Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Wprst Tournament Conditions (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=112994)

tennismike33 01-14-2007 09:14 PM

Wprst Tournament Conditions

Just played in a tournament in Oregon where the temps inside were as cold if not colder, low 30's than they were outside. I did not take off my long sleeve top the whole match, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Now if I could spell I would be dangerous!!!

Tennis_Gnat 01-14-2007 09:21 PM

OK, OK, I's gots goooooood conditions (no, I'm not high, nor drunk, I'm being facetious). How about fifty mile an hour wind from the one side to the other side of the court. About 40 degrees without windchill. Sleeting and hailing.

Or the misty rain that the wind gusts into your eyes? that sucks too. It doesn't wet the court much either (although the court is damp). So they have you play outside for about five games.

psamp14 01-14-2007 09:45 PM

i cant vote on this...all those conditions are bad...well maybe cold is not as bad since if its not too cold you can warm up, break a sweat, and it could be bearable...but rain is bad for slippery courts, heavier balls, potential string pops...but a match usually gets stopped because of rain when the courts get that wet

i think wind is really bad because of obvious reasons...messes up your toss, lobs dont work, and in heat sometimes it gets to your head

tennismike33 01-14-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psamp14 (Post 1171259)
i cant vote on this...all those conditions are bad...well maybe cold is not as bad since if its not too cold you can warm up, break a sweat, and it could be bearable...but rain is bad for slippery courts, heavier balls, potential string pops...but a match usually gets stopped because of rain when the courts get that wet

i think wind is really bad because of obvious reasons...messes up your toss, lobs dont work, and in heat sometimes it gets to your head

I didn't even break a sweat, I took off my long sleeve shirt after a couple of games, put it right back on becasue of how cold it was!!!

Tennis_Gnat 01-14-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psamp14 (Post 1171259)

Yeah, wet courts are bad. Cold isn't too bad. Heat, I don't mind because I'm usually the fitter person and take it as an advantage.
But I did play five games on wet courts, and in misty rain. I was down 1-4 in part because I was afraid of slipping and sliding. The courts were slick and the rain was getting in my eyes on the one side. We then went inside and I came back, won that set 7-5, then continued to win that match 6-0 in the second set. And my coach now was watching that match, actually, when he was recruiting me. He knew I'd win that second set easily and left before the second set even started I think. I believe it was a H.S. Sectionals match. First round. The same year, in Districts, it was ridiculously windy. I had on sweatpants and a sweat-shirt. For me, that's unusual because I get warm and sweat a lot quickly. The wind carried the ball ridiculously. It started to hail and the tournament director told us to "stop and stand still!" But everyone ran off the court. It was 4-4, maybe 4-3 during the first break, I believe. I ended up losing that match 6-4, 6-4. It was the qualifying match for states. I would've won that, I swear, if it hadn't been for the conditions and the break in momentum because of the hail. I was playing real well before the break. But I can't blame anyone but myself. I'd vote rain and wind, but I'll vote rain as worse. I've also been delayed eight hours by rain. Wind I can deal with, although not very fondly. I won a match, however in the wind. A three-setter, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4. Cold, eh, I can put on sweats. I don't like it much at all, especially with the hands, with cold fingers. I played in a 28 degree day outside once. My hands were purple. Heat, as I said before, I don't mind. I've played enough three hour clinics in 90 degree weather. With, obviously a higher heat index on the court. Won a couple in heat, too. Played two three-setters in 90 degree weather in one day. Won one, lost the second. But I played them with like 30 minutes in between.

psamp14 01-14-2007 10:21 PM

wow thats pretty insightful....

i guess in all those types of weather, they are more or less equally bad...except rain because match play should be stopped (i hope)

patrick922 01-14-2007 10:37 PM

i think windy is the worst. but cold and windy is even worse.

i dont think playing in the rain is a good idea, and i dont mind playing in the heat.

Duzza 01-15-2007 01:48 AM

OK Well I don't play in rain that would be stupid but Heat then Wind, but both are shocking.

Tennis_Gnat 01-15-2007 06:00 AM

I think we're all in agreement that playing in the rain is probably the dumbest thing to do. But yes, it has been allowed to go on. I would vote cold as the second worst. Then wind, then heat. Sorry for the rambling, it brought back memories....

Key word psamp14: should.

NbladeTopspin 01-15-2007 06:35 AM

Wind

It messes up everything(especially toss on the serve)

Than cold, heat, and rain in that order

NbladeTopspin 01-15-2007 06:36 AM

Good thread

PimpMyGame 01-15-2007 06:47 AM

I voted wind but the worst conditions I played in was when the lights fused one night in the bubble. I could only see the exit sign.

CrocodileRock 01-15-2007 06:51 AM

Of these 4, rain is clearly the worst, since it will always stop play, and the other 3 won't. However, you left off snow. That's right, snow. I played a tournament a few years ago in Abilene where the first day got snowed out. The next day, it thawed out, the snow turned to water, so we squeegeed off the courts and continued the tournament.

One time I played when it was 5 below. Didn't stay out very long though.

WFrame9109 01-15-2007 06:52 AM

Being told you need to wait for team x to finish an entire match, eatting two hot dogs and a giant rice crispy treat, then hearing your name called.

Oh.

Personally, I would go with wind... But cold can be pretty bad.

tennismike33 01-15-2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WFrame9109 (Post 1171790)
Being told you need to wait for team x to finish an entire match, eatting two hot dogs and a giant rice crispy treat, then hearing your name called.

Oh.

Personally, I would go with wind... But cold can be pretty bad.

What is wrong with this? Oh, it was the rice crispy treat, those are so yuckie!!!! How about adding a large A&W Root Beer.

FEDEX1 02-23-2007 08:09 PM

I'm from New England so i am used to cold weather. The thing that i hate is when its hot and mild. I guess the only thing worse than heat would be rain, tho if its a good court and there not to much puddles then i'm alright.

J011yroger 02-24-2007 10:22 AM

LOL Fedex1 we should set up some sort of arrangement, I hate playing in the cold (But I am young and stupid so I do) and when it is like 90 degrees with 90% humidity I love it. I can absolutely destroy the ball.

So how bout it, I will play for you in the hot, and you play for me in the cold?

J

tennismike33 02-24-2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FEDEX1 (Post 1272962)
I'm from New England so i am used to cold weather. The thing that i hate is when its hot and mild. I guess the only thing worse than heat would be rain, tho if its a good court and there not to much puddles then i'm alright.

I grew up playing in New Egland and early Spring practices were VERY chilly. Occasionally we would brush aside the snowflakes to play.

Of course we walked 5 miles in the snow, uphill, both ways to school!!

I too love playing when it is hot and humid, my OLDER muscles can loose early.

FEDEX1 02-24-2007 05:31 PM

haha ok JO11yroger. We'll to that sometime. In the cold after the warm up im good. But in the heat can't get colder really so ya... i like the cold