Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Rating of former pro racquetball player (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=117544)

Cindysphinx 02-09-2007 10:52 AM

Rating of former pro racquetball player

A teammate knows a player who might wish to join our 3.0 team. She's a former pro racquetball player, but hasn't played competitive tennis.

Does the computer have restrictions on how low former pros in other sports can rate? Or do they only care about tennis experience?

I don't want to waste her time (or mine) if she can't play with us.

Aside to CAK: Isn't that weird? These potential singles players just keep falling into my lap! :)

raiden031 02-09-2007 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 1240078)
A teammate knows a player who might wish to join our 3.0 team. She's a former pro racquetball player, but hasn't played competitive tennis.

Does the computer have restrictions on how low former pros in other sports can rate? Or do they only care about tennis experience?

I don't want to waste her time (or mine) if she can't play with us.

Aside to CAK: Isn't that weird? These potential singles players just keep falling into my lap! :)

You mean teaching pro? I think the rule is that anyone who played any other sports competitively whether high school, college, or even pro must start at least 3.0. Although you should have people play against her and see if maybe she is already above that level. Although she would probably have extremely funky strokes.

Cindysphinx 02-09-2007 10:58 AM

I'm not sure whether I mean teaching pro. I was told pro player, but I've never heard of professional racquetball.

A fact I will be sure to keep to myself should I ever meet her.

cak 02-09-2007 11:30 AM

I'm pretty sure the only restriction for pros from other sports, or athletes in general, is they should start at 3.0. I play with a lady that was a nationally ranked racquetball player, she started as a 3.0 and actually stayed there for a few years. Her racquetball skills helped eye hand coordination, but the court sense and keeping her strokes from being too wristy kept her from being an immediate standout. She's great now. (That said, she's a doubles player, couldn't play singles to save her life. Darn I'm jealous...)

Cindysphinx 02-09-2007 11:42 AM

What is it that makes it hard for a racquetball player to play singles? I would have guessed they'd have more trouble with the firm volley wrist, but that their groundstrokes would have serious spin.

raiden031 02-09-2007 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 1240191)
What is it that makes it hard for a racquetball player to play singles? I would have guessed they'd have more trouble with the firm volley wrist, but that their groundstrokes would have serious spin.

I don't think they can hit top spin very well, because I think the racquetball stroke comes underneath the ball, whereas top spin goes over top of the ball.

cak 02-09-2007 02:26 PM

Considering I never got that good at racquet ball, I'm not sure how the games compare. I do know the good racquetball player does have awesome underspin. And her lack of singles has nothing to do with speed, she can play the entire doubles court with a statue for a partner. But she just doesn't play singles.

andfor 02-10-2007 07:40 AM

It really depends. I played tennis with a former racquetball world #1. He could easily start out at 3.5 maybe 4.0 and had the athletic skill to move higher. His strokes where pretty text book and I believe he played some tennis growing up as a kid so his transition was easy. Their is another former world #1 named Cliff Swain. It was rumored he was a highly ranked sectional junior, about a 5.0 tennis player before he went pro in racquetball.

Go hit with her and let us know.

J011yroger 02-10-2007 08:28 AM

When giving lessons, I can pick out racquet ball players instantly, it is just about as easy as picking out a grown man in a pink tutu in a group lesson. Here is my experiance. Racquetball players have terrific hand/eye for beginners, and they are fine with reacting to volleys, and are money at the net once you teach them proper volley technique. Before you teach them proper volley technique they get the racquet on everything, but, it isn't pretty. Most of them have decent luck off the ground with game improvement/granny sticks, as they kind of slap at the ball, this generates a light fast ball that is kind of unlike most things you see at the low levels, and allows them to be successful. If they want to learn more tennis like, topspin strokes, then that is going to be a project. The serve is the other tough thing for them, it is just like teaching anyone else (Except maybe a baseball or other throwing player) and you pretty much start from the ground up. Ummm what I am trying to say I guess, is with a handfull of lessons, and a couple months of practice, a pro racquetball player should be able to play 4.0 tennis, it won't be pretty, but it will be competitive.

LoveThisGame 02-10-2007 02:06 PM

Racquetball players don't know tennis tactics. But they do know rball tactics and their importance, so they learn readily. They're not used to having more court to cover, whether doubles or singles.

The wristiness is hard for them to combat, particularly on backhands; it's habit and habits are hard to discard. They will adapt to tennis, but those residual habits may affect how well they wind up playing.

Raiden.Kaminari 02-10-2007 03:39 PM

A pro racquetball player would also have very good footwork, besides the excellent hand/eye coordination. In fact, they would have even better stamina than a normal 3.0 player would.

So have the player come out and play a few times ... you'll see how quickly they improve. Then ask yourself this question:

Would I want to be playing against this person? Do I have a chance beating this person 6 months from now?

If the answer is "yes," that person should be at your level. If the answer is "no," then it would be inconsiderate and unsportsmanlike to allow that player on your team.