PDA

View Full Version : 03 hybrid tour - 2 types of grip shapes?

CliffH
10-02-2006, 08:05 PM
Hey, I plan to switch to the hybrid but I thought the flat sided grip sucked
on the 2 demos that I had - size 3/8, so I checked out a 1/2 demo and the first thing I noticed was the DIFFERENT grip shape.

The 1/2 demo was once again the normal prince grip ,with even bevelled sides. I still have the TW demo with the odd, flatsided head style 3/8 grip, as was the other 3/8 demo. I showed the two to several other players who agreed that they were totally different.

What's up? I will try the 1/2 grip tomorrow but I really wanted a 3/8 in the standard grip shape though I expect the 1/2 will be fine. Now I have to get my racquets in person so I get the correct grip configuration.

Has any one else noticed this?

thejuice
10-02-2006, 08:12 PM
The demo racquets are 4 3/8 and they do feel like regular Prince grips but the 1/2 and 5/8 grips feel significantly more rectangular.

Cliff, I noted that back in MasterTS' Countdown to the Hybrid Tour thread. To me, the 3/8 is closer to the traditional Prince shape (maybe even closer to the Fischer grip). One of the things that sold me was the fact that the 5/8 felt like a PK or Volkl grip.

BiGGieStuFF
10-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Cliff, I noted that back in MasterTS' Countdown to the Hybrid Tour thread. To me, the 3/8 is closer to the traditional Prince shape (maybe even closer to the Fischer grip). One of the things that sold me was the fact that the 5/8 felt like a PK or Volkl grip.

I'm actually not a fan of thet volkl grip so maybe I'll stick with 3/8. Thank god it does already feel like a 1/2 though

CliffH
10-03-2006, 06:40 AM
Thejuice, I remembered your post.

What a deal: pick your grip shape by size! Unbelievable. I used to make grips smaller, trying to keep the original bevels by marking the whole handle with felt pen then sanding with a block or file only until the color was gone. Then repeating. This took some time but didn't screw up the shape.

I will try out the half grip size today.

Thank you thejuice for noticing, as I did not like the 3/8 grip.

CliffH
10-03-2006, 06:46 PM
I talked to a local pro shop manager who said it is very normal for prince grips to differ as they get larger. Go figure.