Discussion in 'College Tennis Talk' started by TopDawg, Jan 12, 2013.
It looks like Jomby is on fire against Kobelt, up 5-2 in the 2nd.
22 minutes and counting, is there some kind of statute of limitations on the appeals process?
Kobelt broke and is now serving at 4-5
Kobelt with a late break to go to 5-4 in the 2nd.
Could get interesting.
how's the view from the stands TopDawg?
Is the blog working? Mine still has Auburn stuff?
Looks like UK was not ready for this match today. The players,staff,fans, nobody
UK twitter indicates technical difficulties and apologizes for any inconvenience.
#2 singles is in a 2nd set breaker,
You able to catch any of that action Topdawg?
Got it on tape Jomby won it 7-4. Kobelt had an overrule go against him and got a point penalty to go down 5-1 in the TB
Appeals process must be exhausted, #5 singles is bolded on "live"stats with Buckeye victory after 46 minute delay.
Connor Smith serving for the match
Smith broke at love
Doing any heckling TopDawg?
Tiebreak at 3, minc serving 1-2
Nah, no dog in the fight
I thought SEC fans had 14 favorite teams??
kidding, if this was football i would not be kidding though
Did Christ win?
Devin serving up 4-1
McCarthy wins it 7-3
They are playing it out on other courts
All you needed to know was that this match was an actual top 4 team that made semis of indoors vs any SEC team to know it was over before it started
Hurry back to your conference wildcats
Rola takes the TB 10-7 after being down 7-2 I believe. Rossi refused to shake hands afterwards
Wow!!! what a strong finish for Blaz.
Rossi must have been devastated/disappointed.
And the Hoosiers win a 4-3 one for once, major props to the freshman Chris Essick at 6 singles who rallied back to win after a very sore loss Sunday. He showed a lot today.
I assume Jomby moves up after this in the rankings.
Got a rules question for you that came up at the conclusion of the Ohio State/Kentucky match today. On match point OSU's McCarthy was charging forward to get to a drop shot and he got it and returned it for a winner but ended up losing his balance and going into the net after the ball had bounced twice on the other end. The chair gave the point to Minc and the match continued. There were some Ohio State players saying the point should have been McCarthy's since the point was officially over once it bounced twice on the other end. What is the official rule?
After the second bounce, the point is over. The umpire must have seen it differently than the Ohio State players saw it.
if the ball had bounced twice then yes the point was over and he could have touched the net.
In this case the fact is he went into the net, did the official believe he touched net before 2 bounces is the question? The referee could have been called to court for the question of whether touching the net is valid after 2 bounces but not the fact of whether ball had bounced 1 or 2 x before touching, that is a judgement of fact by the official who may have not seen the 2nd bounce or assumed he touched before
Here is the video - it is the 1st point. It doesn't appear that he touched until the 2nd bounce unless he got it with his foot. He didn't put up too big a fight though.
keep in mind that this occurred in the state of Kentucky. That can explain the ref decision.
what is going on at Stanford webcam ? It isn't working at all anymore. only scoreboard is up. do you know what is up ?
Ohio State 6 Kentucky 1
I got to UK about midway through the doubles point due to a semi jack knifing on I-65 and shutting down the interstate for several hours. Nothing like finding your way through the back roads of Kentucky with one hand on the wheel and the other on my iphone looking at a map.
I was surprised that they were NOT playing 1 and 2 doubles on the 2 showcourts. They had doubles going on courts 3-5 which wasn't the best view for a fan but I guess they'd rather have all 3 courts going side-by-side. Ohio State won the doubles point going away - no video due to poor camera angle.
None of the scoreboards worked for the doubles point or about half the singles matches. The UK tech guy said someone in South Dakota at Daktronics was working on the problem. They never did get the blog going and the livestats seemed erratic. Not a very big crowd though there were more Ohio State fans there than I thought there would be. I'd say it was probably 60/40 UK to OSU.
Singles Lineups - Van Engelen sat out for OSU and Gomez is out for the year for Kentucky.
Here is some video of the 1st 15 minutes of play at 1 and 2.
1. Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Anthony Rossi (UK) 4-6 7-5 1-0 (7) - Rossi outplayed Rola most of the match but couldn't finish it. Here is a Rossi service game late in the 1st set. Here is Rossi serving 6-4 5-6 - he gets broke at love to send it to a 3rd set supertiebreak. Here is the 13 minute STB which Rossi led 7-3 only to see Rola win 7 straight to take it. Rossi refused to shake Rola's hand after the match.
2. Tom Jomby (UK) def. Peter Kobelt (OSU) 6-3 7-6 (3) - Not a lot of clean points in the first set. Lots of balls off the frame with several shooting about a mile up in the air. Kobelt had trouble at the net dumping several into the tape. Jomby kept it together and outworked Kobelt for most of the match. Here is Jomby serving up 3-2 in the 1st. Here is a Kobelt service game mid way through the 2nd set - nice overhead at the 3 minute mark. Jomby served for it up 5-3 in the 2nd set and was up 30-0 on his serve before losing 4 straight points to get broke. Here is the 2nd set TB. Kobelt got overruled on a line call so the score went from 4-1 to 5-1.
3. Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Charles Minc (UK) 6-3 7-6 (3) - McCarthy led just about the entire match. I didn't watch much of this one until late in the 2nd set. Lots of long rallies from the baseline. Here is the end of this match. (Bad camera angle so not much to see really). McCarthy thought he had the 2nd set TB won 7-1 but the chair said he got the net before the point ended.
