Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Just drew my old high school coach in state tournament (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=108543)

DRtenniS1112 12-08-2006 08:07 AM

Just drew my old high school coach in state tournament

Our state hosts a tournament at the end of the year called the grand prix and it takes all the people who have qualified (by gathering enough points) and ranks them based on their points. I was seeded 6th overall and drew my old high school coach in the first round. I shouldn't have a problem with him unless the mental thing gets me. I think it's gonna be a little weird but I'm not too worried. Just thought it was kind of funny thats all.

Geezer Guy 12-08-2006 10:30 AM

Could be there's more pressure on him than there is on you. After all, he's the one that has to prove that he's still got it. He's the aging pro getting pushed out by the younger generation.

You've got nothing to lose. Just go for your shots.

power_play21 12-08-2006 10:33 AM

reminds me of a tournament i played this november where i drew a guy who had been top 200 in the world before, and although now he is 30's and hasnt been on tour for a while, it still felt weird knowing i was gonna play someone who was once ranked so high.

Supernatural_Serve 12-08-2006 10:37 AM

Here's the good and bad news: you both know each other's game well. So, use what you know about his strenghts and weaknesses well. Being a coach, he's probably good at doing the same.

DRtenniS1112 12-08-2006 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supernatural_Serve (Post 1107321)
Here's the good and bad news: you both know each other's game well. So, use what you know about his strenghts and weaknesses well. Being a coach, he's probably good at doing the same.

Actually luckily its just the good now. When he had me I was a counterpuncher/opportunist who seldom found way to the net. Now I serve and volley, chip and charge, and mix up everything. Someone else said I have nothing to lose but I am the seed and the young gun. Oh well I think it'll be fun I'm not really going to get nervous or overconfident on this one.

Supernatural_Serve 12-08-2006 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRtenniS1112 (Post 1107330)
Actually luckily its just the good now. When he had me I was a counterpuncher/opportunist who seldom found way to the net. Now I serve and volley, chip and charge, and mix up everything. Someone else said I have nothing to lose but I am the seed and the young gun. Oh well I think it'll be fun I'm not really going to get nervous or overconfident on this one.

Good, you are going to surprise him. This one could be as much about the mental aspects of the game as the shots. Personally, I couldn't help but feel like an underdog, but if you win, you'll feel tremendous pride and confidence. Be concious of the momentum swings in the match, and any adjustments he makes.

This is exactly the type of mental match you want to come out on top. A real feather in your cap.

Good luck.

slice bh compliment 12-08-2006 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by power_play21 (Post 1107317)
reminds me of a tournament i played this november where i drew a guy who had been top 200 in the world before, and although now he is 30's and hasnt been on tour for a while, it still felt weird knowing i was gonna play someone who was once ranked so high.

I got creamed by a guy like that in the final of a tournament about twelve years ago. I had lost before the first point began. I got broken early and lost 2 and 2 in about an hour. Beat him in three the next time we played as his wife and baby watched.

Then I sort of became that guy (complete with the cute wife and screaming baby).

VGP 12-08-2006 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slice bh compliment (Post 1107405)
I got creamed by a guy like that in the final of a tournament about twelve years ago. I had lost before the first point began. I got broken early and lost 2 and 2 in about an hour. Beat him in three the next time we played as his wife and baby watched.

Then I sort of became that guy (complete with the cute wife and screaming baby).

Marriage and kids (plus job and stuff) tends to kill your tennis game.

If my case, it's a welcome trade.

slice bh compliment 12-08-2006 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VGP (Post 1107470)
Marriage and kids (plus job and stuff) tends to kill your tennis game.

If my case, it's a welcome trade.

Yeah, no contest, VGP. Wouldn't trade my fading skills and great family for anything!

Geezer Guy 12-08-2006 01:35 PM

Along those lines, the up-side of learning tennis when you're young is that your game can peak as your body peaks. You can really reach your full potential. The down-side is that you spend a looooong time thinking about how good you USED to be, as your body declines.

On the other hand, those that take up tennis as an adult (after kids are mostly grown or maybe even out of the house) can improve for a long time. At nearly 52 I'm now a better tennis player than I was at 30. Even though I'm not as fast or strong as I was a few decades ago, I can still see my game improving. I'm hoping it will continue to improve for a few more years before everything starts catching up with me. With any luck, by the time my game starts going downhill, I'll be about ready to kick the bucket anyway.

goober 12-09-2006 11:24 AM

At the grand Prix next month, I drew my practice partner first round :p

jamumafa 12-09-2006 02:09 PM

Just dont think that it's like knocking Agassi out of the 06 USO or something. Just think it's any other person, kind words are saved for the bar after the match