PDA

View Full Version : 3M Lead Tape, Weight/Inch???

PurePrestige
10-02-2006, 05:44 PM
I was considering buying some 3M Lead Tape as I have heard it is the best in terms of ease of application and sticking.
I couldn't find any information however regarding the weight of 3M lead tape per inch.

If anyone has the weight per inch for the 1/2 inch lead tape I would be much obliged, the 1/4 inch width would be helpful as well. Normally I use 1/2 inch lead tape and was wondering if it was worth it to use instead of Gamma Lead Tape which I usually use.

Gamma is 1/2 gram per inch of 1/2 inch width lead tape.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Mike Cottrill
10-02-2006, 08:13 PM
The lead tape TW sells is not 3M. The pictures they show are a little misleading.

BTW, 1/2" 3M is .5g/in and 1/4" is .25g/in from what I remember. that is before the removal of the backing. might want to verify from who you buy it from though.

PurePrestige
10-03-2006, 07:19 AM
I'm confused.
I know TW doesn't sell 3M Lead.
I was just trying to figure out the weight, as what i've read indicates its the best lead tape you can get really. Though the weight of the lead seems really confusing to me, if it doesn't have a accurate weight how can it be very useful.
I'm just wondering if i'll know how much i'm adding, or if i'll need a scale of some sort in order to add lead.

Mike Cottrill
10-03-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm confused.
I know TW doesn't sell 3M Lead.
I was just trying to figure out the weight, as what i've read indicates its the best lead tape you can get really. Though the weight of the lead seems really confusing to me, if it doesn't have a accurate weight how can it be very useful.
I'm just wondering if i'll know how much i'm adding, or if i'll need a scale of some sort in order to add lead.

What do you mean not accurate? It is pretty darn close. I have seen it in two widths: ¼” and ½”. Both 36 yards in length.

Also, best you have a scale too :).

PurePrestige
10-03-2006, 10:36 AM
What i'm saying is, like you said. If it is .5g/inch for 1/2 inch width and .25g/inch for 1/4 inch before you remove the backing, then it won't weigh that much when you put it on you're racquet.
So instead of adding .5g you add .435g or something, whatever the weight of the tapes backing would take away. So you wouldn't know how much you were adding unless you cut each strip and took off the backing and then proceeded to measure it before you put it on your racquet.

Kevo
10-03-2006, 11:05 AM
I've never heard the backing thing. It's always said on the packages how much it weighs per inch. Of course lead is very malleable, so if it gets bent or stretched it might not be exact. Most of the time you end up adding it in pairs anyway, so just add the same amount to each side of the frame until you get what you like. How would you know that exactly 5g is what feels best anyway?

Mike Cottrill
10-03-2006, 11:37 AM
What i'm saying is, like you said. If it is .5g/inch for 1/2 inch width and .25g/inch for 1/4 inch before you remove the backing, then it won't weigh that much when you put it on you're racquet.
So instead of adding .5g you add .435g or something, whatever the weight of the tapes backing would take away. So you wouldn't know how much you were adding unless you cut each strip and took off the backing and then proceeded to measure it before you put it on your racquet.

Well,
I put 20” x 2 on a stick recently and I put all the backing on the scale. Don’t remember what it weighed or if it would read it, but it was not much. If you cut 5” my scale would not read the backing. My scale accuracy is +/- 1 gram. I have not seen any details if the weight is with or without the backing. However, when I cut 20 inches of ¼” tape, it weighed 5 grams on my scale.

Mike Cottrill
10-05-2006, 07:43 PM
20" of backing is about 1g.