PDA

View Full Version : Which is better at net, low or high tension?

Virgilio
10-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Just wondering, since I stink with low tension...getting higher tension would help with net play?

Ripper
10-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Just wondering, since I stink with low tension...getting higher tension would help with net play?

I'd say low, but, as everything, it depends.

Virgilio
10-02-2006, 11:11 AM
but it seems I have very little control with low tension. Moreover I keep on hitting my frame (though that of course doesn't depend on the strings). Is the racquet too heavy or is it just me too blind? Racquet is 300 grams now.

bigserving
10-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Sampras strung with a fairly high tension. John McEnroe strung at very low tension.

It probably is not the racket as much as it is the user. Practice, experiment and find what works best for you.

vkartikv
10-02-2006, 11:35 AM
depends on the racquet. but in general i have found open string pattern racquets to work well at >60 lbs

Virgilio
10-02-2006, 11:49 AM
yeah, mine is pretty open string. Do you guys look at the ball impacting the racquet when at net or just have the sensation of where the ball is going and try to close the point like that?

morten
10-03-2006, 01:15 AM
the latter

onkystomper
10-03-2006, 05:00 AM
but it seems I have very little control with low tension. Moreover I keep on hitting my frame (though that of course doesn't depend on the strings). Is the racquet too heavy or is it just me too blind? Racquet is 300 grams now.

LOL strings don't matter if you hit the frame. :) 300 grams is not a particularly heavy racket. prob just lacking preparation.

As far as strings go it is a personal preference from person to person

dozu
10-03-2006, 05:23 AM
from the way you asked the question, I'd guess that you need more fundamental technique training on volleys. if you are losing control and you are hitting the frame, you are not good enough yet to worry about tensions.

search the forum and look for technical tips and improve your form first.

mctennis
10-03-2006, 05:30 AM
Sampras strung with a fairly high tension. John McEnroe strung at very low tension.

It probably is not the racket as much as it is the user. Practice, experiment and find what works best for you.
I agree with this statement. It is all in the softness of your hands.