Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Is the Prince Silencer a legal dampener? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=102449)

nikolaih 10-20-2006 06:52 PM

Is the Prince Silencer a legal dampener?

The Silencer, if you haven't seen it, has little loops at the end that you jam in-between the far main and crosses of your racquet. Since the loop is in-between the cross and main, the top part is a little above the first cross and so I'm wondering if it's legal for USTA play?

I sure hope it is because it was a $%@#$ to get on..

nikolaih 10-20-2006 07:31 PM

Bah, I found a post after searching that says the ITF banned the Prince Silencer. LAME. I really don't see how it's different than a string saver, oh well. I know my pro will give me heat about it though, lol, so I better take it out.

dancraig 10-20-2006 08:38 PM

When I put them in for a stringing customer, I put the main through the little hole and weave the dampner to the other side and thread the other far side main throught the hole. You can then slide them down the mains as far down as you like. Of course, this must be done while stringing the racquet.

emo5 10-21-2006 04:54 AM

its banned?? WHAT OMG!!! f***! I'll keeep using it until I get told to take it off :) I dont play itf anyways so I should be fine

Tim Tennis 10-21-2006 09:05 AM

It is not legal for play. I was very surprised when I found out.

nikolaih 10-21-2006 02:04 PM

It's s a shame, because it really has everything I would want from a dampener.

Tim Tennis 10-21-2006 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikolaih
It's s a shame, because it really has everything I would want from a dampener.

I agree, it is a great dampener.

emo5 10-24-2006 12:57 AM

The best thing about it was it never falls out. I can move but only on the parts weaved. I dont know about it snapping, unless of course if you stretch it too much..

AJK1 10-25-2006 09:58 PM

Just use a rubber band, does the same thing.

nikolaih 10-25-2006 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJK1
Just use a rubber band, does the same thing.

Doesn't dampen enough for my tastes and looks kinda crap

AJK1 10-25-2006 10:29 PM

If you read Technical Tennis you'll discover that all they do is stop string ping, they don't dampen. They also stop a strings natural vibration, which is why Federer dosen't use one. It's a myth that has been around for years. The best dampener is your hand, believe it or not. And IMO, those string dampeners you speak of look horrendous. What a gimmick.

nikolaih 10-25-2006 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJK1
If you read Technical Tennis you'll discover that all they do is stop string ping, they don't dampen. They also stop a strings natural vibration, which is why Federer dosen't use one. It's a myth that has been around for years. The best dampener is your hand, believe it or not. And IMO, those string dampeners you speak of look horrendous. What a gimmick.

Hey, I never said what sort of vibrations I wanted dampened. You're assuming that I want to achieve dampened frame vibrations, when all I want is to convert an annoying high frequency 'ping' from a tensely strung frame into a nice 'thump'. Rubberbands don't adequately dampen the ping for me, that puts them out of contention. The fact that they are fugly is the fatality.

I suspect Federer's power pads have an effect on his natural string vibration. And I seriously doubt natural string vibration has any effect on play, because it occurs after the hit. And besides, unless Federer can stand beside me while I play and make some sort of white noise to drown out the annoying ping, I can care less what he uses :).

And why does the Silencer look like a gimmick? It's just a bigger, black rubber band. And it costs a WHOLE 3 DOLLARS. I'm normally a utilitarian sort of dude, but c'mon, I'll splurge myself on the dampener. No offense, but my honest to god first response when I see rubberbands on a fancy racquet is "Tacky. Agassi wannabe." It's irrational for me to do so, but I'm an aesthete I guess.

fuzz nation 10-26-2006 10:41 AM

Having just bought a couple, let me deliver a reading from the book of Homer Simpson...

D'OH!!!

mikeespinmusic 02-15-2013 05:40 AM

When I first started playing I used a dampener. Then when I took it off I felt like I could keep the ball in the court way more. It sorta stayed off from then on.. don't know why this silencer damp is banned though, what could it possibly enhance to make illegal? if anything, its detrimental.

Im guessing they're worried people would put a load of them in the middle for more spin? ..

ricki 02-16-2013 06:40 AM

why is it illegal? who says so? when its installed, it doesnt affect main to cross string contact

hyperion99 04-20-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricki (Post 7217845)
why is it illegal? who says so? when its installed, it doesnt affect main to cross string contact

I found this review on a famous purchasing website.
I have no comments of this dampener because I have never used it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, illegal, but has workaround to make legal/

The good: It is cheap and works absolutely amazing. Never falls out, and is great at damping.

The bad: This dampener is actually illegal, according to ITF and USTA. The reason is that when the loop is worked into the cross/main intersection, a little bit goes above the bottom cross, which is not allowed. If you play in USTA leagues or tournaments, someone can ask you to remove it from your racquet, and you will have to comply.

The workaround: When stringing, just string the loops into the mains, and that way you the loops don't have to be inserted into the main/cross intersection. This makes it legal.

Lakers4Life 04-20-2013 05:06 PM

RacquetballWarehouse, TW's sister company sells the Ektelon Silencer. You have to call TW to add it to your order. That is before they pack and ship your order. I guess it's still legal to use for racquetball.

For those who have never seen one.

ricki 04-21-2013 07:17 AM

oh, so dampener cant get above lowest cross? Bad then. Btw if you want The Silencer to dampen well, dont strech it, for me it dampens well only when Im putting it in loosely without stretching it.

struggle 04-22-2013 08:40 AM

most people have the insert type (O, button, or whatever) so that it barely crosses above the bottom cross anyhow...

PBODY99 04-22-2013 09:15 AM

If you are going to "Cheat":) and use this without lacing it in during stringing, carry the metal string-a-ling insertion tool to get it out if you get caught.
If a mishit that low and outside bothers your opponent, they are being petty.