PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy player's racquets

raiden031
10-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Why is it that Sports Authority and Dick's Sporting goods only seem to sell oversized racquets? I thought because they were large stores with large selections they would sell all types. Is TW the #1 racquet shop in existance or do they have some significant competition somewhere?

Tennis Man
10-02-2006, 10:08 AM
try proshops at local tennis clubs. Sometimes they have good deals. Also, the best way to try a few racquets is to buy them used online

Nar57981
10-02-2006, 04:06 PM
I've noticed that even pro shops tend not to carry player racquets, since it's not as big of a market. Look for a tennis specialty shop, like one that only sells tennis stuff. I have one called Tennis Ltd. in my area. But the best place to buy is online, since it's whole sale (lower price) and you don't have to pay taxes.

p0w3r
10-02-2006, 04:46 PM
You can find players racquets in sports authority. They sell FXP Instinct, FXP Radical, n6.1 95, nPro Open, O3 Tour, and other player's racquets in my local sports authority.

stevewcosta
10-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Why would you want to buy anywhere else? TW is the best. They also provide a great string job.

vinnier6
10-02-2006, 05:01 PM
You can find players racquets in sports authority. They sell FXP Instinct, FXP Radical, n6.1 95, nPro Open, O3 Tour, and other player's racquets in my local sports authority.
not mine...the only "players racquet" my sports authority has is the liquid metal radical....that goes for dicks sporting goods as well...

Cruzer
10-02-2006, 05:02 PM
I've noticed that even pro shops tend not to carry player racquets, since it's not as big of a market. Look for a tennis specialty shop, like one that only sells tennis stuff. I have one called Tennis Ltd. in my area. But the best place to buy is online, since it's whole sale (lower price) and you don't have to pay taxes.

Online prices are not wholesale prices. The wholesale price is what retailers like TW pay for the products they sell. Online prices are not lower than buying from a brick and mortar establishment particularly when certain companies require their products be sold at a specific price point by all of their distributors. A good example is Nike. The brick and mortar retailers know they are competing with retailers like TW and set their prices to be competitive.

You may or may not have to pay sales tax depending on where you live and who you buy from. Generally if you buy from a retailer in the same state you live in they will charge you sales tax if the state has a sales tax.

WhiteSox05CA
10-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Go to a tennis specialty store. Check the yellowpages for one in your area. I go to a store that only sells tennis and golf stuff. They have a huge variety, and are definately the most knowledgeable when buying a racquet.
________
Live Sex Webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Nar57981
10-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Online prices are not wholesale prices. The wholesale price is what retailers like TW pay for the products they sell. Online prices are not lower than buying from a brick and mortar establishment particularly when certain companies require their products be sold at a specific price point by all of their distributors. A good example is Nike. The brick and mortar retailers know they are competing with retailers like TW and set their prices to be competitive.

You may or may not have to pay sales tax depending on where you live and who you buy from. Generally if you buy from a retailer in the same state you live in they will charge you sales tax if the state has a sales tax.

Even if it isn't wholesale online prices are cheaper, since they don't have to pay store taxes (to have the "brick and mortar establishments") and other random taxes that go to things that we don't care about, which go into the price of our racquets.
Also i have never seen a racquet in a store that wasn't at least $20 more than online ><

coolblue123
10-02-2006, 08:29 PM
this may have been a discussion pt before but I was wondering if anyone knows how much off retail price do retailers get the racquets for? just curious...

tarheels2323
10-02-2006, 08:40 PM
this may have been a discussion pt before but I was wondering if anyone knows how much off retail price do retailers get the racquets for? just curious...

I'm sure that different racquets have different wholesale values, and thus different profits for pro shops. I know the owner of my local club and got my nCode 6.1 tour for the wholesale price, which I believe was about $20 under the retail price.

thejuice
10-02-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm sure that different racquets have different wholesale values, and thus different profits for pro shops. I know the owner of my local club and got my nCode 6.1 tour for the wholesale price, which I believe was about $20 under the retail price.

That can't be right. My friend is a teaching pro that is sponsored by Prince and she gets any Prince racquet she wants for wholesale plus 10%. It ends up being like 48% off retail. I can't imagine Wilson is much more than that.

BreakPoint
10-02-2006, 09:32 PM

I wouldn't really classify those on your list as "players racquets", with the exception of the nSix-One 95. The rest are really tweeners IMO.

BreakPoint
10-02-2006, 09:35 PM

$20 under retail is not the wholesale price. That's just a regular discount. No stores could survive if their wholesale prices were only $20 below the retail prices on racquets.

vinnier6
10-02-2006, 09:36 PM
I wouldn't really classify those on your list as "players racquets", with the exception of the nSix-One 95. The rest are really tweeners IMO.
the O3 tour and the flexpoint radical are not tweeners...

SoBad
10-02-2006, 09:37 PM
I don't know where in MD you are, but if you are not too far from DC, I'd recommend Drilling Tennis & Golf on 17th St, they got all the racquets, they got demo lanes and the guys there are super helpful.

thejerk
10-02-2006, 10:03 PM
I believe TW also does price matching. For new racket TW is one of the best.

BreakPoint
10-02-2006, 11:15 PM
the O3 tour and the flexpoint radical are not tweeners...

