PDA

View Full Version : SAM SP-4 Arrived Today

mikenpat
10-02-2006, 06:44 PM
After much research, most of it from these boards, I ordered a SAM SP-4 and 72 SAM pressureless balls last Monday from MasterSports. They seem like nice folks to deal with. It arrived via FedEx ground today. I charged it up while I went to the Monday tennis clinic. Unfortunately I am traveling out of town tomorrow, so I can not try it out until Wednesday. On first impression, it is bigger than I expected. In all the pictures they never show it against a person or a car to give you some kind of persepective. So far all I know is that it runs as I fired it up in the house without any balls loaded. My community club has 2 little-used new unlighted courts. So we will see how much fun this thing will be.

dcottrill
10-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Congratulations on the arrival of your new ball machine. Please give us a detailed review after you've used it a few times.

jluspo
10-03-2006, 07:47 AM
After much research, most of it from these boards, I ordered a SAM SP-4 and 72 SAM pressureless balls last Monday from MasterSports. They seem like nice folks to deal with. It arrived via FedEx ground today. I charged it up while I went to the Monday tennis clinic. Unfortunately I am traveling out of town tomorrow, so I can not try it out until Wednesday. On first impression, it is bigger than I expected. In all the pictures they never show it against a person or a car to give you some kind of persepective. So far all I know is that it runs as I fired it up in the house without any balls loaded. My community club has 2 little-used new unlighted courts. So we will see how much fun this thing will be.

Congrats on your purchase! I just ordered the SAM SP-1 from the same place! How long did it take from the time you purchased to delivery?

I chose the SP-1 because of a few reason (I'm justifying my reasons here):

1. Price (under $1K) -- this is really the main reason.
2. Same "base" machine as the SP-4
3. I don't think I will realistically need the other features ( I may regret this later but . . . )
4. All of the drills published in the SAM Training Drills document are doable using this machine.

Good Luck!

mikenpat
10-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Congrats on your purchase! I just ordered the SAM SP-1 from the same place! How long did it take from the time you purchased to delivery?

I chose the SP-1 because of a few reason (I'm justifying my reasons here):

1. Price (under $1K) -- this is really the main reason.
2. Same "base" machine as the SP-4
3. I don't think I will realistically need the other features ( I may regret this later but . . . )
4. All of the drills published in the SAM Training Drills document are doable using this machine.

Good Luck!

It took exactly one week to get delivered via FedEx ground. I need to get some sleep and then get out to try it out.

RE Drills, where did you find published ball machine drills?

jluspo
10-04-2006, 04:28 AM
RE Drills, where did you find published ball machine drills?

I found the drills on this site: http://tennis-warehouse.com.au/

go to ball machine --> SAM --> SAM SP and scroll towards the bottom. Under more information, there's a ball machine training drill.

mikenpat
10-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Ok - after 3 days I have been out twice with the SP -4. Work gets in the way sometimes. I had some questions about the machine and I tell you the guys at Master Sports are GREAT in customer service. I called them from the court. They were very careful to get all my needs met and got me working the machine just fine. I would recommend buying directly from Master Sports. Reviews about the other retailers scared me away and I am happy I bought direct. The machine does take some getting used to in that you must tune the ball speed, shot speed, height and sweep pretty carfully to make for a useful workout. I am really glad to have the full function remote in that I set up the machine, at the machine and make fine tuning adjustments from the recieving end. I think it would be a pain and waste balls to walk back to the machine for adjustments. Today I got past total focus on the machine and got to the real goal - working on my form. Random sweep at 2 seconds really had me running: great workout. I have not played with the spin controls yet. That is next.

dcottrill
10-06-2006, 07:31 PM
As someone who is seriously considering getting one of the SAM SP models, I really appreciate your report.

Keep them coming.