Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   McEnroe Meldown in Memphis...LOL !!!!! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=100386)

Netbudda 10-06-2006 04:00 AM

McEnroe Meldown in Memphis...LOL !!!!!

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/...id=oid%3A20305

LOL !!!!!!!! What a jerk !!!!! LOL !!!!!

Duzza 10-06-2006 04:04 AM

Haha what a tool, he's still funny though

Nuke 10-06-2006 04:23 AM

People come out to see McEnroe pitch a fit, and he obliges. That's show business.

Elina 10-06-2006 04:23 AM

It would have been interesting to see that live. :rolleyes: But I would have loved to be there more because of Wayne Ferreira. ;) I'm glad he won the match and I hope to see him play again in the future. :D

BiGGieStuFF 10-06-2006 04:28 AM

All part of his master plan :)

SC in MA 10-06-2006 04:33 AM

Based on McEnroe's TV tennis commentary and his book, I thought he had matured. However, he was a totally immature jerk at a similar Senior roundrobin championship held in April (I think) in the Boston area. His behavior was bad at most of his matches, but he took it to a new level of disgrace playing against an injured Pat Cash. He was extremely uptight right from the start of the match and was so totally intent on winning that he was like a 5 year old throwing a temper tantrum for virtually the entire match, blaming everyone but himself whenever he lost a point. He unfairly and continuously berated linesman for good calls that went against him. What an embarrassment to the sport. It became very painful to even watch him. This was not some premeditated act for the paying customers, most of whom were disgusted by his behaviour, especially the ones who brought their kids. The guy's temper is very seriously out-of-control.

I like McEnroe's tennis commentary and I really enjoy watching him play (when his behavior is in-check), however, I would ban him from playing unless he can clean-up his on-court behaviour.

sliceroni 10-06-2006 04:34 AM

lol Love him or hate him it's what the fans pay to see.

MaxT 10-06-2006 04:50 AM

He was trying to cheat his way out of a loss, as he has been doing all his career, along with Connors. I am glad it didn't work.

Sit down for a few mintues and then play on? I was once victim of that tactic. I was up 3 match points in a league match tie-breaker when this jerk was "injured" and rested 15 minutes, and then decided to come back to play. Getting to every ball and beat me.

Disgusting.

Ripper 10-06-2006 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elina
It would have been interesting to see that

Yeah, someone post the link to the video...

Ripper 10-06-2006 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC in MA
I would ban him from playing unless he can clean-up his on-court behaviour.

Should have been done back in the 80s...

coolblue123 10-06-2006 05:10 AM

watching johnny mac sometimes is like watching hardcore tennis.

ATXtennisaddict 10-06-2006 05:23 AM

That's what makes Johnny Mac, Johnny Mac. Quit whining about his antics.

Mark S. Hogan 10-06-2006 05:27 AM

I know other people that change personalities in competition. They need to win at all costs. We use to joke that my brother would kill our mother to win. I'm not sure it was a joke. He seems to have gotten better, but Mac hasn't.

Swissv2 10-06-2006 05:31 AM

whoa, Mac is better commentating then playing, lol

johnkidd 10-06-2006 05:46 AM

I think much of his antics now is an act to draw in crowds to the senior events. I rmember when he did an exhibiton vs. Vilas where I lived as a kid people were upset he didn't carry on. Puts butts in the seats and gets people talking.

theace21 10-06-2006 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnkidd
I think much of his antics now is an act to draw in crowds to the senior events. I rmember when he did an exhibiton vs. Vilas where I lived as a kid people were upset he didn't carry on. Puts butts in the seats and gets people talking.

Yep, ticket sales will be way up for his next match...The casual sports fan, comes to see him blow up. They could care less about the quality of the tennis. Real hockey fans go to see the game, speed - the casual sports fan goes to see a fight...Sell tickets! It is all a show.

SC in MA 10-06-2006 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnkidd

I'd heard that he put-on an act to please the crowd, but I think that must have been in exhibition matches before he dedicated himself to winning these Senior events. In the Boston event, I don't remember his first opponent, but the opponent was not playing to win and Johnny Mac was relatively mellow with a few outbursts that could be seen as an act. When he started playing opponents who he might possibly lose to, his demeanor became deadly serious and disruptive with a win-at-all-cost attitude. Definitely not an act. And definitely not an enjoyable sight. His match against Cash was the worst example, but he was pretty bad for most of his other matches as well. Against Cash, it was sort of like taking one of his Wimbledon meltdowns which only lasted for a minute or two and have it last for a whole match. Racket slamming, racket launching. Swearing at fans, linesman, the umpire. Endless questioning of calls. Cash played it very cool and definitely had the crowd on his side. I think if you'd seen it you'd understand what I'm talking about. McEnroe had lost control for an entire match and it was truly ugly.

GS 10-06-2006 06:50 AM

So he injures his eye but still insists he sees line calls perfectly? Yeah, right. I saw that early match in Boston against Ivanisevic---at one point, he yelled at the ump, "I'll bet you $10,000 that ball was out, and you only have to put up one dollar!!" He was intimidating umps and linesmen during the whole tournament. After he lost in the final against Todd Martin, he blamed the linesmen. What a sportsman....

SteveI 10-06-2006 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS
So he injures his eye but still insists he sees line calls perfectly? Yeah, right. I saw that early match in Boston against Ivanisevic---at one point, he yelled at the ump, "I'll bet you $10,000 that ball was out, and you only have to put up one dollar!!" He was intimidating umps and linesmen during the whole tournament. After he lost in the final against Todd Martin, he blamed the linesmen. What a sportsman....

GS,

You can't be serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Steve

GS 10-06-2006 06:55 AM

I AM serious, Stevie Ray! I'm glad I saw that match on TV for free, cos I wouldn't pay a dime to see him in person.