Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What would be an average ranking for playing Divison 1 college tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=108380)

tennis life 12-06-2006 07:31 PM

What would be an average ranking for playing Divison 1 college tennis

My goal has been to play division 1 tennis since i picked up a racquet. Something that worries me is that by the time i go to college, i wont be able to play D-1. What would be the average ranking in a section (Mid-atlantic,*******,etc) for a player on any Division 1 college team?
ps-i wasnt sure whether to post this in juniors or adults

migjam 12-06-2006 07:48 PM

Take a look at this site http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/ It should give you an idea of where some of the juniors are that are heading to D1 colleges.

cak 12-06-2006 07:57 PM

You also might get more info on the Junior thread. I think there are prospective D1 players there. (Here is mostly old farts looking for our faded glory.)

moonshine 12-07-2006 05:42 PM

In general, an average D-1 player will be a 5.5 or better. There are some exceptions, but that is a good way to look at it. Some of the teams have 6.0-6.5 players (Georgia, Stanford, Texas, etc), but an average team will recruit players at a 5.5 level.

moonshine 12-07-2006 05:45 PM

I'm sorry, I thought you were asking about RATING, not RANKING. In the Mid-Atlantic section, I know that pretty much all of the top 25 players are going D-1, but that is a really impressive feat for a "weaker" section. Top 15 of an average section will go D-1. Other high level players will go D-2 or D-3. The important thing to realize is that there is money for tennis players out there, but you have to be willing to go away (sometimes very far away) to find it.

migjam 12-08-2006 02:20 PM

For D1, you really need to have a National ranking, at least for a good D1 school.

300Gkid 12-08-2006 05:25 PM

I've heard top 20 in your section. But could be extended for better sections (AKA Florida Socal, Norcal ect)

10ispro 12-09-2006 07:04 PM

Division 1 encompasses alot of schools. from big schools to some very small schools. Using Midatlantic as an example Loyola College, Morgan State, Coppin University are all Div1 and majority of their players are barely at a 4.5 NTRP rating.
If you are looking at bigger Division 1 schools like Illinois, Stanford, UCLA, USC, FLA, UVA, Vatech, Vanderbilt, Clemson then you need to he that being in the top 10 in your section is good enough b.c you are also competing against others in the Nation as well as international players.

tennis life 12-10-2006 07:33 PM

so say i wanted to play at a Loyala College or Morgan State level,
what would my ranking in the mid atlantic have to be when im 18 to go to that level

10ispro 12-11-2006 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis life (Post 1110648)
so say i wanted to play at a Loyala College or Morgan State level,
what would my ranking in the mid atlantic have to be when im 18 to go to that level

this is a question you can answer very easily for yoruself.
Email or call the Coach of each school.

Coach for Loyola College I think is still Rick Mcclure and Morgan State is Derrick Mcmillian. Just email or call and express interest in their school and you need to kno what you need to focus on and where your ranking needs to be to be recruited or possibly get financial help

Otherwise, youre to continue to get a bunch of people responding to this thread who dont have a realistic knowledge of college tennis outside the top 10 Top D1 schools and you probally wont ever get your answer

SATennis 12-11-2006 08:38 AM

[quote=10ispro;1111140]this is a question you can answer very easily for yoruself.

As a former D1 college player and coach, I would agree with this statement the most. There are so many D1 schools outt there at very different levels. Some have less than successful programs with very average players, where scholarships would be easier to find, others are so competitve, top players in the country would struggle to get full rides. The best thing to do is get an up-to-date resume together with all your tennis achievements. Then email as many coaches as you can, sending them your information. Be realistic when it comes to the schools you pick. If you are not a top junior but you are looking for scholarships, don't worry about the top 20 schools. Most top 75 schools will have tough players with the 4.5 scholarships spread amongst them, so it will obviously be easier to get better scholarships at programs that are not currently ranked in the top 75. It is really a question of how much scholarship money you are after.

Coaches will pay a lot of attention to junior ranking and your success in tournaments, but many coaches are also looking for potential. Even if your ranking is not as good as it could be, as long as you have the potential to improve dramatically under the right guidance and in the right environment (with a lot of hard work), many coaches will be interested.

tennis life 12-11-2006 09:52 AM

[quote=SATennis;1111244]
Quote:

Originally Posted by 10ispro (Post 1111140)
this is a question you can answer very easily for yoruself.

