Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Nadal is wasting even more time now! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=102404)

Defcon 10-20-2006 12:30 PM

Nadal is wasting even more time now!

Its hard to believe, but Nadal is becoming more irritating day by day. I watched some of the match against Berdych today, and he's expanded his routine - now its pulling up both socks, the butt-pick, smooth the hair, look about, bounce the ball about 10 times, then sloooowly serve.

Its approaching Mary Pierce levels of absurdness. The commentators called him on his time wasting a number of times and he got a time violation for delaying while receiving serve.

MasterTS 10-20-2006 12:31 PM

The TV networks must like Nadal. The more he wins the more time he spends on the courts, the more coverage the station will get, the more comercials are played, the more money the networks get!

jackson vile 10-20-2006 12:34 PM

This is Nadal's only fault, it is not ok, it is fine to take time as many such as Max M. will sit there and drible the ball forever, ect but really it is not ok.

I blame tennis for not calling him on it end of story.

Defcon 10-20-2006 12:38 PM

Quote:

The TV networks must like Nadal. The more he wins the more time he spends on the courts, the more coverage the station will get, the more comercials are played, the more money the networks get!
Thats a great plan except for the 'more he wins' part which is not happening so much :)

Gilgamesh 10-20-2006 12:40 PM

Yes I like Nadal but it is getting very irritating to me as well.

It is getting absurd that rules are not being enforced.

The tennis guy 10-20-2006 12:45 PM

He always takes more time playing against big hitters. I think it is part of his strategy in slowing down the game.

Gilgamesh 10-20-2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The tennis guy
I think it is part of his strategy in slowing down the game.

There's no question to me that it's part of his strategy. It can wear mentally on his opponents.

Marius_Hancu 10-20-2006 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterTS

Don't be so sure about it.

Eurosport commentators criticized him today at their site for procrastination during the play-by-play.

And a station can't play commercials while he pulls his socks ...

norcal 10-20-2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marius_Hancu

Eurosport commentators criticized him today at their site for procrastination during the play-by-play.

On Nad's serve after each point they can run a 30 second commercial and be assured when they come back the point will still be 10 seconds away...

DTL 10-20-2006 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The tennis guy
He always takes more time playing against big hitters. I think it is part of his strategy in slowing down the game.

Out here, we call that kind of "strategy" gamesmanship.

whistleway 10-20-2006 01:03 PM

Stations don't like to broadcast tennis because the time slots are unpredictable. And since with nadal who takes so long to play a 2-setter, I am sure broadcasters hate the slow play. And to top it off, it is so annoying as hell for spectators. Tennis needs to be fast actioned not snail paced.

WhiteSox05CA 10-20-2006 01:04 PM

I'd just serve the ball if he was returning, and if I was on the tour, I'd probably have the accuracy to hit him too!
________
Vaporizer volcano

Shabazza 10-20-2006 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defcon
Its hard to believe, but Nadal is becoming more irritating day by day. I watched some of the match against Berdych today, and he's expanded his routine - now its pulling up both socks, the butt-pick, smooth the hair, look about, bounce the ball about 10 times, then sloooowly serve.

Its approaching Mary Pierce levels of absurdness. The commentators called him on his time wasting a number of times and he got a time violation for delaying while receiving serve.

That in particular annoyed me as I haven't seen him do this before!
He stands there looking ready to recieve, but then looks up holds his hands up and shakes his head as to say: "No, No Mr.! I'm still not ready to recieve wait another few seconds, now will you?!"
I mean WTH! :mad:
I would be really ****ed off, I'm surprised how well Berdych responded to Nadal and the hostile crowd throughout the match. Nice composure!
Really, I must say today Nadal behaved really bad - during AND after the nmatch!

hyperwarrior 10-20-2006 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marius_Hancu

Marius, nice job! You're now the greatest member of all times in TW!!!

sureshs 10-20-2006 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defcon
Thats a great plan except for the 'more he wins' part which is not happening so much :)

Yup, 3 times in a row now?

sureshs 10-20-2006 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabazza
Really, I must say today Nadal behaved really bad - during AND after the nmatch!

Didn't see the match. Please expand on the after match behavior.

jaykay 10-20-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs
Didn't see the match. Please expand on the after match behavior.

Suresh - Nadal had a hunted look about him throughout the match and was thoroughly outplayed by Berdych. Rafa started resorting to inordinate time-delaying tactics (more than usual), even when Berdych was serving, and received a warning from the chair ump in the process. He was celebrating Berdych's errors big-time. He got the crowd into the fray bigtime and the crowd started cheering Berdych's faults and booing his winners. I thought Berdych handled the rowdy partisan crowd very well and when he won, he put a finger to his lips gesticulating to the crowd to shush. As he came to the net to shake Nadal's hand, Rafa said something to him to which Berdych did a double take and looked startled. They exchanged a few words before retiring to their respective corners. It was a great match and well fought and the better player won. I daresay that Nadal came across as a sore loser; I believe his head-to-head against Berdych is 1-3; Berdych seems to have Rafa's #.

sureshs 10-20-2006 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay
Suresh - Nadal had a hunted look about him throughout the match and was thoroughly outplayed by Berdych. Rafa started resorting to inordinate time-delaying tactics (more than usual), even when Berdych was serving, and received a warning from the chair ump in the process. He was celebrating Berdych's errors big-time. He got the crowd into the fray bigtime and the crowd started cheering Berdych's faults and booing his winners. I thought Berdych handled the rowdy partisan crowd very well and when he won, he put a finger to his lips gesticulating to the crowd to shush. As he came to the net to shake Nadal's hand, Rafa said something to him to which Berdych did a double take and looked startled. They exchanged a few words before retiring to their respective corners. It was a great match and well fought and the better player won. I daresay that Nadal came across as a sore loser; I believe his head-to-head against Berdych is 1-3; Berdych seems to have Rafa's #.

Thanks. Would Rafa have spoken to him in English?

sureshs 10-20-2006 01:53 PM

From another thread:

he said something to Berdych when shaking hands and commented to some reporter that "Berdych is really stupid as a person"

WhirlingDervish 10-20-2006 02:07 PM

Watching the delayed coverage on on ATP Masters Series TV now ...

Nadal is consistently averaging between 22 to 25 seconds between points at the start of the second set:

5 seconds to towel off both arms
2 to 3 seconds to adjust socks
2 to 3 seconds to butt pick
5 seconds to stare at uncle tony and carlos costa with beffudled look
3 to 4 seconds to select the perfect ball from one of the new balls
over 5 seconds for the pronlonged service motion

Between the annoying OCD ticks and the celebration each time Berdych makes an error, he's becoming really annoying