I've playtested both. They are most definitely "tweeners". They are both under 12.0 oz. (the FXP Radical is only 11.1 oz. Yikes!). They both have big heads (98 sq. in. and 100 sq. in.). That qualifies them as tweeners. Compare that to a 12.7 oz., 90 sq. in. PS Tour 90, which qualifies as a "players racquet" in my book.

skuludo
10-03-2006, 02:28 AM
Do not expect to hit harder with a racket change. Do expect more shots hit well with a larger head.

Offshore
10-03-2006, 05:00 AM
I have had 100% success with TW price matching for all of my frames. They are really great about it and the service has been excellent.

raiden031
10-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Do not expect to hit harder with a racket change. Do expect more shots hit well with a larger head.

I just bought a Prince NXG mid (from TW) and stopped using my former OS racquet because I couldn't keep the ball in bounds. I really like the smaller head and was looking to buy at least one more racquet midsize player's racquet but I wanted to be able to physically pick up the racquets to compare with one another in the store, but found none of them at the big sports stores. I like TW's selection, but I don't like how I have to do everything by mail which is a pain in the ***.

coolblue123
10-03-2006, 09:18 AM
I don't know where in MD you are, but if you are not too far from DC, I'd recommend Drilling Tennis & Golf on 17th St, they got all the racquets, they got demo lanes and the guys there are super helpful.

I live near Gaithersburg MD and work in DC. I've heard lots of good thing from Drillings before, but I don't know where they are? Is it the old Racquet and Jog in DC? But I usually get my racquets at Tennis World at Wheaton, the owner there really knows his stuff and offers some really good prices too. But I heard they are opening a super tennis store somewhere in Rockville, MD as well. I gotta drop by there and see.
But thanks for the info.

But I do hear somewhere that wholesale prices are around 30% to 60% of retail.

pchoi04
10-03-2006, 09:34 AM
At my club, twice a year they have a sale where everything is 40% off. Its pretty cool but I'm not sure If they still do it becasue I havent been in almost 2 years but we'll see now that I started going again.

vinnier6
10-03-2006, 10:11 AM
I've playtested both. They are most definitely "tweeners". They are both under 12.0 oz. (the FXP Radical is only 11.1 oz. Yikes!). They both have big heads (98 sq. in. and 100 sq. in.). That qualifies them as tweeners. Compare that to a 12.7 oz., 90 sq. in. PS Tour 90, which qualifies as a "players racquet" in my book.
you have now just classified your self as a complete tool...'

of course thats just "in my book"

ace maze
10-03-2006, 10:43 AM
IN the MD area there is also ******** sports.
They have a huge store with a complete selection.
In addition they have a website www.********sports.com

ace maze
10-03-2006, 10:46 AM
It seems that the system did not allowed my post.
There is a grat retailer in the Baltimore area. They also have a website.
Write to me and will provide details.
jsalinas@pancanal.com

BreakPoint
10-03-2006, 01:08 PM
you have now just classified your self as a complete tool...'

of course thats just "in my book"

If you can't tell the difference between playing with a PS Tour 90 and an O3 Tour MP, then I do feel sorry for you. :(

FYI, "players racquets" are generally regarded as being over 12.0 oz. and under 95 sq. in.

tennis-n-sc
10-03-2006, 01:29 PM
If you can't tell the difference between playing with a PS Tour 90 and an O3 Tour MP, then I do feel sorry for you. :(

FYI, "players racquets" are generally regarded as being over 12.0 oz. and under 95 sq. in.

I've never paid much attention to the racket categories and have thought some on this board over emphasize the so called definitions. All the rackets listed by Vinier are also categorized as players rackets by TW. In my opinion, the so called guidelines for this categorey have become a little murky since so many pros are now using rackets under 12 oz. and over 95 sq.in. head size. And I think most people on the board could tell the difference between a PS tour 90 and an O3 tour. So? I just don't think it makes that much difference. Play with what makes you and game comfy and fun.

BreakPoint
10-03-2006, 01:40 PM
I've never paid much attention to the racket categories and have thought some on this board over emphasize the so called definitions. All the rackets listed by Vinier are also categorized as players rackets by TW. In my opinion, the so called guidelines for this categorey have become a little murky since so many pros are now using rackets under 12 oz. and over 95 sq.in. head size. And I think most people on the board could tell the difference between a PS tour 90 and an O3 tour. So? I just don't think it makes that much difference. Play with what makes you and game comfy and fun.

Yes, I understand what you're saying. However, this thread is about people being frustrated because they can't find "player's racquets" in general sporting goods stores. Most sporting goods stores I've been into (e.g., Sports Authority, SportsMart, etc.) do carry the FXP Radical MP and the O3 Tour MP. However, I've never seen the PS Tour 90 nor nSix-One Tour nor POG Mid in these types of stores. Thus the frustration for some people. :(

darkblue
10-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Why is it that Sports Authority and Dick's Sporting goods only seem to sell oversized racquets? I thought because they were large stores with large selections they would sell all types. Is TW the #1 racquet shop in existance or do they have some significant competition somewhere?
why are u here ??
all the player's racquets are here...

newnuse
10-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Go to the local "players club"

Steve Huff
10-04-2006, 10:00 PM
If you know your grip size, just order from TW. They have competitors, just as about every business does. They don't exist in a vacuum. TW has a great reputation, gives you an option of how you want it sent, has a lot of string choices, PLUS, they offer you this website free of charge where you can ask about rackets. Give them a try.