Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Sports Drinks (Pirahna, Stinger, Red Bull etc. ) Good? Bad? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=10611)

KingBugsy 08-12-2004 09:10 AM

Sports Drinks (Pirahna, Stinger, Red Bull etc. ) Good? Bad?

Are they effective? Healthy? Anyone use them regularly?

mrfurious 08-12-2004 09:38 AM

My experience with Red Bull while playing tennis has not been good. The stuff increases your heart rate to give you energy, and if you are being excessively active on top of that, it can really screw you up.

I personally experienced chest pains while drinking any energy drink and playing tennis.

I think the stuff is more geared toward truck drivers that need to stay away at the wheel. :wink:

K!ck5w3rvE 08-13-2004 04:34 PM

Red Bull sucks. Drink Gatorade or water.

BSousa 08-13-2004 04:58 PM

Red Bull isn't really a sports tailored drink, nor it is marketed like this (at least here).

I only use Isostar and in rather small doses when I know I will be sweating a lot and playing for a long time (2+ hours)

If less, I just tend to take 2-3 litres of water with me.

Bruno

hihihi8402 08-16-2004 09:24 AM

Red bull has too much sugar and that will dehydrate you, so I wouldn't recommend it. I would drink gatoraide for rehydration, plus it replenishes electrolytes that aren't available from plain water. Some people say you should drink gatoraide in 1/3 concentration, because that is the closest to physiological concentration. However, you don't absorb 100% or the electrolytes anyway and it taste way better undiluted, so I just drink it straight.

Some atheletes will take caffine prior to a excercise that requires lots of power. Or, people trying to lose weight may take it because it allows you to burn more fat(this is why it is a main ingredient in weight loss supplements like metabolife). Tennis probably fits into this power requiring kind of activity. However, caffine, one of the main ingredients of cocaine, is not healthy especially when taken often or in large doses. So, I wouldn't recommend this either.

--Mike

sanitarium 08-17-2004 07:34 AM

Caffeine is beneficial. Whoever said that "one of the main ingredients in cocaine" is a total ******, that's like saying carbohydrates are one of the biggest ingredients in alcohol! STAY AWAY!

Caffeine increases body metabolism along with heightened mental capacity. If you drink a cup of coffee you are alert, have more energy and is proven (documentary on CBC as pertaining to athletes on different types of drugs) to increase muscle performance.

An athlete who ran the 100m after taking caffeine noticed a 4.9%+ improvement versus atheletes on the placebo.

hihihi8402 08-17-2004 08:51 AM

I said caffine is one of the main ingredients in cocaine because it is very addictive. Just like how alcohol is one of the main ingredients in beer! Carbs are in bread too, but no alcohol there! So, please don't pick random examples that are not logically sound.

And, I said caffine is unhealthy, not that it won't boost your performance. Take it at your own risk. Steroids will boost your performance too, maybe you should consider taking those (only if your a fool). Perhaps a better idea would be to take some lessons or practice a little more or do some cardio to get in better shape...

Mike

sanitarium 08-17-2004 04:08 PM

Maybe caffeine isn't addictive, the effect you get from it is. Therefore using your own self control I'm pretty sure you can resist a cup of coffee. I said theres carbs in alcohol because that was offbase as the caffeine in the crack cocaine example, and if you think it's the caffeine in the crack that makes crack addictive please use google.

Some of the effects of caffeine aren't good for you, i.e increased heart rate. I agree with you. The discussion wasn't what drugs improve performance(like steroids), it was if the caffeine in those 'sports drinks' do, which in a simple answer: yes, they do.

I agree 100% with the cardio exercise / training with a coach to improve play over reliance on a drug to get you psyched up for a match.

8)