What to do about inclement weather for Regional tournament?

Discussion in 'Junior League & Tournament Talk' started by Sgv10sPlyr, Jan 24, 2013.

  1. Sgv10sPlyr

    Sgv10sPlyr New User

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2007
    Messages:
    16
    My son is in the Las Vegas Regional tournament this weekend, but the weather forecast indicates rain for Saturday and Sunday. I am in the Los Angeles area...so would you guys still make the drive out there and wait around for the whole weekend?
     
    #1
  2. woodrow1029

    woodrow1029 Hall of Fame

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2012
    Messages:
    2,653
    If the tournament is played, and you don't go because of potential weather problems, suspension points could be a factor.
     
    #2
  3. tennis5

    tennis5 Professional

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2010
    Messages:
    1,290
    If he doesn't pull out, and is a no show, then yes suspension points.

    But, if the called the TD and explained that it was going to be a hardship to make the trip and needed to pull out,
    they will fill from the alternate list.
    NO SUSPENSION POINTS.

    I have pulled my son from national tournaments due to illness and sick parents, and I have never encountered a problem,
    and found the TD are always compassionate.
     
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    #3
  4. woodrow1029

    woodrow1029 Hall of Fame

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2012
    Messages:
    2,653
    Well, you got lucky. In some sections, you are still subject to suspension points for withdrawals for any reason.
     
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    #4
  5. woodrow1029

    woodrow1029 Hall of Fame

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2012
    Messages:
    2,653
    But, yes, I was thinking more along the lines of "no-show".
     
    #5
  6. Sgv10sPlyr

    Sgv10sPlyr New User

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2007
    Messages:
    16
    If the weather got bad enough where I would have to drive through snow in the Cajon Pass to get to Las Vegas, I think I would definitely let the TD know in advance so he can place an alternate in the draw.

    Being from SoCal, the thought of driving in snow is not something I look forward to.
     
    #6
  7. Chemist

    Chemist Rookie

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2012
    Messages:
    344
    Location:
    Near a tennis court
    Weather.com shows 40% chance of rain on Saturday and good weather for both Sunday and Monday in Vegas. Your son can still get to play several matches, even if Saturday were to rain out.

    I pulled my son out last years L3 in Atlanta because of 80-100% chance of rains everyday Saturday to Monday. The tournament director was ok for me to pull him out, raining was my excuse in my email. I don't think any boys matches were completed. All players except us got refunded for the entry fees. But we still saved a few hundreds in car rental and hotel; we were not thrilled for wasting $300 to cancel non-refundable air tickets.
     
    #7
  8. Sgv10sPlyr

    Sgv10sPlyr New User

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2007
    Messages:
    16
    So tournament play was canceled on Saturday due to rain, now the players will have to play up to three singles matches and one doubles. At least now if the match goes to third set, it will be a super tiebreak.

    Life can be tough as a competitive tennis player sometimes.
     
    #8
  9. Chemist

    Chemist Rookie

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2012
    Messages:
    344
    Location:
    Near a tennis court
    Looks like you have made a very smart decision not driving thru snowy mountains:)
     
    #9

Share This Page