Discussion in 'College Tennis Talk' started by Clemson_tennis, Mar 27, 2011.
I guess I wasn't off on the Ok State match being the tougher of the 2.
If they played at the indoors I'd probably take UNC 4-3. I think UNC would take dubs and get either #1 or #2 plus I'd like Clark and Kelly at 3 & 5. Still not sold on Bogaerts yet.
That was a good call.
ITA requires at least 2 officials for a match to count in ranking purposes, this case with such a high profile match they should have had 6 chairs and maybe 1 referee
I think too soon having watched 1 and 2 for UNC. They are strong at 3, 4 and 5 however.
1. Mansouri vs. Schnur - I'd give the edge to Schnur here, but I'm not convinced that Petros won't make it back to 1 come spring.
2. Petros vs. Ronnie - I'd give the edge to Petros here
3. Romo vs Clark - I'd go with Romo here
4. Ho vs. Murray - pretty close here
5. Uspensky vs. Kelly - Uspensky even though he has lost 2 in a row
6. Seraphim vs. Kodali - Seraphim
This is my biased breakdown based on the lineups that each used last weekend. I'm still giving UNC the edge in dubs, and I'll bet they win one of the matches I gave to Wake based on me being biased and the match taking place in Chapel Hill. Either way, it's shaping up to be a 4-3 win for someone. The real question is whether one of them can round into form enough to put a real scare into UVA?
That's a tough, tough out right there.
Is this the Nick Samardzic that showed up on LSU's roster this week?
Ouch for Wake!
I never knew he committed to Wake because LSU announced his signing back in November
Almost a great upset win for FSU. The Whitehurst's are decent players but they just aren't good enough to beat more talented guys, they both have fairly limited games and that cost FSU in the end.
Duke loses 7-0 to Michigan. Ouch. Things are worse than we thought in Durham this year
big win for unc at home against oklahoma. andrew harris played doubles for OU but no singles. really awesome atmosphere.
I was there too Rod, great win. Schnur still doesnt look match fit but Schneider at 2 looked back.
big effort for unc
Adjusted rankings would drop Louisville below Miami and Clemson. They were slaughtered by Oregon and look to be getting worse. Duke should drop below NC State and Notre Dame and maybe GT as well. They were beaten soundly by Michigan while Notre Dame beat Indiana and NC State beat South Carolina. GT gave UGA an ok match. UNC and Wake maybe a hair closer to UVA now. FSU moves a little closer to those two as well based on their strong effort in College Station.
UNC getting better as injuries fade, still a concern at 1 however and they are relatively weak at 6 singles and 3 doubles.
Excited for #1 UVA vs #9 UCLA today. Anticipated linuep:
1. Ryan Shane v Mackie McDonald
2. Kwiatkoski v Redlicki
3. Altamirano v Brymer
4. Mac S v L Staggs
5. JC v Rapp
6. Henrik v DiGulio
Is Karue Sell not playing?
Not sure, probably is, just taking a first cut lineup guess.
Pretty impressive 6-1 win for Virginia over UCLA.
amazing how bad the lower acc Teams are getting....Clemson, Lville, Duke all played really fine in the last years but this year? But UVA Wake and UNC all looking very good ! all contenders for NCAA Title or at least semis!
new power rankings:
1. North Carolina - First time Virginia has been pipped at the top in ages
3. Wake Forest - so close to the top 2
4. Florida State - Solid but nothing spectacular. Taking A&M to the edge in College Station was impressive
5. Virginia Tech
6. Notre Dame - Taking out Indiana and Michigan with relative ease moves them up
7. NC State
8. Georgia Tech
9. Duke - got obliterated by Vanderbilt. The young freshmen not showing good signs early. Alvarez having a sophomore slump year so far.
10. Miami - have some talent up top. Need some more challenging matches to truly judge
11. Clemson - Inconsistencies and lack of power in lineup. Over Louisville because of Favrot at the top
12. Louisville - very weak team this year
13. Boston College - As always
Not a good weekend for the ACC.
Wake loses to Texas but does beat Texas Tech.
Virginia falls to Illinois.
FSU swept by Florida in a match that they needed to win.
Clemson pulverized by South Carolina
NC State had the worst of it, losing to both UNCW and Old Dominion to drop them from top 30 discussions.
on the plus.
Georgia Tech beat Tennessee fairly easily.
Notre Dame gave Ohio State a very good match, much closer than Ohio State's match vs Penn State.
UNC had a cupcake against North Carolina Central last night. Schneider and Clark played singles but nobody else in the top 6 played. I looked at the box score and noticed that Central had to forfeit #6 singles and #3 doubles b/c they only had 5 players. I looked at their roster and they only have 5 guys on their roster and has been forfeiting these lines in matches this year. I also noticed that the #5 player had not won a game this year. So I did some research and found a Durham article saying that due to graduation/transfers, the team only had 4 guys on the team. So they had open tryouts and this guy was the only one who could get cleared with the NCAA. He also had only been playing tennis for 3 weeks (in a PE class at Central) and had never played a real match in his life prior to being on the team just last month! Admire him for trying, but I found that pretty unbelievable.
Wow, that is unbelievable. Wake played Norfolk State on Sunday night and they also only had 5 players on the roster and had to forfeit matches. I just looked and Norfolk State doesn't play NCCU this year...