As a former D1 college player and coach, I would agree with this statement the most. There are so many D1 schools outt there at very different levels. Some have less than successful programs with very average players, where scholarships would be easier to find, others are so competitve, top players in the country would struggle to get full rides. The best thing to do is get an up-to-date resume together with all your tennis achievements. Then email as many coaches as you can, sending them your information. Be realistic when it comes to the schools you pick. If you are not a top junior but you are looking for scholarships, don't worry about the top 20 schools. Most top 75 schools will have tough players with the 4.5 scholarships spread amongst them, so it will obviously be easier to get better scholarships at programs that are not currently ranked in the top 75. It is really a question of how much scholarship money you are after.

Coaches will pay a lot of attention to junior ranking and your success in tournaments, but many coaches are also looking for potential. Even if your ranking is not as good as it could be, as long as you have the potential to improve dramatically under the right guidance and in the right environment (with a lot of hard work), many coaches will be interested.

just out of curiosity, where did you coach?

SATennis 12-12-2006 09:28 PM

I was the assistant coach at UMKC in Kansas City while doing my MBA. It is definitely one of the weakest D1 schools I have ever seen, and we still got to the semis of conference. It really showed me how many different levels of tennis there are in D1.

BigJEFF 12-12-2006 11:00 PM

do you know

Quote:

Originally Posted by SATennis (Post 1114555)
I was the assistant coach at UMKC in Kansas City while doing my MBA. It is definitely one of the weakest D1 schools I have ever seen, and we still got to the semis of conference. It really showed me how many different levels of tennis there are in D1.

Do you know T rock he used to coach UMKC ... They have had a a few coaches over the last few yrs.... I didntthink thier were many 6.0 players in Kansas city I know Casey from Notre Dame is a 5.5 I think he might be the best in KC the guy is solid....

SATennis 12-14-2006 06:37 AM

No, Don't know T rock. I am fairly new to Kansas City, been here for about 1.5 years. I definitely wouldn't say I am the best player in KC either. I would hope there are plenty of other younger and stronger players than me. Maybe a few years ago. I have heard of Casey from a couple pros out here, if he is really a 5.5, I'll bump myself down to 5.5.

cmb 12-26-2006 05:16 PM

well casey was defenitly not a 5.5,

tennisboy87 12-26-2006 07:52 PM

Hey SATennis,

Are you still an assistant at UMKC? I play at Saint Louis University, and we played UMKC last year and are traveling to Kansas City this year to play them. I was just curious if you are still there or were there last year?

tamdoankc 01-01-2007 07:39 AM

I walked onto the UMKC team in '95-'96. That's when they still offered tennis scholarships and actively recruited. The team had a lot of foreigners but no one local to KC, a couple of Americans. Solid players from 1-6. Anyone could've played any position. I would've been 7 but saw it was impossible to balance school and sports and work so had to drop tennis. All the scholarship players were at least 5.5 if not 6.0s. One of the guys was a top ranked Austrian junior and another was from Japan.

KC actually has a lot of elite juniors that end up playing for a top end D1 school. A couple of private highschools (Rockhurst, Pembroke, etc.) are packed full of awsome players. Not sure about now though. If it's Casey Smith you guys are talking about, I think he went to Rockhurst.

Sagittar 01-01-2007 07:42 AM

for a d-1 player , should have a minimium of 5 , 5.5 maybe 6 ..
wouldn't really know just guessing ..

Pusher 01-04-2007 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis life (Post 1104885)
My goal has been to play division 1 tennis since i picked up a racquet. Something that worries me is that by the time i go to college, i wont be able to play D-1. What would be the average ranking in a section (Mid-atlantic,*******,etc) for a player on any Division 1 college team?
ps-i wasnt sure whether to post this in juniors or adults

I would guess maybe the top 10 guys will get a ride. About double that if you are a female (Title 9 kicks ***).

Sometimes the in-state D-1 programs will sign a local kid to shine on the alumni but if you're a 17 or 18 year old high school grad you are competing with euro pros for scholarship money.

A lot of ranked American juniors are walking on at D-1 programs hoping to get a chance to play. Its hard to keep the spirits up when you're paying full tuition and the 22 year old guy with the student visa from Croatia is living high.

Don't give up.