4. Connor Smith (OSU) def. Grant Roberts (UK) 7-5 5-7 1-0 (6) - I saw the tail end of the 1st set and parts of the 2nd set of this one. These 2 were grinding it out the whole match. Lots of breaks of serve and lots of contested line calls; fans getting on Smith throughout the match. You could stand between courts 4 and 5 and were within 5 feet of the court. Best fan/coach confrontation was when Roberts pushed one wide that he thought was in. 2 or 3 UK fans were yelling it was in and were telling Smith to quit cheating. The Ohio State assistant coach was standing right by the ball, walked over to the mark and pointed and said to those UK fans "here's the ball mark showing it out you effin a$$holes". They got kind of quiet after that.
5. Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Kevin Lai (UK) 7-5 6-0 - Very close 1st set but the 2nd set took about 15 minutes. Diaz doesn't screw around in between points he just goes straight to the line and serves it up. Lai was hitting flat footed at the end (50 sec mark of next video). Here is match point for Diaz.
6. Constantin Christ (OSU) def. Juan Pablo Murra (UK) 6-3 6-3 - I don't think I saw 2 points from this match. Christ was up a break early in each set.
Great report dawg, much appreciated.
Almost looks like his coach is telling him he touched the net, he was right on it, but hard to tell. nice hustle and balance.
Yes I went down to the NCAA's at lexington last year and the official who appeared to be the referee (he was walking around between courts) was an officious pompous little fool. To be fair, the UK fans were pretty classy unlike Louisville fans on my experiences with them.
what camera do you use TopDawg? I could take some Cal videos.
Want to echo the appreciation for Topdawg's coverage, ... excellent recap, live reporting and great videos from Kentucky.
The Buckeyes will have a home match Friday, hosting B1G opponent Wisconsin.
April 5 also will mark the 10 year anniversary since the last OSU home defeat, when Illinois captured a 5-2 win at C'bus.
The NCAA records don't keep all the details of historic accomplishments, but the 165 match consecutive home win streak is not just the longest in NCAA men's tennis, but according to the OSU Men's tennis site, the longest in NCAA history of any sport.
I plan to attend and while my video skills are not TopDawg proficient, will share some observations after the match.
Sony Handycam - not sure of model - records in HD is the most important thing - got it as a Xmas present a few years ago. Only a few hundred dollars I believe.
thanks for those VDO s .. what do you think of C.Diaz's crazy helicopter forehand ? is it effective at all ? I saw him hit some on your VDO and he also hit some with a normal followthrough .. what's the difference you see ?
He seemed to be doing a good job keeping it in play all day. Not sure why he changes it up maybe depends on the time to set up for the shot. As you get older some of these guys look younger and younger. I swear Diaz looks like he's about 15 then you've got Connor Smith who looks like he's in his 30s with that beard.
Tons of action today. I put the ones in bold that should be the best of the group. So who is everyone's upset special of the day? I'm leaning South Carolina or Stanford.
#66 North Florida at #26 Florida State - Noon est - Livestats - Noles also play Boston College at 5pm. FSU 4-1
#10 Pepperdine at Gonzaga – 2pm est/11am pst - No Live Scoring - Pepperdine 6-1
#6 Tennessee at #53 Arkansas – 2pm est/1pm cst – Livestats & Arkansas Blog & UT Blog - Tennessee 4-0
#58 Nebraska at #63 Purdue - 2pm est - Livestats - Purdue 7-0
#9 Duke at #19 Clemson – 2:30pm est –Livestats - Duke 7-0
#37 Minnesota at Penn State - 3pm est - Livestats - Minnesota 5-2
#1 Virginia at #25 Wake Forest – 3pm est – Livestats
#20 South Carolina at #13 Mississippi State – 3pm est/2pm cst –Livestats - Miss St 4-2
#50 Louisville at #24 VCU – 3pm est – Livestats - Louisville 4-2
#33 TCU at Oklahoma State - 3:30pm est/2:30pm cst - No Livestats - TCU 7-0
#55 Virginia Tech at #36 NC State – 4pm est – Livestats - Va Tech 4-3
#4 Georgia at #32 LSU – 4pm est/3pm cst – Livestats - Georgia 4-0
#65 SMU at #31 Notre Dame – 4pm est – Livestats - Irish 6-1
North Carolina at Georgia Tech - 4pm est - Livestats - UNC 5-2
#21 Cal at #44 Oregon – 4pm est/1pm pst – No Live Scoring - Cal 4-3
#71 Arizona at #3 USC – 4:30pm est/1:30pm pst – Livestats
#75 Utah at #2 UCLA – 4:30pm est/1:30pm pst – Livestats - UCLA 6-1
#47 Stanford at #30 Washington – 4:30pm est/1:30pm pst – Livestats & Live Video of Court1 - Stanford 4-3
Wisconsin at #5 Ohio State – 5pm est – Livestats - Buckeyes 7-0
#17 Florida at #7 Ole Miss – 5pm est/4pm cst – Livestats & Ole Miss Blog - Gators 4-1
#12 Texas A&M at #27 Auburn – 6pm est/5pm cst – Livestats
#16 Texas at #11 Oklahoma – 6:30pm est/5:30pm cst – Livestats
#22 Tulsa at #38 Texas Tech – 7pm est/6pm cst – LiveStats
JLyon, you going to be in a chair for Ole Miss/Florida?
Virginia-Wake Forest match was rescheduled for Saturday.
Nope at home for this one, I'll be in town Sunday for SC
I'll take Florida in a mild upset.
Jordan Kelly-Houston goes down 6-0 6-1. FSU and North Florida tied at 1
I have 2 matches at University of Pacific this weekend. Next weekend one at Cal and 2 more at Pacific. Then going to Raleigh to work the ACC's this year.
Louisville beat VCU 4-2
Miss St and South Carolina tied 2 all. 1, 2, and 3 singles all in a 3rd set.
Looks like It may come down to a Adams/Stropp tiebreak.
Massive win for Louisville. Goes against all the logic of other results.
Separate names with a comma.