Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Do most of you swing HARD? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=115515)

Ronnie92 01-28-2007 07:16 PM

Do most of you swing HARD?

For the most part, do you guys swing full out, or do you swing casually? I've been told I swing too hard, but I'm positive that most pros swing very hard.

Sagittar 01-28-2007 07:18 PM

i take a full swing 95% of the time

Noveson 01-28-2007 07:18 PM

Pros swing hard because they do not miss very often. YOu are swinging to hard when you miss every on every 4th shot or so. I swing hard, but that is just because I miss more often when I don't because a lack of topspin.

Noveson 01-28-2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagittar (Post 1212004)
i take a full swing 95% of the time

I think full is different from swinging hard. I almsot always take a full swing except when taking on the rise or something like that.

Ronnie92 01-28-2007 07:21 PM

Yeah, I've noticed that when you get lazy, you ironically hit much deeper (and usually out as a result).

Sagittar 01-28-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noveson (Post 1212016)
I think full is different from swinging hard. I almsot always take a full swing except when taking on the rise or something like that.

95% full swing , 100% hard swing , it's always hard but not always a full one ..

Amone 01-28-2007 07:24 PM

I hit about 80% on (rather flat) my backhand side for a passing shot, 40-50% for a rally shot, but about 60% max speed on my forehand. I can't swing very fast on a serve, but on a groundstroke my fastest swing tends to connect horribly and just go flying (straight up from the framejob) so I don't swing near that fast if I'm not feeling 'in the zone.'

Noveson 01-28-2007 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagittar (Post 1212033)
95% full swing , 100% hard swing , it's always hard but not always a full one ..

That is mostly the same for me. Otherwise I would hit it flat into the back fence. The OP though is being told he is swinging too hard and that is either because 1) He is making a lot of errors from lack of accuracy or 2) His friends don't like him blasting winners past them. In case #1 he needs to either take a little off, or swing just as hard and work on putting more topspin on the ball.

Ronnie92 01-28-2007 07:29 PM

I'm making more of a transition from an Eastern to a semi-western. I think that is going to help me get more topspin, definetly.

Sagittar 01-28-2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie92 (Post 1212057)
I'm making more of a transition from an Eastern to a semi-western. I think that is going to help me get more topspin, definetly.

will help you get more topspin and swing more freely and harder also without the ball landing long ..

Noveson 01-28-2007 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagittar (Post 1212065)
will help you get more topspin and swing more freely and harder also without the ball landing long ..

Not to mention make you that much closer to being Nadal:p

Techniques 01-28-2007 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie92 (Post 1212057)

My friend found it very hard to change grip to get more top spin. If it doesn't work out it is better to stick with what you have.

Solat 01-28-2007 09:17 PM

i have been described as a brute and just try to bash every ball

but thats whats fun in my mind

unforced error count is way high but so is huge winners lol just lately its been too many from column A

thejackal 01-28-2007 09:46 PM

i swing at 60% most of the time. when i'm hitting really well, then its below that.

tennis_hand 01-28-2007 11:07 PM

I'll swing hard only if I need to.
Power is just one aspect.

Bungalo Bill 01-29-2007 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie92 (Post 1211999)
For the most part, do you guys swing full out, or do you swing casually? I've been told I swing too hard, but I'm positive that most pros swing very hard.

I swing fast. I do not try to muscle the ball but instead use the energy I create from my stance, foot pressure against the court, and the natural motion or kinetic energy chain created from the bending of the knees, the backswing, the rotation, and the comeback into the ball.

Rarely do I feel I am using muscle to hit the ball. It is simply a fast swing generated from the lower body.

I also use what TravelrJam indicated on another post. I use motion and energy to hit the ball.

Case in point, my serve.

My shoulder, arm, hand, wrist and overall body state is relaxed. Energy is transferred up from the ground using my leg muscles to generate power. My leg muscles are taxed but my upper body is relaxed and uses the muscular and kinetic energy from the lower body to penetrate the ball.

Mick 01-29-2007 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejackal (Post 1212504)
i swing at 60% most of the time. when i'm hitting really well, then its below that.

I would swing with even less power until I am in the position to put away a forehand shot. Then I would swing at about 70% of my strength :)

andreh 01-29-2007 04:25 AM

If by hard u mean muscling the ball, then no. I try to stay relaxed and power will come from the backswing and body rotation.

dave333 01-29-2007 02:48 PM

I relax. this by itself brings a lotta power.

blubber 01-29-2007 03:47 PM

Bungalo Bill, it's nice to see you post again, I haven't read one in a while. I just wanted to thank you for some of the advice you've written on these boards over the last few years. When I find something interesting or helpful in the forums I usually copy and paste it in a word document. When I was going through those clippings recently I noticed a lot of the stuff I copied was from you. One piece of advice that helped with my fh motion was to think of petting a dog. That really helped me visualize things despite not having pets. This tip allowed me to get the butt cap pointing in the direction of the ball. As a result I'm pulling rather than pushing the racquet forward, creating a fast and powerful stroke.
With your help I made a big jump in my game this past year.