Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   one handed and two handed backhand (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=110522)

kuyoungj 12-27-2006 10:29 AM

one handed and two handed backhand

Hi. I'm a freshman in a high school in Maryland.

I'm trying out for the spring season for tennis and I currently have a

one handed backhand right now. I'm ok, but it still needs some work.

On the other hand, I have no clue or idea in hitting a two handed

back hand, but I don't have time for both. So should I go on with my one

handed backhand or start learning a two handed back hand so I could

be capable of both? thanks ;).

krprunitennis2 12-27-2006 10:57 AM

A two handed backhand is a choked up non-dominant forehand with your dominant hand stabilizing the racket near the butt of your racket. Power comes from your left hand in a two handed backhand. I think it depends on you if you want a two hander or one hander, but if you're trying out for the next semester, you might stick to your one hand backhand since I heard that some people's backhands got messed up from learning both (but lots of other people in my school know both, and it can make tennis more fun for us ^_^).

thejackal 12-27-2006 11:23 AM

It really depends on how strong ur non-dominent side is. my 1 hander used to be really bad but i never bothered to learn a 2hbh because I shot right-handed in hockey, which is like a lefty 2hbh.

xtremerunnerars 12-28-2006 05:04 PM

If you are up for somewhat of a challenge, stick with the 1 hander.

If you hit things open and with pusher-style slice with a 1 hander, be realistic and either learn it the right way or switch to a two hander.

heycal 12-28-2006 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejackal (Post 1135402)
It really depends on how strong ur non-dominent side is. my 1 hander used to be really bad but i never bothered to learn a 2hbh because I shot right-handed in hockey, which is like a lefty 2hbh.

I'm confused. Can you rephrase this? I'm not sure if you're a righty or lefty or what you're saying about the non-dominant side and 2 hbh's...

looseswing 12-28-2006 07:32 PM

If it "just needs some work" I advise that you just work on it instead of learning a new backhand.

thejackal 12-28-2006 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heycal (Post 1137554)
I'm confused. Can you rephrase this? I'm not sure if you're a righty or lefty or what you're saying about the non-dominant side and 2 hbh's...

im rh, but have been doing somelike the lefthanded 2hbh since i was 6

heycal 12-28-2006 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejackal (Post 1137623)
im rh, but have been doing somelike the lefthanded 2hbh since i was 6

A left handed 2hbh hit by a righty is basically a righty 2 handed forehand, isn't it?

welcome2petrkordaland 12-28-2006 10:31 PM

don't drastically change what you have already; however, you really should learn to play the way that's "right" for you. and don't buy into the stereotypes behind each shot. . . like that one-handed bh's are tough to execute on high balls . . . and that players wit two-handed bhs have trouble slicing and perhaps hitting a bh volley. it all depends on the player. i think whether you go w/ a one-hander or a 2-handed bh is a matter of FEEL, COMFORT, and TOUCH among many other things.

One thing to consider is your STRENGTH (or if you're still growing or planning to soon commit to a strict fitness program, the range of strength you'll most likely have in your tennis playing days). many players of average strength opt for the two-hander simply to get more pop or more pop and control.

your MOBILITY should be factored in as well. having a two-hander makes it a bit harder to reach some balls on the run. if you're not the fastest guy, a 2-hander may make you more vulnerable to a well-placed ball to the bh side. on the flipside, if you're quick, having a 2-hander may be fine as your mobility will make up for that limitation in reach.

just some very general ideas