Is Willpower DEAD, or will it be? POLL

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by chess9, Jul 10, 2007.

?

Is Will Power Dead; are we the product of our environment when it comes to diet?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2007.
  1. yes

    11.1%
  2. no

    44.4%
  3. some yes, some no

    44.4%
  1. chess9

    chess9 Hall of Fame

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2005
    Messages:
    4,274
    Location:
    1.d4
    #1
  2. chess9

    chess9 Hall of Fame

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2005
    Messages:
    4,274
    Location:
    1.d4
    LOL! So, the jury is out!!!! :)

    -Robert
     
    #2
  3. Kevin T

    Kevin T Professional

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2004
    Messages:
    1,425
    Location:
    Too far from the Blue Ridge
    Nice link Chess. As a Registered Dietitian and nutrition professor, I have taught/educated/prodded/you name it, multiple obese to morbidly obese individuals. About two years ago, I just stopped working with the overweight. I will freely admitt that I have a bias against them. I would rather work with the critically ill/cancer patients/transplant patients/athletes. The best research (IMHO) indicates that anywhere from 3-10% are truly metabolically challenged, ie., thyroid disorders, etc. That leaves >90% as overeaters, underexercisers, combos of both, whatever. It's always something elses' or someone elses' fault for their obesity. "Daddy died when I was young" "Mama called me fat when I was 5" "Steve didn't ask me out to junior prom" I just couldn't take it, always an excuse. Researchers will always find ways to find genetic causes/links, hormone triggers, chemical imbalances, and they'll likely find a few. It's always been as simple as eat less, work more. Some people might have to eat much less and work much more but that's life. Watch past seasons of "The Biggest Loser" and you'll see the typical patient that gets fast-tracked into gastric bypass in most cases actually lose 100# or so from eating proper serving sizes and getting off their duffs and moving that weight. "But doc, I eat like a bird and walked every day this week and still gained 3#!" Yep, whatever. I know I sound harsh but I have experience with hundreds of these patients. I guess that's why women do better when counseling obesity and eating disorders :)
     
    #3
  4. chess9

    chess9 Hall of Fame

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2005
    Messages:
    4,274
    Location:
    1.d4
    I have done a lot of training and my experience is that everyone has an excuse, so I agree with you. Once you realize that the reason you are fat is probably because you have the will power of a gnat when it comes to food, then, and only then can you do something about it. Interestingly, people who can run Fortune 500 companies can eat like pigs and frequently do. Anyone seen Donald Trump's waistline? He isn't getting those ladies with his physique!

    The same is true for smoking, alcohol, drug abuse, and other forms of addiction.

    I would make a terrible addiction counselor because I think the prescription is more will power, not blaming environmental causes. (though, I admit some portion of the problem is environmental, such as stress, poor eating habits learned from parents, chemicals, bad air, genes, thyroid problems, etc.)

    -Robert
     
    #4
  5. armand

    armand Banned

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2005
    Messages:
    3,747
    Location:
    RDS001 90: SPPP 1.18 @ 63/61
    I think obesity is more of a psychological disorder then. People have issues and will try to ignore them somehow by boozing, eating, shopping etc.
     
    #5

Share This Page