It happens. For lesser known/lesser funded programs, it's easy to move towards obscurity. When that happens, players look to get out. My cousin played for NCCU in mid to late 90s and they were solid then but I recall him saying that some of the skill levels of guys trying out amounted to that of a beginner.
The NC Central women had quite a few European players a year or so ago, I havent looked lately. To come and play tennis at a historically black college must be quite interesting.
anyone think GT can knock of Wake today with Wake missing Crysochos and Mansouri? Would be huge for the Jackets.
I do. Crappy thing is a win like that counts the same no matter who is in or not in the line up. That's the way it goes and good luck to the Jackets.
more like a big win for a short handed WFU team
Big missed opportunity for GT for sure. That could have really launched their ranking.
I was surprised to see VT batter NC State so thoroughly. NC State was looking good at #25 a couple of weeks ago and now is in free-fall. They are going to need to get things back on track soon.
I feel like FSU will give UNC more than they want this afternoon. Expect a close match.
wow I did not think they would actually win though
Women's tennis: #10 UVa 4-2 over #6 Michigan.
still in shock that FSU beat UNC. FSU has looked so poor in matches, yet here they pull it together and play the way they are supposed to. Did anyone see the match? And "gulp" here OSU will go to #1
There is a possibility that Virginia will be #1 if we beat Oklahoma.
UVA defeated OU....up 4-1 right now
Strange where UNC lost. They are very short of depth however, they deserved the indoors and ranking that came with it but I have never seen them as being that strong so I am not shocked by this.
New power rankings with power gaps. All gaps have narrowed (except the BC gap)
1. Virginia - I think it's safe to put Virginia back at #1. Getting two nice wins in Tulsa was nice. Even though they are not looking as dominant as people expected they are still top of the line (nobody in the nation is looking dominant).
2. North Carolina - Loss to FSU was pretty stunning. The lack of matchplay in the past month is largely to blame. The team pretty much had a month off after winning the indoor title.
3. Wake Forest - Like UNC previously, we have not seen Wake at full stride in a big match in a while.
4. Florida State - Showed the have the potential to pull off the big upset. Still a very hard team to figure out though as they can still lose to the likes of Miami.
5. Virginia Tech - Could be ahead of FSU but right now they are behind them because they have not showed the capability of getting a big scalp yet like FSU has. The Hokies did demolish NC State. It'll be interesting to see how well they do vs FSU, Wake and UNC.
6. Georgia Tech - Wasted a big chance a couple weeks ago to get a big win vs a depleted Wake squad but other than that they have shown encouraging results recently. Beating NC State 5-2 on the road was a very solid win.
7. NC State - This has not been a good team for a few weeks now. Losing 5-2 at home to GT was discouraging. Their ranking is being propped up thanks to the win over the Wake Forest B team. Without that win this team would be in serious jeopardy of not being an NCAA tournament team. The losses to Old Dominion and UNCW were disastrous losses.
8. Duke - Starting to show a bit more fight and ability recently. They are showing that they are capable of an upset as the ACC season goes on and for that reason you cannot dismiss their tournament chances just yet. Very close to a win vs GT and had a crushing loss to FSU which would have helped out immensely, came down to the final few games on 2 courts.
9. Notre Dame - They are being held up in the rankings based off of one performance vs Michigan. That and their close battle with Ohio State are their only good performances of the year. Losing to Clemson was a very bad loss for them even without Monaghan. With Monaghan back they did not give Wake any type of fight.
10. Miami - Bigtime win over FSU last week but then the losses to MTSU and Duke really stopped any type of momentum they were hoping to gain. Has shown they have ability and are not a whipping boy but still needs wins very soon.
11. Clemson - Win over Notre Dame shows they are not a pushover as the ACC season continues on and giving FSU a tough fight also showed their ability. Will need to take their chances vs GT, NC State etc. if they are to move up in the ACC.
12. Louisville - Weakest scholarship team in the league this season. Close match with Clemson, but blew two 3rd set leads late that cost them to chanec to get an elusive ACC win (not likely to get one this year outside of BC).
13. Boston College
UVA with an impressive 7-0 sweep of FSU. NC State gave UNC a decent match - I guess Schneider is playing 1 now for UNC over Schnur? Wake has looked good, though they play 6 of their next 7 on the road (after 13 straight at home), so it will be interesting to see how they do against FSU, Miami, VT etc (not to mention UNC and UVA).
UVA clearly back in drivers seat to win the NC
Carolina top of the order still a bit messy, Clark plays there today and loses.
Rainy in Chapel Hill so we are indoors
Nothing crazy this weekend. Wake and UNC beat down the challenges of VT and FSU rather convincingly showing that there is still a sizable gap from the top 3 to the rest (well as big a gap as there can be in this crazy season).
UNC won handily with Schnur sitting out in singles. Virginia Tech looked better than this in the fall.
Good win for the Heels, Clark, Murray and Kelly are a great 3-4-5 but when they move up it becomes less so. Nice they came through today.
VTech's #2 sat out as well, but doubt it would have mattered. Next Sunday afternoon should be a great one. Robert Kelly has turned into a much, much better college tennis player than I expected. Wake appears healthy. I have to assume UNC will work hard to get Schnur as close to 100% as possible for next week. Who does UNC have on Friday? Wake is at VTech.
The Yellow Jacket men continue to play solid into the season with a win against Notre Dame. If they continue to play this way, I expect them to get past Miami, VT and Boston College (easily). They're going to need something extra special against Virginia and North Carolina.
Separate names with a comma.