Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Did Connors ever win a tournament on red clay? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=100327)

sandy mayer 10-05-2006 01:29 PM

Did Connors ever win a tournament on red clay?

Connors won 11 clay court titles, but did he ever win a tournament on red clay as opposed to green clay?

Moose Malloy 10-05-2006 01:31 PM

No, but as you observed in your other thread, he didn't play many events on red clay(esp during his prime)

I don't think McEnroe won an event on red clay either.

sandy mayer 10-05-2006 01:35 PM

Thanks Moose. Do you know if any of the following players won on red clay: Becker, Edberg, Rafter, Hewitt, Philipoussis, Roddick?
I know Sampras won the Italian Open. I'm pretty sure Ivanisevic won on red clay too.

vive le beau jeu ! 10-05-2006 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy mayer
Thanks Moose. Do you know if any of the following players won on red clay: Becker, Edberg, Rafter, Hewitt, Philipoussis, Roddick?
I know Sampras won the Italian Open. I'm pretty sure Ivanisevic won on red clay too.

becker : no
edberg : 3
rafter : no
hewitt : i think the clay wasn't red... ;) need to check !
philippoussis : 1
roddick : 1
ivanisevic : 3
sampras : 2

Moose Malloy 10-05-2006 01:39 PM

beat me to it. Ivanisevic did win on red clay, as did Stich & Krajicek.

And no joke, Todd Martin won Barcelona one year!

Moose Malloy 10-05-2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

when was this?

Quote:

Becker had a MP vs Muster in the '95 Monte Carlo Final(the year Muster went undefeated on clay) He went for a 120 mph 2nd serve & double-faulted.

vive le beau jeu ! 10-05-2006 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose Malloy
when was this?

Becker had a MP vs Muster in the '95 Monte Carlo Final(the year Muster went undefeated on clay) He went for a 120 mph 2nd serve & double-faulted.

for philippoussis i think it was in 1997 against corretja in munich...

that becker-muster match was great :)
appart from this risky serve from becker, i think there was a 2nd match point where muster hit a incredible defense shot...

rare to see becker lost after leading 2 sets to 0...
and rare to see him bageled ! ;)

Moose Malloy 10-05-2006 01:48 PM

Quote:

for philippoussis i think it was in 1997 against corretja in munich...
wow, that's impressive. guess flipper is one of the few active players who have won on all 4 surfaces(hard, clay, grass, carpet)

vive le beau jeu ! 10-05-2006 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose Malloy
wow, that's impressive. guess flipper is one of the few active players who have won on all 4 surfaces(hard, clay, grass, carpet)

well... if we are strict, he didn't as his indoor titles were on hardcourt and not on carpet ;)
but if we consider the quartet indoor/hard(outdoor)/clay/grass... yes he did :)
and that's indeed an impressive performance...

the other active players that did it are federer, roddick and hewitt (same case than philippoussis : indoor but not on carpet)
i might forget somebody but i don't see any other one at the moment...

urban 10-05-2006 11:51 PM

Beckers clay record isn't that bad despite never winning an official event. I saw him win a small exhibition in the Netherlands over Sampras. He was finalist in Monte Carlo thrice, finalist in Hamburg (losing to a slice-baller named Aguilera), finalist at Rome, and three times semifinalist at Paris. And he won important DC matches on clay vs US and Sweden.

AndrewD 10-06-2006 04:05 AM

Also remember that Philippoussis won both of his matches in the 1999 Davis Cup Final against France, which was played on red clay. It mightn't have been a tournament per se but played on red clay and in France it was an almighty achievement. Of course, Philippoussis did grow up playing on dirt courts.

vive le beau jeu ! 10-06-2006 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban
Beckers clay record isn't that bad despite never winning an official event. I saw him win a small exhibition in the Netherlands over Sampras. He was finalist in Monte Carlo thrice, finalist in Hamburg (losing to a slice-baller named Aguilera), finalist at Rome, and three times semifinalist at Paris. And he won important DC matches on clay vs US and Sweden.

although i was not a becker fan, i have to agree with that... it's really surprising that he didn't manage to win one !
i remember he kept trying at the end of his career when he played some summer clay court events in 1998 (the year when he skipped wimbledon) and was once again close to achieve it !

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewD
Also remember that Philippoussis won both of his matches in the 1999 Davis Cup Final against France, which was played on red clay. It mightn't have been a tournament per se but played on red clay and in France it was an almighty achievement. Of course, Philippoussis did grow up playing on dirt courts.

he was so strong during this davis cup final...
grosjean may have been a bit "tender" the 1st day... but what a match vs pioline !
impressive. :)

framer 10-06-2006 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vive le beau jeu !
edberg : 3
rafter : no
roddick : 1
ivanisevic : 3
sampras : 2

Hasn't Roddick won the US Clay Court Championships multiple times? I think that's on red clay.

vive le beau jeu ! 10-06-2006 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by framer
Hasn't Roddick won the US Clay Court Championships multiple times? I think that's on red clay.

good point.
yes you're right : he won it 3 times......
but wasn't the surface changed from green to red clay only this year ? (that's what i supposed...)
... or maybe the year before ?
in this case... it would make +1 for roddick !

tennus 10-06-2006 06:35 AM

Quote:

Hewitt beat Guga (former world no 1)on clay in Argentina (Davis Cup match ). Back then he was just an up and comer. :) South Americans could tells us if on red or green clay. :)

MLoutch 10-06-2006 06:40 AM

Quote:

good point.
yes you're right : he won it 3 times......
but wasn't the surface changed from green to red clay only this year ? (that's what i supposed...)
... or maybe the year before ?
in this case... it would make +1 for roddick !

No it's always been red clay in Houston - In fact westside (the facility) imports the clay from France and has had the grounds crew from the FFT come over and help set up the courts.

vive le beau jeu ! 10-06-2006 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLoutch
No it's always been red clay in Houston - In fact westside (the facility) imports the clay from France and has had the grounds crew from the FFT come over and help set up the courts.

ok my bad, then 4 for roddick ! (for his other clay court tournament win, atlanta... this time it's green clay, right ?)
by the way... is this houston clay as "slow" as outside the USA ?
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennus
Hewitt beat Guga (former world no 1)on clay in Argentina (Davis Cup match ). Back then he was just an up and comer. :) South Americans could tells us if on red or green clay. :)

oh this one was red... and it was a great performance from lleyton !
(3 straight set wins)
http://www.daviscup.com/ties/tie.asp?tie=100001391