Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Mac explodes again....yawn (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=108372)

NoBadMojo 12-06-2006 06:23 PM

Mac explodes again....yawn
 
Mac exploded again..this time at Blackrock..not news unto itself, but I guess this one was even more over the top than usual.....http://www.mltourofchampions.com/1/news/

What I am hoping is that Rios meets him in the finals (dont know the draw) and gives him a bagel and a breadstick, and see how he swallows that sort of pill.

JW10S 12-06-2006 06:29 PM

McEnroe has become a cliche. His 'tantrums' are expected and he plays them to the hilt. It's all part of the show...

SC in MA 12-06-2006 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW10S (Post 1104801)
McEnroe has become a cliche. His 'tantrums' are expected and he plays them to the hilt. It's all part of the show...

Unfortunately, his tantrums are no longer a show and are certainly not staged. Mac's intensity has seriously gone over the edge. His competitive fire is hotter than ever and he just can not accept losing. He looks to others to blame if things aren't going his way. His on-court behaviour is a disgrace to tennis. I really wish he would/could bring his commentator's demeanor to his on-court game.

Mick 12-06-2006 06:41 PM

I wonder if he would behave like that at home with his wife and kids or he would only display bad behavior when he's on a tennis court.

sureshs 12-06-2006 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1104821)
I wonder if he would behave like that at home with his wife and kids or he would only display bad behavior when he's on a tennis court.

He is in his second marriage. And in any case, if his wife or kids call 911, he will be whisked off to jail on an abuse charge.

The organizers of the senior tours should take a stand on this, but they seem to be cowards and just after the money.

ipodtennispro 12-06-2006 07:04 PM

Mac take down
 
I wish Lendl would come back:

http://iws.punahou.edu/user/lcouillard/Headhunting.mov

JW10S 12-06-2006 07:09 PM

I saw an interview where McEnroe said something to the effect of 'they used to fine when I blew up, now they fine when I don't'. It's all an act. He has nothing left to prove on the tennis court. He's giving the fans just what they came to see.

Mick 12-06-2006 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodtennispro (Post 1104849)

haha. Nice video . Thx :)

SC in MA 12-06-2006 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW10S (Post 1104857)
I saw an interview where McEnroe said something to the effect of 'they used to fine when I blew up, now they fine when I don't'. It's all an act. He has nothing left to prove on the tennis court. He's giving the fans just what they came to see.

That sounds like Mac a few years ago, before he decided to train and get serious again. Trust me. He's most definitely a different animal now and he now plays as if he's got everything in the world to prove. And unfortunately, the promoters have no power to control him and he certainly can't control himself. Have you seen him play recently? It's not a pretty sight. I say this as one who greatly appreciates Mac's artistry.

Mick 12-06-2006 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC in MA (Post 1104898)
Have you seen him play recently? It's not a pretty sight. I say this as one who greatly appreciates Mac's artistry.

there's a video of him playing against Borg in Dubai at youtube. He looked alright to me. I love his short, compact strokes. They are fantastic.

JW10S 12-06-2006 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC in MA (Post 1104898)
That sounds like Mac a few years ago, before he decided to train and get serious again. Trust me. He's most definitely a different animal now and he now plays as if he's got everything in the world to prove. And unfortunately, the promoters have no power to control him and he certainly can't control himself. Have you seen him play recently? It's not a pretty sight. I say this as one who greatly appreciates Mac's artistry.

The interview was from this year...

bluegrasser 12-07-2006 02:26 AM

ahh ! he's Irish, give him a break ..

Nastase 12-07-2006 03:27 AM

I for one think its a bit pathetic really his behaviour at 47 yrs old...this is the seniors circuit, lighten up for crissakes. Even Muster talks to the crowd now and has some fun with it...as most all the others do. He's just a jackass.

cghipp 12-07-2006 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW10S (Post 1104857)
I saw an interview where McEnroe said something to the effect of 'they used to fine when I blew up, now they fine when I don't'. It's all an act. He has nothing left to prove on the tennis court. He's giving the fans just what they came to see.

That's just what he tells himself to try to excuse and justify his behavior. People may like to see him arguing a little with the chair ump, but nobody wants to see him hurling racquets against the wall as hard as he can. I saw him do this in Charlotte, and it was scary, uncomfortable and appalling. I was truly afraid he was going to hurt someone; he was completely out of control. My immediate thought was, thank god I didn't bring my child with me, because I would have to explain to her why I thought it was okay to pay money to come here and watch this surly, freakish behavior. The spectators and the other players were embarrassed for him.

He is a train wreck and he needs serious psychiatric help. He brought the tournament down with his behavior and I am less likely to go again because of it.

pound cat 12-07-2006 03:56 AM

Oh grow up John. It's not funny anymore.

Iron Man Sublime 1 12-07-2006 04:14 AM

Yup, he is getting annoying. After reading his book I thought he would really change and stop to think. Oh well, all is fairplay in love and war.


He should get a haircut

Iron Man Sublime 1 12-07-2006 04:16 AM

HE IS VON BOIGNAN. Shall I say?

http://www.bellyqueen.com/images/john_mcenroe.jpg

Rabbit 12-07-2006 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW10S (Post 1104801)
McEnroe has become a cliche. His 'tantrums' are expected and he plays them to the hilt. It's all part of the show...

Sorry, but what I saw in Memphis was not "part of the show". Fans were actually leaving his match because of his behavior. One man acutally yelled at McEnroe to shut up because his kids were with him. The main object of his ire was a buddy of mine who was calling lines. Dale didn't count the F-bombs because there were too many. If it were an act, McEnroe wouldn't have had the chair replaced....which he did. If it were an act, he wouldn't have had two linespersons replaced during a match...which he did. I really love his tennis, but his behavior has completely overshadowed it. Bottom line is he needs to shut up and play tennis or go home.

SC in MA 12-07-2006 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cghipp (Post 1105265)
That's just what he tells himself to try to excuse and justify his behavior. People may like to see him arguing a little with the chair ump, but nobody wants to see him hurling racquets against the wall as hard as he can. I saw him do this in Charlotte, and it was scary, uncomfortable and appalling. I was truly afrain he was going to hurt someone; he was completely out of control. My immediate thought was, thank god I didn't bring my child with me, because I would have to explain to her why I thought it was okay to pay money to come here and watch this surly, freakish behavior. The spectators and the other players were embarrassed for him.

He is a train wreck and he needs serious psychiatric help. He brought the tournament down with his behavior and I am less likely to go again because of it.

Your description of his behaviour in Charlotte is what I saw in Boston earlier this year. He needs help. I guess the promoters are making money off of him, but at what cost to the sport of tennis.

ATXtennisaddict 12-07-2006 06:14 AM

I'm sure it's part of the show. When you pay money to watch McEnroe, you want to see him play AND you want to see one of his famous blow-ups. I know I would.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse