Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Sampras returns to Team Tennis in 2007 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=116991)

Fee 02-05-2007 10:27 PM

Sampras returns to Team Tennis in 2007

Here's a link to the press release put out by the WTT today. Sampras will play again, but it looks like he will travel less and play less than he did last year. The full schedule and the full press release can be found here
http://www.wtt.com/news/news_info.asp?news_id=260

It was a bit too long to post it all here. :)

Sagittar 02-05-2007 10:44 PM

excuse me , but what is team tennis ? is it some kind of friendly tournament?

Fee 02-05-2007 11:02 PM

It's a league that is played here in the States during the month of July. Shorter sets, a total of five matches per night, team scoring. It can be kind of fun, it's very noisy, some people think that its not real tennis. The players that I know that played it enjoyed the paycheck, but the schedule can be brutal (3 different cities in 3 days sometimes). If you read around in that website I listed above, you might get more of an idea about it. It's all exhibition, doesn't count for anything really.

jackcrawford 02-06-2007 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fee (Post 1231666)
It's a league that is played here in the States during the month of July. Shorter sets, a total of five matches per night, team scoring. It can be kind of fun, it's very noisy, some people think that its not real tennis.

I didn't do a search, so forgive me in advance if this is redundant - I saw Pete vs. Warburg in Sacramento and he looked just awful but from what little I've seen on youtube of the UCLA hitting sessions he looks pretty good. Was he injured or just rusty the first season? Did you see live or on video any of the Roddick or Ginepri exos?

Fee 02-06-2007 07:30 PM

I was at the Sacto match too. I think Pete was perpetually rusty during team tennis last summer, he lost to a lot of players that he should have beat. He looked just a little bit heavy to me. I think he may have been figuring out what he was doing out there and getting used to the idea of playing again. I have a feeling that he is more motivated this year, I know that he and Justin have had some pretty decent practice sessions in the last few weeks. It's a shame that he will play fewer matches this summer when he might actually be more watchable. :)

Sagittar 02-06-2007 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fee (Post 1231666)
It's a league that is played here in the States during the month of July. Shorter sets, a total of five matches per night, team scoring. It can be kind of fun, it's very noisy, some people think that its not real tennis. The players that I know that played it enjoyed the paycheck, but the schedule can be brutal (3 different cities in 3 days sometimes). If you read around in that website I listed above, you might get more of an idea about it. It's all exhibition, doesn't count for anything really.

thanks Fee ..

macroscopic 02-08-2007 08:18 AM

The old WTT

WTT, Jeez what memories. it seemed like all the big names were in the league back in the late 70s.

I went to watch WTT matches when I played HS tennis. It was great to get to see players like rosewall, goolagong, king, vitas etc. I can't remember for sure but I think nastase, laver and stan smith also played.

the matches were a lot of fun, It was a laid back atmosphere and the players were loose and laughing but man could they hhit the ball. The multicolored court was unusual too.

Hope to see one of the current matches. Where can you get the team rosters?

Fee 02-08-2007 09:18 PM

www.wtt.com, but the draft isn't until March, so you can only see the big name players that have committed to play.

[K]aotic 02-08-2007 09:46 PM

sweet sampras is awesome, but i'm pretty sure that he just needs time to catch up to where he left off. wat i wanna see is sampras vs. federer. i would definitely go see that one!

jetlee2k 02-22-2007 02:12 AM

I am a Pete Sampras fan but for fairness, Pete would not have a chance against Federer. Fed is a much more complete player, alot more consistency and his backhand is a weapon NOW. Even Agassi said the same thing, Federer hit an "impossible playable" shot with some interest back to the opponent. Fed is a much better return than Pete so to all fairness, Fed is a more rounded player with more weapon than Pete

Pete.Sampras. 02-24-2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [K]aotic (Post 1239061)
wat i wanna see is sampras vs. federer. i would definitely go see that one!

Who wouldn't. Sampras talked about that before he played against Ginepri a few months ago. He said that he would need two months on hardcourt to be ready for that. But it won't happen ;)