Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Oliver Machine (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=117812)

Stimpy 02-11-2007 01:20 AM

Oliver Machine

Just got an old machine. Does anyone know anything about "Oliver" pedestal machine, it's a drop weight machine. It was made in Australia. I want to know how to use it properly. I'd be gratful for any information. Thanks.

coachrick 02-11-2007 05:44 PM

I think you will find it is similar to the Serrano shown on Al's stringing machine site. As I recall from the early 70's, the mounting and foot pedal activated weight system was basically the same. The one I worked on did not have a functioning hydraulic brake for the weight so the stringer had to 'ease' off the weight to apply tension. Had some beefy clamps, as well...not the most user-friendly machine around. Good luck!

Stimpy 02-12-2007 02:27 PM

Al's site

What's the URL for Al's site? Yeah it's got a heafty clamp but it only grips one string and it doesn't reach the string plane so I can't figure out how to use the clamp. Might have to use two floating clamps instead.
Thanks for the reply.

varuscelli 02-12-2007 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stimpy (Post 1246845)
What's the URL for Al's site? Yeah it's got a heafty clamp but it only grips one string and it doesn't reach the string plane so I can't figure out how to use the clamp. Might have to use two floating clamps instead.
Thanks for the reply.

Hey, Stimpy, I'd love to see photos of your machine if you've got any to show.

Here's the link to my site:

www.photostringer.com

I have photos of the Serrano machines on the Miscellaneous Stringing Machines page here, if those help at all:

http://www.photostringer.com/misc_st...g_machines.htm

Al Ruscelli
vruscelli@houston.rr.com

Stimpy 02-12-2007 02:40 PM

No problems

I'll post or email some to you later. I have to panel off at the moment to regrease all the moving parts and trying to figure out how it all works. Give me your email address and I'll send you some pics.

varuscelli 02-12-2007 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stimpy (Post 1246879)
Give me your email address and I'll send you some pics.

Right up above in the previous message. But you can also e-mail me from the website. I don't think I've seen any photos of an Oliver machine, so it you'd like it might make a nice addition to the stringing machine photo library. I'm running WAY behind on making posts right now, but I'll get to everything in a short while. But in any case, it would be interesting to see the machine you've got. ;)

Radical Shot 02-12-2007 06:47 PM

Hey Stimpy,

I have one of these machines also that I've tricked up a bit with a modern head. Best machine I've ever used - so quick, reliable and easy to use.

If you ever want to sell it, please let me know.

Here's a picture of it I posted a while ago
http://tinypic.com/b6662b.jpg

Here's the original thread
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...t=frankenstein

Basically, you press the pedal, pull, clamp and then release the pedal to tension. Repeat as necessary! The further away you move the weight, the more tension the machine delivers.

Best regards,

RS.

varuscelli 02-12-2007 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radical Shot (Post 1247460)
Hey Stimpy,

I have one of these machines also that I've tricked up a bit with a modern head. Best machine I've ever used - so quick, reliable and easy to use.

If you ever want to sell it, please let me know.

Here's a picture of it I posted a while ago
http://tinypic.com/b6662b.jpg

Here's the original thread
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...t=frankenstein

Basically, you press the pedal, pull, clamp and then release the pedal to tension. Repeat as necessary! The further away you move the weight, the more tension the machine delivers.

Best regards,

RS.

Hey, RS -- that's another machine that would make a good Stringing Machine Photo Library contribution. People would LOVE to see that one, especially with its hybrid nature. Let me know if you'd like to contribute any photos.

And Stimpy: Thanks for sending the shots! I'll look forward to more once you have it assembled to your satisfaction. And it looks like you may have found your subject matter expert in RS here. :)

Al Ruscelli
vruscelli@houston.rr.com

Radical Shot 02-13-2007 02:30 AM

Hi Stimpy,

Sorry, I couldn't reply by the messenger thing - the system was saying I didn't have sufficient permissions!?

Anyway, I'll have to post some more photos of my machine. The one above is a little misleading, because it shows the other drop-weight machine sitting on top of it. I use the original Oliver drop-weight mechanism, not the one sitting on top.

I found that the spindle of a Klip Gravity Pro fits exactly into the hole left by taking out the original table top of the Oliver. I put a spacer (a big nut) just to lift it a little and you would never know it wasn't part of the original design. It fits so well. The clamp is a little lower than the height of the racquet, but only just and I don't see how this can affect the string job in any way. I've broken a string (or a racquet for that matter) using this machine, and it is so easy to use that I reckon it would be a good race between me and someone on an electronic machine 30 years younger and 10 times the price. Anyone up to the challenge?

