PDA

View Full Version : Will the PD be discontinued?

The Pusher Terminator
10-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Will the PD be discontinued? With Cortex technology out who the heck would ever want to buy the PD? I think that there is only a $10 dollar difference in price.

Dunlopkid
10-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Will the PD be discontinued? With Cortex technology out who the heck would ever want to buy the PD? I think that there is only a $10 dollar difference in price.

People who want to save 10 dollars???:) Seriously, though, it will probably depend on the success of Cortex.

gbt tennis acer
10-02-2006, 10:08 AM
At my local club I heard they are going to try and cycle out the pure drives without the cortex but i am not sure of the time table

Ripper
10-02-2006, 10:12 AM
You're saying that Cortex thing really does something? Just asking.

The Pusher Terminator
10-02-2006, 12:27 PM
You're saying that Cortex thing really does something? Just asking.

Absolutely!! It just is so much of a smoother feel. There really is no reason to play with the old PD unless you want to save the ten bucks.

I really think that Babolat should drop the prices on the PD by half.

If you are buying a PD make sure you get it with Cortex.

haerdalis
10-02-2006, 12:32 PM
What about the aero line? Will they get a cortex upgrade you think?

The Pusher Terminator
10-02-2006, 01:08 PM
What about the aero line? Will they get a cortex upgrade you think?

Rumor has it that they will get the cortex in 2007. And that is one racquet that really needs it!!! The vibrations in the apd are terrible.

monologuist
10-02-2006, 02:07 PM
I much prefer the old Pure Drive Team. The Cortex takes out what little feedback the original had...sure it might be more comfortable, but it was hard enough to get any feel for the ball on the original model, let alone the Cortex ones (and lack of feel was probably the aspect of the PD that people hated the most) Some might prefer the new Cortex ones, but they really feel quite different, and Iw ould urge anyone who is considering it to demo and compare with the original model, as it will surely end up being a matter of personal taste, as you can see. Also, beware that the Cortex model has a noticeably higher swingweight and feels like there is more weight concentrated at the top of the handle (not coincidentally where the Cortex is supposedly installed), and this defintiely changes the way it swings.

WhiteSox05CA
10-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Why would they discontinue the Pure Drive? The cortex system is only an update on the existing line. The new Pure Drive's come with the cortex, it is not a new racquet line.
________
The View (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

tonysk83
10-02-2006, 06:35 PM
They discontinued the Old pd when the woofer came out, so it will probably happen again.

sureshs
10-02-2006, 06:48 PM
I think Bab will be very careful with the PD. It was their flagship racquet and propelled them to success. If Cortex does not work out, they may retain the original line. Bab, unlike Wilson, is very conservative about introducing new models, and dealers like them because of that.

johnkidd
10-02-2006, 06:53 PM
From what the TW competitor told me here in Cincinnati, from what they have heard from Babolat there is no immediate plans to discontinue the PD w/o Cortex

AJK1
10-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Orthopaedic Surgeons are rubbing their hands together in glee at the thought of the thousands of PD users around the world who are gonna need surgery on their arms in the next ten years.;)

Noveson
10-02-2006, 07:58 PM
^Pd hater who has gotten beaten by too many teenagers. Anyway if it hurts your arm why would you keep using it?

JayxTheKoolest
10-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Absolutely!! It just is so much of a smoother feel. There really is no reason to play with the old PD unless you want to save the ten bucks.

Or want a different pj (I think the old one looks better).

JayxTheKoolest
10-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Orthopaedic Surgeons are rubbing their hands together in glee at the thought of the thousands of PD users around the world who are gonna need surgery on their arms in the next ten years.;)

I've never met anyone who's gotten tennis elbow from a PD. Then again, I've only met three people who've gotten tennis elbow. One used an 03 tour, one used a prince shark and the other used a wilson ntour. My opinion: it all comes down to your technique.

AJK1
10-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Noveson, that's a silly thing to say to someone who is un-defeated in singles so far. ;)

BreakPoint
10-02-2006, 11:48 PM

Uh...so Cortex is real but nCode isn't? :rolleyes:

So where is your proof that Babolat racquets actually contain Cortex? And where is your proof that Cortex does as Babolat advertizes it's supposed to do?

