Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Olympic athletes have too much time on their hands.... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=10837)

BSousa 08-16-2004 09:11 AM

Olympic athletes have too much time on their hands....

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/...to626628.shtml

mlee2 08-16-2004 10:43 AM

Another reason to be a Roddick hater..:-(

@wright 08-16-2004 10:50 AM

As if you need reasons!

PistolPete 08-16-2004 11:55 AM

that's not a reason to hate him, wouldn't you want the Australian womens water polo team chasing after you?

Aonex 08-16-2004 12:09 PM

Sounds like a great story to me. Nice to see the athletes from other countries getting along... granted it isn't Israel and Iran or something.

AndyC 08-16-2004 01:05 PM

actually I liked this one. I think Roddick isn't a bad guy.. it's just hia tennis game I'd rather not watch.. the problem is he's rather effective at it n so.. 1) they tend to show him cos he's number two in the world.. n 2) he actually tends to make it deep into tournaments and hence there is no choice but to watch him sometimes.

at the end of the day he's not that bad to watch as long as he's playing someone who brings a little variety to the game.. like agassi or federer.

BSousa 08-16-2004 01:34 PM

Do note that I am a fan of Andy, just find that the athletes there should be more concerned with their sports than 'chasing men' even if it is a harmful joke. It, imo degrades the country they are representing.

AndyC 08-16-2004 01:40 PM

how is it degrading? the gals are competing hard.. n in their free time I expect them to want to play just as hard.. how do u read this as meaning they will try less hard in the pool???

pound cat 08-16-2004 01:45 PM

He is one funny guy...c'mon cut the guy some slack. Hate him on the court, but admit it, he is very very fast on the uptake and funny in a good-natured way. For those who think Olympics is all about being serious, they have given out 130,000 condoms to Olympic athletes. Yes, that's not a typo. What do you think about that? LOL

alienhamster 08-16-2004 04:55 PM

Also, to add to the non-Roddick hate . . .

I think it's great that he and the other guys are actually living in the Olympic village, hanging out and meeting all the other athletes. This is of course unlike the pro basketball players, who won't lower themselves from their hotel luxuries to actually stay in the village dorms.

It's good to see Roddick really soaking up the whole experience.

Phil 08-16-2004 05:47 PM

Quote:

Do note that I am a fan of Andy, just find that the athletes there should be more concerned with their sports than 'chasing men' even if it is a harmful joke. It, imo degrades the country they are representing.
You sound like a stiff who begruges someone else, who is successful, having fun. I thought you were kidding when you posted the link, but no...you need to unbutton your VERY tight collar and loosen up, or else maybe you have a stick up...oh, never mind.

BSousa 08-16-2004 06:15 PM

I actually I don't mind that, heck I'm not australian so who cares, found it funny.

BUT I do care with at least the portuguese athletes, no idea how it is for your countries, but here, my taxes are paying for their stay there, so screw it if I don't want to see them having fun with little jokes that may impair their performance at my cost. And if you think the atheletes don't do this, try checking the history of Portuguese soccer team in the last big events and you see why I get pi**ed seeing they do crap like this.

Roddick is doing his part and this imo boost a bit his morale (not much) but if the swimmers are actually taking this a bit more seriously (I'm sure there will be one or two that will) it will also affect them, and please don't say it doesn't, because it does.

Bruno

Dreadeye 08-17-2004 05:06 AM

"Haters"

Can anyone explain why so many people are proud of being insert name here haters?

Seems pretty infantile and silly.

But maybe I'm missing something.

Educate me, please.

AndyC 08-17-2004 08:30 AM

Ah Bsousa :).. u can't compare the Portugese footballers to Australian female swimmers. All that latin testosterone.. no wonder they always underachieve :)!

BSousa 08-17-2004 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyC
Ah Bsousa :).. u can't compare the Portugese footballers to Australian female swimmers. All that latin testosterone.. no wonder they always underachieve :)!

And they are prettier too :)

But if you do a detailed search, you will see news of the PT team hiring some prostitutes for the whole team, or the team choach missing practise to go shopping for his wife and all that stories.

Its funny because its sad :)

AndyC 08-17-2004 09:43 AM

it is sad because this generation of footballers had so much promise.. between Figo and Rui Costa they had two of the finest footballers in Europe.. n they did nothing.. even with a supporting cast of players that really were good enough to win one of the big ones. The recent Euro final really was the last straw.. I don't think the Junior World Cup winners will get another chance.. still there are some very exciting youngsters coming though and they may well go on to win something.