Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Prizes? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=106326)

R-Fed 11-19-2006 05:52 PM

Prizes?

What kind of prizes do you recieve for playing in a tournament or a league?

power_play21 11-19-2006 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Fed (Post 1075008)
What kind of prizes do you recieve for playing in a tournament or a league?

power, prestige, glory, fame, success, the world at your fingertips!

no jokes aside - some tournaments, prize money, tshirts (lol) and stuff (literally, stuff, ive gotten water bottles, socks, hats, etc)

leagues, im not sure, i know my friend got a tshirt last time he played, but thats all i know. maybe enjoyment?

goober 11-19-2006 06:12 PM

League- Tshirts (saying I am league champion), 2 liter thermos for drinks, water bottles, trophies, cans of tennis balls, tote bag, tennis towels. All kinds of junk basically.

Tournaments- trophies for winners. Everybody else gets tshirts and food/drinks at the "players party". They only give out prize money for the open levels.

R-Fed 11-19-2006 06:26 PM

Thank you guys for your replies. I have been thinking of joining either for some time just wondering if it's worth it or not.

Thanks again.

goober 11-19-2006 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Fed (Post 1075096)
Thank you guys for your replies. I have been thinking of joining either for some time just wondering if it's worth it or not.

Thanks again.

You definitely don't join leagues or tourneys for the prizes. The amount of money you spend on these things you can buy all the stuff they give you and then some.

If you have to sandbag to win a water bottle and a dinky trophy you have a serious problem :)

The only reason to join IMO is of course for the good tennis competition was lots of different opponents.

Topaz 11-19-2006 07:24 PM

Tournaments I've played have given away t-shirts, lip balm, key chains, and small stuff like that...the type of thing you get in your 'goodie' bag when you run a race. As far as prizes for winning the range has been nothing (because it is for charity) to trophies. One tournament I played also had a big raffle with some really nice, high quality prizes, such as Wilson tennis bags.

Jack the Hack 11-20-2006 01:15 PM

In 22 years of playing tennis tournaments and leagues, I have won about 50 plastic trophies, 5 or 6 keychains, a few ribbons, and numerous glass cups or bowls... and a few other trinkets like water bottles, towels, sports bags, or even a Nike watch. In addition, most tournaments give away t-shirts to all of the participants.

In USTA League play, I have only advanced to sectionals once... this year. We won a cheap bathroom accessories bag that says "2006 USTA Local League Champion", and we got a t-shirt at sectionals that says "2006 USTA Sectional Playoffs". Pretty cheap compared to the gigantic trophy and ornate keychains I've won with the city league team I played on several years ago...

Anyway, the total value of all the stuff I've won in tennis tournaments probably doesn't add up to more than $500 in all that time. On the other hand, I started playing golf a few years ago, and with less than 2 years of play, I won a total of about $1,000 (in cash, gift certificates, or quality merchandise) playing various tournaments... and that was with a 14 handicap!

(If you want nice prizes, it seems golf beats tennis handily... but tennis is a lot more fun in my opinion.)