I heard Cortex hasn't been perfected yet so how did Babolat figure it out and put it into their racquets already? :rolleyes:

No, you're not biased. :rolleyes:

The Pusher Terminator
10-03-2006, 08:19 AM
Uh...so Cortex is real but nCode isn't? :rolleyes:

So where is your proof that Babolat racquets actually contain Cortex? And where is your proof that Cortex does as Babolat advertizes it's supposed to do?

I heard Cortex hasn't been perfected yet so how did Babolat figure it out and put it into their racquets already? :rolleyes:

No, you're not biased. :rolleyes:

Grow up. You obviously know nothing about the cortex technology and simply are seekeing revenge for daring to say that we have no way of knowing if Wilson is really using nanotechnology.

In any event...you actually can see the Cortex piece in the racquet! You have no way of telling what the hell Wilson has done to their racquets if anything at all. Furthermore, Cortex really does not do much except take out some of the vibration.

Babolat does not make any more money with this addition...in fact I think it hurts them monetarily because no one will ever buy the PD again. On the otherhand Wilson has an incentive to come up with newer and newer technolgies to keep selling racquets. That why they will put an "N" in front of everything so thatsuckers like you will keep buying new racquets every six months. The PD has not changed in a decade!

The Pusher Terminator
10-03-2006, 08:23 AM
I much prefer the old Pure Drive Team. The Cortex takes out what little feedback the original had...sure it might be more comfortable, but it was hard enough to get any feel for the ball on the original model, let alone the Cortex ones (and lack of feel was probably the aspect of the PD that people hated the most) Some might prefer the new Cortex ones, but they really feel quite different, and Iw ould urge anyone who is considering it to demo and compare with the original model, as it will surely end up being a matter of personal taste, as you can see. Also, beware that the Cortex model has a noticeably higher swingweight and feels like there is more weight concentrated at the top of the handle (not coincidentally where the Cortex is supposedly installed), and this defintiely changes the way it swings.

Thats a really good point. I dont know if I agree with you about the swingweight...but the "feel" is very subjective indeed! I never thought of it that way. I just assumed everyone would like the Coretex better because I do.

In any event...I thinkl the Cortex will become more popular and the older version of the PD will have to go down in price. I think its a matter of time before the public catches on and the old PD becomes discontinued. Hey thats not bad ....it was voted the racquety of the decade!

BreakPoint
10-03-2006, 12:37 PM
In any event...you actually can see the Cortex piece in the racquet! You have no way of telling what the hell Wilson has done to their racquets if anything at all. Furthermore, Cortex really does not do much except take out some of the vibration.
So just because you can see it means it's real and it works? I can see the two Flexpoints in Head's racquets, too. Does that mean that they're real and that they work? So just because you can't see nCode means that it's not there? Can you see the oxygen in the air? No? Does that mean it's not there? (BTW, the whole idea behind nanotechnology is that it's so small that you CAN'T SEE IT with the naked eye. That's how it's able to permeate through the voids in between the molecules.)
nCode also takes out much of the vibration that's why nCode racquets feel so muted. Some people don't like that muted, vibration-less feel, so that's why some people don't like the feel of nCode just like some people don't like the feel of Cortex. "Feel" comes from vibration, that's how the feel is transmitted to you hand.

Babolat does not make any more money with this addition...in fact I think it hurts them monetarily because no one will ever buy the PD again.
I think a lot of people who don't like the feel of Cortex will still want to buy the old PD, just like lots of people who don't like the feel of nCode still buy the PS 6.0 85, and lots of people who don't like Flexpoint want the Prestige Classic, and lots of people who don't like O-Ports buy the POG, etc., etc.

On the otherhand Wilson has an incentive to come up with newer and newer technolgies to keep selling racquets.
Which major manufacturer doesn't have an incentive to come up with newer and newer technologies to keep selling racquets? What do you call Babolat's Zylon, NCT, Nanotube, Aero, Cortex, Woofer, etc., etc.? :rolleyes:

NEWSFLASH: Racquet companies are in the business of selling racquets.

That why they will put an "N" in front of everything so thatsuckers like you will keep buying new racquets every six months. The PD has not changed in a decade!
You mean like the way Babolat puts "Aero" and "Zylon" and "NCT" and "Cortex" stickers on their racquets so that suckers like you will keep buying new racquets every six months? How many Babolats have you bought in the past couple of years?
BTW, I currently count NINE Pure Drive racquets sold at TW (I think some were even discontinued already, like the original "non-Team" version?). How is that "not changed"? Over the past 10 years, Babolat has kept coming out with "new" versions of the PD, e.g., Woofer, Team, OS, Aero, Roddick, Cortex, and maybe Zylon? Did you know the original PD didn't even have Woofer?
Oh, BTW, the PS 6.0 85 has been sold for 25 years.

