PDA

View Full Version : Misweaving

MTXR
10-02-2006, 03:48 PM
I strung my racquet late at night and i misweaved a few crosses, i just totally missed a few weaves on like 4 crosses. Its on the lower corner of my racquet.

Do you think it will play dramtically different?

I really don't want to restring this till the strings breaks.

Dopke
10-02-2006, 03:50 PM
I've played with a racquet that had one misweave- didn't really play different at all. I wouldn't expect much difference with 3 more misweaves, but you never know.

TonyB
10-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Don't worry about it. You won't notice the difference.

I verify each cross by comparing it to the previous cross. Make sure that it begins on the opposite side of the main and ends on the opposite side of the main (as compared to the previous cross).

It's a quick way to check your work as you go. Granted, you can miss TWO weaves on one cross and it will still end up on the opposite side of the main (as compared to the previous cross), but as long as you're moderately careful, the odds are very low that you'll miss two weaves on one cross.

I find it too tedious to check every single weave as I go, so as long as I'm somewhat careful when I string, I usually never miss a single weave... but if I do, chances are that it's only one weave per cross and I end up identifying it by the time I get to the last main on that cross.

Here's something that really bugged me: I had strung probably 75% of the crosses on one of my first racquets, then realized that I wanted to drop the cross tension by 2 lb., so I had to pull them all out and start the crosses over again. What a pain.

bsandy
10-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Did you cuss ?

. . . Bud

Richie Rich
10-02-2006, 09:05 PM
wouldn't worry about it too much, especially being in a part of the racquet where you aren't going to hit many balls anyway.

serveitup911
10-02-2006, 09:14 PM
It is fine to practice with, but technically not legal to play USTA league tennis or tournament tennis with.

Richie Rich
10-03-2006, 04:00 AM
It is fine to practice with, but technically not legal to play USTA league tennis or tournament tennis with.

do people really check your string pattern at USTA matches for misweaves? guess they could notice if you have your racquet sitting on your bag or on a bench or something. seems pretty a pretty lame reason to be defaulted from a match.

Askmeo88
10-03-2006, 05:29 AM
Similar to what TonyS said,

I find that by weaving "one ahead," the ridges between the weaves become more pronounced, making it easier to spot any misweaves. I've been using this method for a while, and so far so good.

SteveI
10-03-2006, 09:07 AM
I strung my racquet late at night and i misweaved a few crosses, i just totally missed a few weaves on like 4 crosses. Its on the lower corner of my racquet.

Do you think it will play dramtically different?

I really don't want to restring this till the strings breaks.

Hi,

Just knowing that there are misweaved sections would get into my head.. so "I" would cut it out and restring. BTW.. I use a cheap Poly/Syn Gut Hybrid.. so that is easy for me to say.. and I string my own. Really only time a few bucks for me. If I was using Gamma Professional or Nat Gut.. I might live with the mistakes.

Regards,
Steve

MTXR
10-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Yeah well i do weave one ahead.

all the misweaves are in a row, like 3-4 cross strings in a row at the same spot.

I was way tired when i did this and just wanted to get done so i never really checked.

It seems to hit ok, i was out on the courts last night and i will be again today.

fastdunn
10-03-2006, 04:00 PM
do people really check your string pattern at USTA matches for misweaves? guess they could notice if you have your racquet sitting on your bag or on a bench or something. seems pretty a pretty lame reason to be defaulted from a match.

I have not heard anyone got defaulted from mis-weaved racquet.

But I'm not sure about pro-circuit.

As I recall, one of the reasons is supposedly something like
"unfair advantage in spin production". That's a food for thought...