Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Started a 3.0 in April..... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=109696)

TriCitiesTennis 12-18-2006 06:33 PM

Started a 3.0 in April.....

I started playing USTA league tennis in April as a 3.0 player. I had played tennis at the age of 10-13 as something to do to pass time in between baseball. I am now 27 and had a 14 year layoff from tennis. I never played highschool tennis, nor did I ever win any of the tournaments in my age group.

My local league coordinator told me to play as a 3.0. This year in local league play, I won every match except 2. I played in mixed doubles (6-1) and in combo doubles (4-1). Both losses came at the state level of competition. I did play in several 3.0 tournaments, never winning any, but making it to the finals twice. I ended with a 14-10 tournament record. After the rankings came out this year, I noticed that my 10 losses all came against players who were bumped up. 10 of the 14 wins in tourny play came against people who did not get bumped up.

Now, we are in December and I have been playing every day.....sometimes as much as 5-8 hours a day. The last two local tournaments have not had a 3.0draw, so I have played in the 4.0 draw. Both times reaching the finals and once winning.

The last two times I have played 3.0 players I have won 6-1, 6-0 in both matches. USTA has kept my ranking at a 3.0(T). I am pretty upset with this as I obviously wanted to move up.

Are my options to stay at the 3.0 level and dominate while also playing 3.5 level tennis? Or should I play 4.0 level tennis and take my lumps even though I can beat some of the local 4.0's?

Ace 12-18-2006 06:40 PM

If I were you, I would skip playing 3.0 and just play 3.5.

Our section would not allow a 3.0 to play at the 4.0 league level (you can only play 1/2 up), but if you are allowed, go for it as long as you think you can compete. Were the people you beat in the 4.0 draw actually rated 4.0, or were they just like you, lower rated, but in the 4.0 draw?

If you can compete with USTA computer rated 4.0's, play both 3.5 and 4.0.

TriCitiesTennis 12-18-2006 07:58 PM

They were USTA (C) rated 4.0 players. Not Benchmark.

goober 12-18-2006 08:24 PM

If you can beat some Computer rated 4.0 players, definitely play 4.0. At least that is what I would do. You're young and you are rapidly improving. Take your lumps and face the competition that is going to push you. Man I wish I could play 5-8 hours day. I get 5-8 hours a week these days.

raiden031 12-24-2006 06:36 AM

TriCities,

Sounds like if you can win a 4.0 tournament you have no business playing 3.0.

I'm kinda in a weird situation myself. I started playing tennis again in August after 2 years off. I was playing 3.0 and 3.5 players in singles ladders and was getting my butt whipped by 3.5 and winning most 3.0 matches but losing a few really bad. I've been playing and practicing alot since and am now playing well against 3.5 level players in singles. Although I joined a 6.0 winter mix as a self-rated 3.0 that starts in january. This weekend I played at this tennis social where you play doubles and they rotate people so you end up playing with a variety of people. I was playing with alot of 3.5 players (one was 4.0) and was playing very well, even dominating people with my serve. The last group I played with, I talked to one of the opponents for a few minutes and he was shocked to hear that I was registered to play at the 3.0 level (6.0 mix). He said he is a 3.5 and actually considered me a 4.0 by his standards. He said I was cheating and I explained that I actually wanted to play 3.5, but couldn't find a team that was interested in me because at the time I was looking for teams, I advertised that I was a strong 3.0 - weak 3.5. I've improved since then to where I feel guilty playing at the 3.0 level because my serve and forehand are way above 3.0 and might **** some of my opponents off. Since I've never played USTA, I don't have a computer rating so I can only go by what my opponents tell me about their own ratings. The good news is that I cannot be disqualified from the mix league, but in the Spring I might join a 3.5 league even though my rating will still be 3.0. It becomes apparent to me more and more as I play different people that I am probably sandbagging, but I guess I can't be too sure until I start playing official matches.

Roforot 12-24-2006 07:50 PM

If you would consider a move, I hear Norcal's looking for new 3.0s. Your lack of college experience though may keep you from making the team :)

skraggle 12-24-2006 08:44 PM

Without question, move up to the next level. I've played a 4.5 over the last year who was kind enough to play me when I could barely hit the ball. We're talking 1-6, 2-6, 1-6 at best. (Came back to tennis 18 months ago after 24 year layoff).

Got my butt kicked plenty, but now play at the same level with him, and have even managed to edge him the last few times. It sounds like you have a lot of natural talent, so you'll probably catch the tougher players fairly quick. It's hard on the ego at first, but it will pay off big time down the road...

heycal 12-24-2006 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raiden031 (Post 1131538)
Since I've never played USTA, I don't have a computer rating so I can only go by what my opponents tell me about their own ratings. The good news is that I cannot be disqualified from the mix league, but in the Spring I might join a 3.5 league even though my rating will still be 3.0.

How/where did you get the 3.0 rating in the first place, and why can't you just switch it to 3.5 if you're not in a USTA league with computer ratings or however they do it?

raiden031 01-03-2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heycal (Post 1132403)
How/where did you get the 3.0 rating in the first place, and why can't you just switch it to 3.5 if you're not in a USTA league with computer ratings or however they do it?

I self-rated at 3.0 so that I could play in a 6.0 mix. The reason I joined the 6.0 mix is because nobody at the 7.0 mix expressed interest in me because I did not advertise myself as being a strong 3.5. At the time I wasn't as good as I am now so I didn't want to say I'm good and look like a fool when I try out for a team. So its too late now since the league starts this week.