PDA

View Full Version : How often should you re-string your racquet?

StealthGnome
10-02-2006, 08:18 PM
It's been 3 months. The strings are looser then before. How often do YOU re-string your racquets? I have an i.Radical OS. If I was to re-string it, what should I buy and string at?

borisboris
10-02-2006, 08:46 PM
I play 3 X a week = re-string w/ Monogut every 2 weeks. Klip before they pop.

Roy
10-03-2006, 12:59 AM
I re-string after every 10 hours of hitting or less, cos the strings just loses too much tension, esp. Luxilon.

Valjean
10-03-2006, 04:19 AM
It's not the racquet; it's your game, the string base, its original tension, how the string that is in there has been stored and treated, and how often you play, too. Hey, but if it already feels wrong, do it now.

WhiteSox05CA
10-04-2006, 04:01 PM
One rule of thumb I heard was this...
Restring the same number of times a year, as you play a week

Ex: If you play twice a week, get it restrung 2-3 times a year

This also depends on the kind of string. Different string last shorter or longer, some lose tension faster, etc...
________
MissBARBIE live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/MissBARBIE)

Nar57981
10-04-2006, 04:19 PM
I used to have to string at least 1 every 2 weeks...fibergel power is not the best durability ><
I don't think i'll have to though with Pro Red Code though :D

Richie Rich
10-04-2006, 04:52 PM
whenever 20 hours are up - sometimes 1 week, sometimes 2 weeks. after 20 hours the string lose tension. at least poly anyway. i'm starting to string with nat gut agin after a few years absence so i'm hoping to get slightly more string life since it retains tension so well.

basil J
10-04-2006, 06:21 PM
I go every 4-8 weeks depending on how often I play. because I use a soft multi cross with a poly main, I often break strings much quicker because the mains saw right through the crosses. I just had both racquets done today after 8 hours of play on each and the strings were ready to go.

EZRA
10-04-2006, 06:40 PM
As soon as it pops.... I break Synthetics usually after 2 days of use (2hrs/day at least) ... Polyester based strings lasts a bit longer than Synthetics for me but not more than a week... took me 3 days to pop the Babolat Ballistic Polymono 16.

I usually use Aramid blends (because they last longer)... mostly Forten Thin Blends since they feel better than most Aramid/Kevlar based strings. I usually have my racquets strung once a week.. I play 4 days/week at most. I'm now switching to or Forten Aramid Gear since they're a but more durable than the Thin Blends... hopefully they'll last longer.

psamp14
10-04-2006, 06:48 PM
i think you should restring it whenever it breaks....at least thats what i do....even during summer when i play for 3-4 hrs a night, 6-7 days a week....

StealthGnome
10-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on strings?

Court_Jester
10-12-2006, 06:44 PM
The rage these days centers around polyester strings. Even I got caught up in this hoopla. :D One caveat about these strings, however: if you have a sensitive elbow or has a history of elbow injuries, stay away from these strings.

Among synthetic strings, I highly recommend Gosen OG Sheep Micro strings. They're crisp, retain tension very well and above all, cheap! If you like soft strings, try multifilaments made by Yonex, Head, Alpha and Gosen since they're less than $10 per set.

psp2
10-12-2006, 07:32 PM
I always go by the feel of the stringbed and never keep track of the "hours". If the stringbed doesn't feel right, I'll just cut it out and restring. I have cut out a stringjob with less than 5 hrs. of playing (usually nylon), or I have kept a same set in for 6 months (usually kevlar hybrid) because it still feels great.

jonolau
10-12-2006, 08:22 PM
I always go by the feel of the stringbed and never keep track of the "hours". If the stringbed doesn't feel right, I'll just cut it out and restring. I have cut out a stringjob with less than 5 hrs. of playing (usually nylon), or I have kept a same set in for 6 months (usually kevlar hybrid) because it still feels great.
I agree with psp2. I also go by feel and don't keep track of the time. Different types of strings have different rates of tension loss. Once you perceive the feel to be different, then it's time to restring. Of course, do take your budget into consideration. For those who do their own stringing at home, it's much easier and cheaper to change often. But if you leave your own stringing to others, then budget is an important consideration.

So long as the quality of your game is unaffected, keep your strings on for as long as you can bear with it.