the racket.

I gave up on heat shrink and build my grips up with Duct Tape; it seems to work well and does not change the handle. Put 4 strips on it about 6 inches long, top, bottom, and both sides, it will add 1/4 ounce to your racket handle, but works much better than heat shrink.

thevillageidiot
10-02-2006, 07:29 AM
if you don't have a heat gun you can use the fire from the stove, if the heat from your hair dryer is not hot enough.

MasterTS
10-02-2006, 07:32 AM
Remember the added weight will make your stick more headlight and increase the swingweight as well.