As I said, I'll take some more details photos of the setup and show you how I've done it.

For your situation, I believe that you'll need another clamp as the original machine only has one fixed, sliding clamp. Perhaps you can purchase another flying clamp from somewhere.

Otherwise, perhaps you can have mine! I don't intend using it anymore. I'll have another look at the original table top and clamp and let you know.

Best regards,

Radical Shot

Radical Shot 02-13-2007 02:39 AM

Stimpy, I can't use the messenger, so please post here.

I am in Australia. As you know, that cast-iron table-top + clamp + glide bar weighs quite a lot and I'd hate to think what the freight charge is to NZ. You're probably better off looking for a second-hand Klip like I did. There was one sold locally here off an auction site for around AU$300.

You'll end up with a super machine and you'll always be able to sell it for the same, if not more than what you spent on it.

Masamusou 02-13-2007 06:40 AM

How quickly can you string on that machine Radical Shot? I'm just curious since that machine is likely older than me... Probably at least 5-10 years older than me actually.

Stimpy 02-13-2007 12:30 PM

Interested

I'll be very interested in getting a hold of your old parts. I got my machine for the price of petrol picking it up so I am happy but have to practice on a few old rackets first. I am a complete beginner.

Any suggestions on how to go about learning. I have found a few sites so will have to dive in and string a racket as soon as I get another clamp.

Yes it only came with one fix clamp on a glide and in grabs one string, not 2 like the flying clamps. This clamp sits quite a way below the plane of the strings so I gather you pull the sting down to it? I thought the clamps clamp the strings on the same level that's why they have the notches in them?

I think I have to stringing process clear in my mind but not too sure about the clamps. I saw some clamps that look like vice grips and though I could convert some vice grips myself. I can't seem to add a picture of these clamps.

Stimpy 02-13-2007 12:35 PM

Pictures of Clamps

Have a look at those clamps here:
http://www.wagonbutterworth.com/projects/string/

If anyone knows where I can buy these I'd be interested in knowing their price.

varuscelli 02-13-2007 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stimpy (Post 1249157)
Any suggestions on how to go about learning. I have found a few sites so will have to dive in and string a racket as soon as I get another clamp.

Hi, Stimpy

You might have already seen many of these, but on the links section of the photostringer website, I do have a subsection dedicated to stringing instruction and related items.

If you scroll down the the Stringing Instructions, Facts, and FAQs section of this page, you might find some additional helpful links.

http://www.photostringer.com/links.htm

Stimpy 02-13-2007 06:52 PM

Thanks

Thank you very much I'll go and have a look now. Cheers.

Radical Shot 02-14-2007 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masamusou (Post 1248478)
How quickly can you string on that machine Radical Shot? I'm just curious since that machine is likely older than me... Probably at least 5-10 years older than me actually.

Hey Masamusou, well, today I strung a Volkl DNX 10 Mid Plus 18x20 string pattern in a 2-piece sythetic gut/poly hybrid in about 25 minutes. That included cutting out the string , measuring new string, adjusting the weight and mounting the frame. This was a personal best for me and the results were great.

I can't see a modern day machine doing this any better or quicker.

Radical Shot 02-14-2007 03:06 AM

Hey Stimpy, remember that this machine was built when wooden racquets were still around. If you look on the side of the machine you'll see a locking mechanism that the booklet manual says is for locking aluminium racquets in place. Don't know why you need to do that, but it shows that it was built for different styles of racquets. Perhaps you can lift the whole table top up a bit and put a washer / spacer in there to lift it up a bit so as to lessen the angle of the string to racquet.

If you ever make it to Canberra, look me up.

Stimpy 02-14-2007 02:23 PM

OK

My email is <stimpy_bum@yahoo.com> please let me know your email. You never know I might make it to Canberra. Cheers. I still have a heap of questions for you hope you don't mind.
Will have to buy you beer for all your help.

Radical Shot 02-14-2007 02:44 PM

Hi Stimpy, keep the questions coming!

What I'll do is replace the head on my machine back to the original state - exactly like yours. Then I'll work out how to string a racquet in this state and post some pictures and detailed notes etc.

Should be a good retro, learning experience.

NZ beer, yum. So many micro-breweries in NZ.

Stimpy 02-14-2007 03:34 PM

Thank you

You're too kind. I hope it's not an inconvenince. I would really appreciate it. Don't kow how to thank you enough.