PDA

View Full Version : racket for singles another for doubles

tennis-skater
10-02-2006, 03:32 PM
does anyone here use a racket for singles then a different one for doubles? just wondering

tempura_MAKI
10-02-2006, 04:14 PM
nope. a singles racquet should do well in all areas, i.e. serve/ baseliners/ groundstrokes/ vollies. generally its personal preference, but of your racquet performs what I listed why should you change?

superstition
10-02-2006, 04:29 PM
does anyone here use a racket for singles then a different one for doubles? just wondering
Yes. My singles racquets are too heavy and slow for doubles, and the heads are too small.

DURICA533
10-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Surge X for dubs
nBlade for singles

Roy
10-03-2006, 01:09 AM
i use the same for both (mspeed).

But anyone use a different racket to serve and return serve I wonder.....lower tension for serving perhaps ???....just wondering.

backcourt
10-03-2006, 04:42 AM
I may be starting to go down this road, but generally believe it's probably better to use the same racquet for both. However my 95 Yonex I use for singles is great for serving, but I prefer my Cat 8 VE at the net as it's a bit quicker had has a bigger head and sweet spot, so lately I've been using it for doubles.

nasri_babolat_storm
10-03-2006, 05:11 AM
pure storm for singles..nxg OS for doubles..

grizzly4life
10-03-2006, 07:01 AM
i'm always toying with stuff like this (too much actually)...

but i'm thinking maybe different weighting of same racquet for serving vs. receiving (although i'd probably only change for doubles where there's a changeover, and you go 3 games without serving)... with a leaded up racquet, you can absolutely pound those serves.

texcoug
10-03-2006, 07:12 AM
I was so messed up in a tournament recently that I was using the 03 Red when my partner was serving (if you haven't tried one at the net, take my advice, don't because nothing will ever match it -- perfect combination of weight, balance, headsize, and stiffness at the net -- when you hit it, it NEVER comes back) and my Cat 8s for everything else. For a while, I was even using the 03 Red to serve (talk about some bombs)...

The problem with the 03 Red is that if you swing, you better use great technique (sounds funny because that is what you say for a low powered frame, eh?) or it will sail only, if only a little bit. Since I can't make myself shorten my swing (or slow it down) with the Red, I finally gave it to my wife and refused to use it.

Now, I purchased a DNX 8 (similar but 100") to go with my Cat 8s. Not sure how I am going to use them.

Soundog
10-04-2006, 12:32 AM
I do.

I use a yonex mp-tour1 90 for doubles and a modified mp-tour1 98 for singles. The singles racket is 27.75 inches long and is 380 grams but has a slightly lighter swing weight than the doubles racket which is the standard 72 inches 360 grams

I prefer the lower powered 90 for doubles because I can hit more consistently placed angles with it, and it is more stable on volleys. The 98 is set up for hitting powerful ground strokes deep with more spin.

I also use the same combination with super RD-Tours as well which I find pretty interchangeable.