BigServer1
10-03-2006, 02:20 PM
So just because you can see it means it's real and it works? I can see the two Flexpoints in Head's racquets, too. Does that mean that they're real and that they work? So just because you can't see nCode means that it's not there? Can you see the oxygen in the air? No? Does that mean it's not there? (BTW, the whole idea behind nanotechnology is that it's so small that you CAN'T SEE IT with the naked eye. That's how it's able to permeate through the voids in between the molecules.)
nCode also takes out much of the vibration that's why nCode racquets feel so muted. Some people don't like that muted, vibration-less feel, so that's why some people don't like the feel of nCode just like some people don't like the feel of Cortex. "Feel" comes from vibration, that's how the feel is transmitted to you hand.

I think a lot of people who don't like the feel of Cortex will still want to buy the old PD, just like lots of people who don't like the feel of nCode still buy the PS 6.0 85, and lots of people who don't like Flexpoint want the Prestige Classic, and lots of people who don't like O-Ports buy the POG, etc., etc.

Which major manufacturer doesn't have an incentive to come up with newer and newer technologies to keep selling racquets? What do you call Babolat's Zylon, NCT, Nanotube, Aero, Cortex, Woofer, etc., etc.? :rolleyes:

NEWSFLASH: Racquet companies are in the business of selling racquets.

You mean like the way Babolat puts "Aero" and "Zylon" and "NCT" and "Cortex" stickers on their racquets so that suckers like you will keep buying new racquets every six months? How many Babolats have you bought in the past couple of years?
BTW, I currently count NINE Pure Drive racquets sold at TW (I think some were even discontinued already, like the original "non-Team" version?). How is that "not changed"? Over the past 10 years, Babolat has kept coming out with "new" versions of the PD, e.g., Woofer, Team, OS, Aero, Roddick, Cortex, and maybe Zylon? Did you know the original PD didn't even have Woofer?
Oh, BTW, the PS 6.0 85 has been sold for 25 years.

oh snap...

The Pusher Terminator
10-03-2006, 02:34 PM
BP,

You have never even played with a cortex racquet. If you want to say that it doesn't work just to get back at me about the Ncode being bogus then be my guest.

I don't need to prove anything to the King of distortion. I play with the PD Cortex and in my opinion the cortex makes the racquet feel smoother. In fact no one except you has even disagreed with that. But say whatever you want just please stay away from me and my strings.

BreakPoint
10-03-2006, 02:58 PM
BP,

You have never even played with a cortex racquet. If you want to say that it doesn't work just to get back at me about the Ncode being bogus then be my guest.
No, I haven't. But if I did and I didn't play any better with it, I certainly wouldn't call Cortex "bogus". It just didn't work for me. To say that nCode does not exist and is "bogus" just because you didn't like the racquet or that it didn't make you play any better is both myopic and sophomoric.

I play with the PD Cortex and in my opinion the cortex makes the racquet feel smoother. In fact no one except you has even disagreed with that.

How about monologuist?

I much prefer the old Pure Drive Team. The Cortex takes out what little feedback the original had...

Just becasue you like it doesn't mean everyone will. But that works both ways, doesn't it?

The Pusher Terminator
10-03-2006, 03:19 PM
BP,

This is what I mean. You really are the king of distortion. Monogluist never siad that the Cortex does not work. He simply said he didnt like it.

I feel like I am in the "matrix"...everything is distorted. i am not having fun and I don;t want to play anymore. Please stay away from me.

monologuist
10-03-2006, 04:39 PM
let me clarify what I said and what I meant BTW:

-I do think the Cortex System works, in that it succeeds in dampening out even more vibration/feedback upon impact than the original version....so if you miss the sweetspot, the vibration is not as jarring feeling as with the original PD.

-However, that is not to say that the Cortex System succeeds in achieving what Babolat claims, which is that it "is designed to reduce harmful racquet vibrations without filtering out the feedback required for feel". This, IMO, is a somewhat dubious claim...first of all, I'm skeptical that Babolat has somehow determined precisely what frequencies of racquet vibration are "useful" and which are not...obviously, there are some that don't find vibration to be useful at all; for instance people that prefer the feel of the Cortex PD's....secondly, there has been no legitimate research that has proven that racquet vibration is necessarily the cause of any inuries, and if it is, which frequencies or what amplitude of those vibrations are the threshold or range of injury vs/ non-injury;it will surely differ from person to person for one thing.

