PDA

View Full Version : Mains 75% / Crosses 25% - Not so sure....

Gabs011
10-03-2006, 12:52 AM
Up till recently I have been playing mostly with polyester strings - namely - Tecnifibre Red Code, Alu Power Rough, Wilson Enduro Tour and Kirschbaum Super Smash Spikey.

Recently I decided to go for a change. Since I saw on the string logs of many tournaments that a very high number of pros use Lux / VS Gut hybrids I decided to try the same.

I was expecting there to be only a slight difference as many people here have quoted that playing characteristics come roughly from 75% mains and 25% crosses. So naturally I was expecting the racket to play largely like a full poly job with a bit more feel and less harshness.

Well, I am now using, Alu Power main (56) and VS Gut Crosses (58) and the difference from an full poly job is like night and day. Granted, I have only used this setup for the last 3 days but it really makes a huge difference for me. The spin seems just about as good (maybe marginally less) but power and overall feel have improved dramatically. I guess the deciding factor will be durability.

So basically, while it is obviously difficult to quantify, I would say that the cross strings can make a far greater difference than 25%. Does anyone agree / disagree??

However, I can imagine that if I put a cheap syn. gut into the same hybrid it would have less of a positive effect.

elee3
10-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Try gut mains with poly crosses. Maybe the difference there will make the differences found between full poly versus poly mains with gut crosses look small.

MTChong
10-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Well if you think about what constitutes the stringbed, both the mains and the crosses... it seems rather simple; with only mains or with only crosses, a racquet will feel one way. You put the two together and you'll naturally get a different feel. I don't think one can go as far as to say that it's 50-50, but I don't think it's a split as extreme as 90-10.

What most people refer to, however, are playability characteristics - not feel. Most of the playability characteristics are retained; that figure may be around 80-90%. However, the feel will be different; why else hybrid? It cuts down the costs, but it also changes the feel to soften up the string bed (assuming it is a softer cross with poly or kevlar mains).

So...
Playability - mostly derived from mains.
Feel - representation from both the mains and the crosses; not quite 50-50, yet not as extreme at 90-10.

That's how I see it.