Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   how did donald young get so over-hyped in the beginning anyway? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=117623)

foryou42 02-09-2007 07:25 PM

how did donald young get so over-hyped in the beginning anyway?

i'm just curious.....i mean if he's that bad and companies are paying him millions in sponsorship, they must be pretty dumb....actually, i have never
seen donald young play but ppl in these threads really seem to downplay
young's ability......is he that bad? and if so, why is he so over-hyped?

Fee 02-09-2007 08:03 PM

John McEnroe saw him hitting when he was 13 or 14 and talked about him on a USOpen broadcast. Bingo, instant stardom.

Duzza 02-09-2007 08:05 PM

He is not a bad player. He is what 16/17? He won the AO Junior at 15....he's got talent, just not ready for the ATP YET.

35ft6 02-09-2007 09:26 PM

He became number 1 junior in the world at aged 15? 16? That's how.

300Gkid 02-10-2007 03:39 AM

yea, the youngest number 1 junior ever (is that correct? i thought so but didn't really want to look it up) at 16 years old. THAT, is how he got "overhyped", i personally think, right now he's not big enough to compete on tour and should continue play junior ITF events.

Sagittar 02-10-2007 03:44 AM

companies are paying him millions already ?!!!

and he's 17 and a half , shouldn't wait much longer ..

brayman9 02-10-2007 05:48 AM

he's getting there

tangerine 02-10-2007 10:07 AM

He's young, black, and gifted. USTA is desperate to show how "multicultural" tennis really is so they zoom in on any black talent they can find. They are clearly hoping Young turns out to be another Tiger Woods.

Meanwhile, better talent that's not so young and black is completely ignored, like Sam Querrey. Which may have been a blessing in disguise because while Young had stumbled under the pressure and glare Querrey has quietly been posting some impressive results.

Phil 02-10-2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangerine (Post 1242257)
He's young, black, and gifted. USTA is desperate to show how "multicultural" tennis really is so they zoom in on any black talent they can find. They are clearly hoping Young turns out to be another Tiger Woods.

Meanwhile, better talent that's not so young and black is completely ignored, like Sam Querrey. Which may have been a blessing in disguise because while Young had stumbled under the pressure and glare Querrey has quietly been posting some impressive results.

I think this is spot-on the money, but a lot of people don't want to say it in public.

I don't know DY, but I'm wondering if his results wouldn't be better if he didn't have his parents, Nike and the USTA exploiting him.

Fee 02-10-2007 10:16 AM

I think he would be Phil. The very first time I ever laid eyes on him and saw the diamond rocks on BOTH of his earlobes, I had a very bad feeling that he was going to run into trouble. Thankfully, he is on the circuit where he belongs now, and he can develop his game like a normal player. Hopefully IMG won't be strong arming tournaments to give him wildcards this year, he needs to be out of the spotlight for a while.

skuludo 02-10-2007 10:26 AM

You want to see Donald Young play? Here is the video. http://braingame.dartfishnet.com/d00...o/young%20.wmv

Dashbarr 02-10-2007 10:40 AM

I agree completely. We've overlooked star talents trying to prove how multicultural we are. Sam Querrey is a fantastic young player. McEnroe's assumption that DY would be thee best sure got him attention, but nothing to back it up. Nike pours money on him, and IMG feeds him with neverending Wildcards. its horrible.

lenbo01 02-10-2007 01:41 PM

blame johnny mac, him talking about the kid, built up the legend. i saw donald young practicing at the us open a few years back. if he grows a few more inches and gets his head together he could be decent.

RacquetDoctor 02-10-2007 01:50 PM

Scoville Jenkins has more talent that D Young. None of the hype. He's a couple of years older. DY is a waste of nike money, just like Brendan Evans was (white).

bagung 02-10-2007 02:00 PM

because they need young , new american hero, to replace roddick and blake, who seems to getting nowhere. urgently need someone to beat federer and becomes no 1...

ChiefAce 02-10-2007 02:23 PM

He won the Mid-West Closed 18's as a 13 year old, something I believe thats never been done before. He was spotted by Johnny Mac I believe way before he was 13 and he got lots of hype from that. Not only that but he was a dominant junior winning basically everything under the sun from an early age until now. Don't forget the kid is only 17 right now, he has plenty of time. Guys like Ginepri and Fish didn't do anything on tour until they were about 20-21.

kooyah 02-10-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

I think the problem is further compounded by the fact that many people are very focused on discovering "the next great American hope" in the sport and they want to find that person FAST. So, they latch onto whoever they think might be that person and build the hype around the discovery.

Bjorn99 02-10-2007 02:51 PM

From watching that video, both players have certain really good things, and other things, are pure amateur hour. The white guy had actually better contact and snap, but had the stiffest hamstrings and hips I have seen since watching the world over 75 championships. This is something his coach should have addressed at a young, young, age. It is still somewhat rectifiable, but would take two to three years. Painful to say the least.

Donald Young, has NOTHING that would scare a top fifty player, NOTHING. His forehand is JUNIOR all the way, and his backhand a serviceable BUNT. His serve wouldn't scare the flies off a piece of sh_ t.

Again, this just scares me to see guys play so badly at this level. The coaching, worldwide is still so jurassic. I coach two young black kids and if they ended up this bad, I would encourage them to take up choir.

We still train in anonymity, but we will emerge at some point. From watching the top juniors and these guys, I don't see any urgency. It is all a hack and a chop out there. Factories and unitennis. No athleticism, no Federer's at all. No wonder that guy dominates.

Fee 02-10-2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagung (Post 1242600)
because they need young , new american hero, to replace roddick and blake, who seems to getting nowhere. urgently need someone to beat federer and becomes no 1...

So the top ten is nowhere?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjorn99 (Post 1242671)
We still train in anonymity, but we will emerge at some point.

Will this be before or after the second coming of Christ? Is your name Scott Paschal by any chance?

35ft6 02-10-2007 05:49 PM

Quote:

Don't think this is a clear cut case of racism. Donald Young have super impressive credentials and promise, and if he were top 30 right now, we wouldn't be so quick to rationalizing it as "he's black." Young was way more precocious and successful as a junior than Querrey, and I think even the people rooting for Sam are somewhat surprised by how far he's come.

It goes both ways, a black Anna K could never have happened. Being blue eyed and blond definitely helped her. If a blond, blue eyed, "all-American"
kid became the youngest number 1 junior in the world ever at a time when "who's the next great American" reached fever pitch, he would probably be more visible than Donald Young. Most of my non tennis playing friends don't even know who Donald Young is. Actually, I'd be surprised if any of them did.