Some even would argue that the main cause of T.E or G.E is faulty technique, and poor racquet choice relative to skill and fitness level (i.e. mishitting too often b/c the sweetspot is too small for the player, using a racquet that is too light or too heavy for the player and encourages injury-inducing technique, etc.)...and even if Babolat has somehow completed this revolutionary research, I would be even more skeptical that they have found a way to design a contraption to install in their racquets that is sophisticated enough to selectively filter out these particular frequencies and amplitudes of vibration, and found a way to do so for so cheap that it hasn't even really affected their pricing.

-So I'm not saying that the Cortex system doesn't improve at all upon the dampening of potentially harmful vibrations...it probably does. But from my testing of the racquet, it does so at the cost of too much useful feedback vibration that it is not worth the gain in comfort. Also, I don't know that there's any way to know whether the amount of vibration the Cortex system filters out is enough to avoid injury...it is possible that for players who tend towards ill arm health, that the Cortex system still would not be effective enough on bad mishit vibrations.

I have not had any arm problems from using the original PD's anyway, as I rarely mishit with it, and it plays plenty comfortable in the sweetspot for me (I'm in the camp that believes that PD-related injuries are usually b/c people string them too tight b/c they want to lower the power, instead of learning how to harness the power through spin control, or that they are mishitting often) So while players who do not rely much on racquet feedback for their game anyway, it might not turn them off at all, while others, who rely more on touch shots, volleys, and the like will be turned off (even more so than the original PD, which they likely were turned off by to begin with). If a player relies on the power and spin potential of the PD but have had arm problems, they might be willing to sacrifice that loss of feedback for health reasons and use the Cortex PD...I do think though that if you're getting that much shock from a PD, you should either use a much lower tension and learn how to control it there, or use a racquet with a sweetspot that you can hit more consistently.

it was Just out
10-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Mono,

I agree with you 100 percent! Secondly I think that babolat gets a bad rap about arm problems. I find both racquets to be great....and I respect your opinion. It just makes sense.

BreakPoint
10-03-2006, 05:20 PM
BP,

This is what I mean. You really are the king of distortion. Monogluist never siad that the Cortex does not work. He simply said he didnt like it.

Exactly! So instead of just simply saying that you didn't like nCode, why did you keep harping endlessly that nCode does not work and that it's "bogus"? :confused:

What goes around comes around, dude. :eek:

Big Fed
10-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Grow up. You obviously know nothing about the cortex technology and simply are seekeing revenge for daring to say that we have no way of knowing if Wilson is really using nanotechnology.

Babolat does not make any more money with this addition...in fact I think it hurts them monetarily because no one will ever buy the PD again. On the otherhand Wilson has an incentive to come up with newer and newer technolgies to keep selling racquets. That why they will put an "N" in front of everything so thatsuckers like you will keep buying new racquets every six months. The PD has not changed in a decade!

And Break Point get owned, blazed, burned, roasted or whatever u wanna say

BreakPoint
10-03-2006, 06:10 PM
And Break Point get owned, blazed, burned, roasted or whatever u wanna say

Huh? It certainly looks like The Pusher Terminator is the one that keeps getting "owned" over and over and over, and sadly, over again..... Both in this thread and in this one: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=119597&page=9

The Pusher Terminator
10-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Huh? It certainly looks like The Pusher Terminator is the one that keeps getting "owned" over and over and over, and sadly, over again..... Both in this thread and in this one: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=119597&page=9

no you are owned:

Brody who wrote the Physics of tennis says that Nanocode technology in raquets probably does not work. You can listen to him yourself. HEAR IT AND WEEP BP!!!...(lets see you distort this one around...I have faith in you because you are an artist).

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4252587

END OF DEBATE!

JayxTheKoolest
10-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Wow, "the pusher terminator" and "breakpoint", you guys are horrible debaters. You sound really whinny, and all your arguements are superlative (as in they are the absolute thruth). Seriosuly, try calming down and having a reasonabel discussion.

Noveson
10-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Noveson, that's a silly thing to say to someone who is un-defeated in singles so far. ;)

Haha touche(sp?). You just got some respect from me, although I am just a teen PD user lol.