OK, it's time to decide what to do about this knee. Long story short. The MRI says incomplete lateral meniscus tear and arthritis. Physical exam says medial meniscus tear. Xrays say no arthritis. Several weeks of PT didn't resolve things. OS says he can't do anything more short of surgery. OS says it makes sense to do an exploratory arthroscopy: Go in, look around, clean it up. OS says I would be out 4-6 weeks. As things stand, there is definitely something wrong with the knee. It doesn't hurt when I play doubles, but I am extremely slow. When I run, it starts hurting after about 5 minutes. No matter how much or how little I play (or ice or Advil), my knee is sore, especially after I've been sitting a while. I spend a lot of time trying to manage swelling. I am really on the fence about this. I had arthroscopic surgery on the other knee in 2005, but that decision was easy because that knee was so bad. Still, it took a year before the knee (and my fitness) was 100%. It's hard to believe the promises of 4-6 weeks this time around given what happened last time. Still, if I go ahead and have the surgery now, then I could put my energies into rehab rather than putting my effort into (unsuccessful) attempts to manage things. I have heard that living with a bad meniscus raises your risk of arthritis. I am very worried that I have lost some strength in this leg, and that could set me up for a more serious injury (I already got a stress fracture and bone bruise, which I doubt would have happened on a healthy knee). I could miss Dec. and Jan., but I'd perhaps be ready to play in February. Then again, every surgery has risks, and I would hate myself if the surgery went bad and created more problems than it solved. Or I could just soldier on and schedule the surgery after the 2010 adult season in June, so I'd have the entire summer to recover. And maybe by then the knee would have gotten better on its own. But if I wait that long, I will be a pile of wriggling Jello in terms of loss of overall fitness and strength, and that will take a long time to recover, assuming I can recover my fitness at all at my age. Anybody got any bright ideas? Should I do this now (like, this week) or wait?