What are your favorite lefty tactics?

Discussion in 'Tennis Tips/Instruction' started by NE1for10is?, Aug 31, 2013.

  1. NE1for10is?

    NE1for10is? Semi-Pro

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    Messages:
    475
    Other than the obvious slice wide to the ad court, what kind of tactics do you like to use against righties that you think work to your advantage from being a lefty?
     
    #1
  2. Say Chi Sin Lo

    Say Chi Sin Lo Legend

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    9,084
    This thread is just evil. I dislike you lefties when you're on the opposite side of the net.
     
    #2
  3. Larrysümmers

    Larrysümmers Hall of Fame

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2009
    Messages:
    3,990
    Location:
    1313 Mockingbird Lane.
    i like when they hit the slice to the ad court, ill challenge them with my BH return all day. (granted they are the same rating as me, obv a 5.0 lefty would kill me.)
     
    #3
  4. SystemicAnomaly

    SystemicAnomaly G.O.A.T.

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2006
    Messages:
    10,930
    Location:
    Stuck in the Matrix somewhere in Santa Clara CA
    Serving into the body on the FH side can be very effective. I would often hit what I liked to call my "heat-seeking" serve. Righty returners would often try to run around my serve to take the ball with their FH. However, the ball would often follow them, breaking into the body, so that they were jammed trying to hit the FH.

    Another great great lefty tactic is to hit very high topspin shots to Federer's BH.

    Best to keep a lefty on your side of the net.
     
    #4
  5. The Meat

    The Meat Hall of Fame

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2012
    Messages:
    1,998
    What tactics do you like to use against lefties that you think would work to your advantage from being a righty? :)

    It's just different spins, it's not all that difficult to adjust to it. Just think everything in reverse.
     
    #5
  6. Say Chi Sin Lo

    Say Chi Sin Lo Legend

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    9,084
    Not sure if that'll help, my doubles game is not great.

    But the trajectory of lefty serves are just awkward.
     
    #6
  7. corbind

    corbind Professional

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    1,308
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    +1

    It should be illegal to play lefty unless against another lefty! Unfortunately my game is designed around hitting most balls to a righty's BH so ad side. That is a lefty's FH and I get destroyed. Even my wide kicker ad side comes back.
     
    #7
  8. SystemicAnomaly

    SystemicAnomaly G.O.A.T.

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2006
    Messages:
    10,930
    Location:
    Stuck in the Matrix somewhere in Santa Clara CA
    My right-handed brother used to complain about playing against other righties. He was so accustomed to my left-handed game, playing against right-handed players was weird for him for quite a while.
     
    #8
  9. EatMyForehand

    EatMyForehand Rookie

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2013
    Messages:
    138
    Location:
    New York City
    Damn lefties. All you guys do this to me...
     
    #9
  10. EatMyForehand

    EatMyForehand Rookie

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2013
    Messages:
    138
    Location:
    New York City
    I use a lot of slice and try to bring lefties to the net. Most lefties I play try to grind it out on the baseline and aren't as efficient at the net.
     
    #10
  11. user92626

    user92626 Legend

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2008
    Messages:
    6,142
    The approaching slice.

    You get a short, low ball to your bh. You run up and slice hard and approach the net on the same run. Almost all the time your shot will bounce toward your opponent's body or bh side and plus they don't have enough time to react given the distance. :)

    And, probably any kind of slice serve that makes it. At 4.0 or below any time your opponent returns from the spot beyond the doubles side line with their bh, they tend to screw up big time.
     
    #11
  12. Baxter

    Baxter Professional

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2008
    Messages:
    1,309
    Location:
    Colorado
    Slice 1st serve to the rightie BH 80% of the time and flat to the forehand the other 20%.

    Slice cross court return wide into the duece alley in doubles.
     
    #12

Share This Page