Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   A current player says Pete still has it... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=110133)

Fee 12-22-2006 08:57 PM

A current player says Pete still has it...

Had to mention a current player so that it stays in this forum ;)

Justin wrote about working out with Pete in his SI.com column...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...rer/index.html

and an excerpt...

But this column isn't about me -- it's about one of, if not the greatest, tennis players of all time. Everyone, me included, has been quick to anoint Roger Federer the new alpha male of tennis history. But after spending some time practicing with retired Pete Sampras, I think we've shortchanged Pistol Pete.

Sampras has participated in a few of the aforementioned charity/exhibition events this month, so obviously he has been practicing plenty. Since we live in such close proximity to each other in Los Angeles, working out together was a convenient fit. Our practices vary in intensity -- the main factors being how my back is feeling on that particular day and how motivated Pete is -- but the tennis Sampras is still capable of playing at 35 is astonishing.

I was laughed at and ridiculed in ATP Tour locker rooms a few years back when I defended John McEnroe when he was boasting about his ability to still compete at the highest levels of tennis in ideal conditions. (We were both proven right by the way, with his doubles win in San Jose earlier this year.) I will probably be mocked again when I make this statement:

Pete Sampras is currently playing at a level as high as anyone in the world except for Federer.

You'll have to read the rest to see how he backs that up. :)

ShooterMcMarco 12-22-2006 09:04 PM

That would be cool if they would do a 3 setter. Pete Sampras, 2007 Wimbledon champion, hehe.

Sagittar 12-22-2006 09:11 PM

sure he still got it , and sure is a great player if not the very best , and to cut things short federer ( i like him a looooot ) hasn't done what pete has done so i think we'll just wait and see ..

Sagittar 12-22-2006 09:14 PM

Fee , do you really practise with sampras?!!
i am nor questioning your credibility but somehow (being living in a place way far from any pro player) i can't see myself playing with someone like him ?:)

Fee 12-22-2006 09:19 PM

Sagittar, you need to read my post again. You know what the word 'excerpt' means, right?

Sagittar 12-22-2006 09:25 PM

yeah i know , sorry :oops:

8PAQ 12-22-2006 09:58 PM

So what's the big deal? Agassi got the 2005 US Open final at the same age that Sampras is now. He even took Federer to 4 sets in that final. Not to mention he won 3 consecutive 5 setters before that final.

Fee 12-22-2006 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagittar (Post 1130069)
yeah i know , sorry :oops:

It's okay. Sometimes when you read things really fast you miss a key point here or there.

I asked Justin to try to sneak a Wimbledon trophy out of the house next time he's there, perhaps Pete won't notice since he has so many ;) {I didn't really ask him}.

Duzza 12-22-2006 10:01 PM

Wow what a coincidence. Fee starts a thread about an article by J Gimelstob :p.
BTW Fee, I personally saw Baggy destroy him at the AO!

Fee 12-22-2006 10:04 PM

Hooray for you. Justin takes full credit for getting Marcos on the road to international fame. He accepts his place in tennis history.

(was that comment supposed to hurt me somehow?)

Mick 12-22-2006 10:09 PM

sampras looks good with that goatie :)

travlerajm 12-22-2006 10:27 PM

I'd love to see Sampras ask for a wildcard at Wimbledon. It would cause quite a stir!

Duzza 12-22-2006 10:48 PM

PS> I thought you said a Current player?

BigServer1 12-22-2006 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travlerajm (Post 1130129)
I'd love to see Sampras ask for a wildcard at Wimbledon. It would cause quite a stir!

That would be quite the scene, indeed.

BaseLineBash 12-22-2006 10:58 PM

Wimby '07 or a Charity match... Wouldn't that be great!

Polaris 12-22-2006 11:04 PM

For a second, I thought that Justin was getting carried away, but he had the restraint to mention that Sampras can no longer handle the rigors of a full-blown pro schedule. I could buy the idea that Sampras could give most people on the tour a run for their money in a one-off three-set match not played on clay.

VGP 12-22-2006 11:27 PM

I like how JG mentions that Sampras uses a gut/synth hybrid (I'm assuming a natural gut/polyester hybrid) to go with his modded Tour 90 or nCode Tour 90 or whatever "bigger than 85" racket he's using now.

Even on the little camera phone videos that another TTW member posted on Sampras vs. Ginepri, you can still hear that great pop on the Sampras serve.

Sampras still has game. I would love to see an exo against Fed in 2007.

BreakPoint 12-22-2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travlerajm (Post 1130129)

That would be the sports story of the decade: Ex-world champion coming out of retirement to take on and try to take out the current dominating world champion in their greatest venue - hey, if Rocky Balboa could do it, why not Pete? ;) LOL

StunLock 12-22-2006 11:50 PM

the 90 frame looks huge on him, compare to his 85

Sagittar 12-23-2006 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StunLock (Post 1130205)
the 90 frame looks huge on him, compare to his 85

maybe it's a paintjob :D