Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Mary Carillo - Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=114367)

prostaff18 01-20-2007 04:57 PM

Mary Carillo - Discussion

Mary Carillo will you please shut up!!!! OMG am I the only one that has noticed that Mary Carillo never shuts up during the points. She will start talking then once the point has started she is still going on and on about some useless crap that no one even cares about. What, is her brain to small to remember what she was going to say until the point is done? I mean she doesn’t even know what she is talking about. In the Nadal match she was praising the way that Nadal hits his forehand (with the follow through up over his left shoulder rather than across his body) and all but said that it is the best way to hit it. I wonder how many people sitting at home watching that went to their club the next day and tried to hit their forehand that way and then had to quit because their wrist hurt so bad after 10 minutes. She then went on to say that the way that Nadal hits his forehand is better than the traditional way of coming across your body. Yes that is the truth if you like to make things as complicated, and inefficient as possible. Thank God that Cliffy was there to set her straight! I wonder how Cliff Drysdale can even put up with her.

I hope that someone agrees with me, I mean it makes me so mad when she talks during the points. Even Pmac’s constant praising of Andy Roddick, and Dick Enberg’s complete lack of tennis knowledge are better than Mary Carillo’s constant babbling.

guitarplayer 01-20-2007 05:11 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth! The mute button is so nice when she's on.

Bjorn99 01-20-2007 05:21 PM

None of the people commentating on tennis know what is going on technically anymore. But, DOES anyone want to see John Yandel on television? Yes for me. But most probably don't.

Tempyst 01-20-2007 05:21 PM

ohohoho, then you will DESPISE korean commentators...(I am korean myself)

dowjones 01-20-2007 05:28 PM

prostaff18, I agree with you totally. MC stands for Mute Constantly! :-D

Mick 01-20-2007 05:31 PM

I also hate how Carillo would take a side during a match, for instance Wimbledon 2006 where she picked Mauresmo to win (against JHH) and then proceeded to praise most of Mauresmo's efforts.

superstition 01-20-2007 05:44 PM

I don't care for Cliff Drysdale's commentary most of the time. He used annoy me more in the past, though. I suppose I'm mellowing with age. I watched matches with the mute button because I couldn't listen to his endless prattle.

Vitaly Evchenkov 01-20-2007 06:26 PM

nothing is as creepy as Carillo imitating Nick Bollitieri !!!!

maverick66 01-20-2007 06:35 PM

the worst is when the combine carillo with pam shriver. that is the most annoying thing ever. one is boring and the other puts you to sleep. anyone ever seen the SNL were they had the two women doing the radio show with alec baldwins sweaty balls. thats what it sounds like.

superstition 01-20-2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick66 (Post 1186589)
the worst is when the combine carillo with pam shriver. that is the most annoying thing ever. one is boring and the other puts you to sleep. anyone ever seen the SNL were they had the two women doing the radio show with alec baldwins sweaty balls. thats what it sounds like.

I'll take that over Cliff Drysdale and some other guy whose name I don't know, but who clearly has never played tennis in his life and speaks like an overtrained machine because of his years in comm classes. Shiver is OK.

Cliff strikes me as a nice person, but his commentary gets on my nerves, especially when he repeats himself. Really, though, ESPN's commentators are better than the woman who was on the Tennis Channel and said players like Henin and Clijsters are aging divas who will be leaving the game soon for the latest crop of 18 year olds.

Breaker 01-20-2007 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superstition (Post 1186597)
I'll take that over Chris Drysdale and some other guy whose name I don't know, but who clearly has never played tennis in his life and speaks like an overtrained machine because of his years in comm classes. Shiver is OK.

You wouldn't happen to be thinking of "Oh my" Enberg would you? If so, then I agree, those two make my ears bleed and my IQ drop several points if I listen to them.

maverick66 01-20-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superstition (Post 1186597)
Really, though, ESPN's commentators are better than the woman who was on the Tennis Channel and said players like Henin and Clijsters are aging divas who will be leaving the game soon for the latest crop of 18 year olds.

kim clijsters is retiring at the end of this year. so she is leaving the game. i will agree that that aging diva isnt a good way to describe her.

avmoghe 01-20-2007 07:03 PM

I don't hate any of the commentators aside from Dick Endberg - the guy has absolutely nothing to add aside from his "oh my's" and "delicious" comments.

Drysdale, McEnroe (both), Carillo, Courier, Gilbert or Shriver actually are actually around the game and used to be pros. Often they add some anecdotes about their work or interactions with players in locker rooms or other places.

I don't even mind Chris Fowler all that much. It's just Endberg that annoys me to no end.

superstition 01-20-2007 07:04 PM

I think it's Fowler than I was thinking of.

avmoghe 01-20-2007 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superstition (Post 1186719)
I think it's Fowler than I was thinking of.

It may be. Drysdale is the guy with the South African accent. He used to be a pretty good pro in the 60s-70s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Drysdale

See the profile link at the bottom for a picture.

dima 01-20-2007 07:17 PM

I actually like Fowler, he's funny at times.

Raistlin 01-20-2007 07:17 PM

Indeed....I wonder if Tivo could probably mute the commentators alone

superstition 01-20-2007 07:18 PM

I know Drysdale played tennis. I was thinking about the other one.

vllockhart 01-22-2007 07:47 PM

Why Mary Carillo Should Never Commentate Again

10. She sucks.

9. She says every stupid, dumb, idiotic thing that comes to her mind.

8. She obviously remembers every thing every tennis player and commentator ever said and is dying to repeat each and every quote no matter how wrong the timing.

7. Her opinion of the player changes point by point.

6. She has an even worse haircut than Lisa Rinna and that's saying something.

5. She's a HATER of the worst order.

4. Her tone of voice is so annoying I have to hit "mute."

3. She's a phony.

2. I don't think her colleagues even respect her.

1. SHE NEVER KNOWS WHEN TO JUST SHUUUUTTT UUUUPPPPPPP!!!!

Thank goodnees she's been banned from the Roddick/Fish match...if only she could just stop telling us that she was banned. And stop telling us that she wants to utter a pun. Geez, she's just the worst. Can you say "pink slip?"

nalbandian_fan 01-22-2007 07:48 PM

Mary Carillo!!! hahaha

I heard her say the F-bomb and then like 15 minutes later she apologizes for it, and then shes talking to someone else without knowing that she was still on air and says "I'm assuming i'm gonna be fired after this match."