Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Rolled my ankle again today.. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=10656)

iradical18 08-12-2004 09:13 PM

Rolled my ankle again today..

My ankles probably resemble wet pasta by now, im wondering if i should go to the doctor to see if i have torn the ligaments or are they just going to tell me the usual "stay off of it, and use ice".

netman 08-16-2004 08:20 AM

Since it sounds like you have a recurring problem, you can safely assume you have liagment and/or tendon damage. Yes, the doctor will tell you to stay off it and let it heal. Unfortunately there is no other way. The fact it keeps happening means you are not letting it heal properly.

As bad as this sounds, you need to stay off it until it can handle tennis without pain. The more you abuse it while it is healing, the worse it will be down the road, eventually becoming a chronic problem.

Rickson 08-16-2004 08:28 AM

Ice is the best thing you can do right now. The body heals itself by pooling blood to an inured area, but this kind of healing is not efficient in the beginning stages of an injury. You apply ice to decrease blood flow and it will promote faster healing.

netman 08-17-2004 04:01 PM

Ice has been proscribed for a number of years and is very effective for soft tissue injuries. Recent research is now showing that while ice is good for muscle injuries, it either doesn't help much or actually increases damage to ligaments and tendons. Theory is that since ligaments and tendons don't have rich blood supplies like muscle, blood pooling isn't the issue, its only the actual tissue tear. Cryotheraphy (ice) just increase stiffness and the resulting damage in connective tissue.

One poplar treatment that I have had success with is to ice it for 10 minutes, then heat it for 20 minutes, then repeat the cycle. For real fun, use a bucket of ice water to chill it. :) The theory is this will speed the flushing of irritants and dead blood and force fresh blood into the area. In the end though, the best therapy is to rest connective tissue, then once healthy, stretch it AFTER exercise to help it remain elastic.

jings 08-17-2004 04:49 PM

Go and see a physio as well. You build up scar tissue when you seriously hurt ligaments etc which breaks down over time, but is not as strong as the actual ligament. Whilst you may feel your ankle is back to normal you may well have scar tissue left that is the weak point and leaves you at risk of hurting yourself again. A physio will break down the scar tissue and let the healing really begin. Also get on a wobble board and strengthen your ankles, it will help. I went through a period when I was turning my ankle a lot and it was only when the physio explained it to me as above that I understood what was happening.

adjust- 08-19-2004 07:13 AM

Go to your doctor. At first when I twisted my ankle, I thought it was just a recurring problem with the ligaments until they took X-rays. It turned out to be a broken ankle bone and wore a cast for 5 weeks.