Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Why isn't USA showing the Haas match in the 5th RIGHT NOW!!? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=11796)

BreakPoint 09-01-2004 03:33 PM

Why isn't USA showing the Haas match in the 5th RIGHT NOW!!?

As USA came on the air tonight (4pm PST, 7pm EST), the Tommay Haas - Sanguimetti match was just starting the 5th set. Why didn't they go immediatly to that match as they did with the Ferrero match yesterday? We never even saw the start of the Haas match because it just started as USA went off the air at 2pm PST.

Chanchai 09-01-2004 03:39 PM

They showed the end of it... I was looking forward to this match though, but kinda upset that it was a 5 setter. No disrespect to Davide, but Haas is on another level imo.

However, they will be damned if they don't show Haas-Grosjean which is a good matchup. But Courier is loving that matchup so they should show that.

-Chanchai

Matt H. 09-01-2004 03:41 PM

Haas/Grosjean is a solid quarterfinal match. They better f'n show it! I want night time on Arther Ashe darnit!! :lol:

ibemadskillzz 09-01-2004 05:58 PM

Haas/Grojean should be a great match like Courier said. Jim was leaning towards Haas rather than Grojean (12 seed) in his commentaries. He said Hewitt might face Haas in the quarters and said it will be great match up. lol. Haas won't get there.

Chanchai 09-01-2004 07:31 PM

Because of his summer performance, considering the draws he received, I'm leaning on Haas. However, what I presume to be Haas' first round performance does put in a bit of doubt. I'm surprised it went to 5 sets, but hey, some players have surprised us before by going almost all the way while having some hiccups in the early rounds... But Haas has been playing very well this summer despite painful draws.

The big reason not many people are calling him a favorite, even in the Agassi/Hewitt tier, is because if anything... He looks like he's a guy who will beat everyone EXCEPT the favorites that most people have chosen (namely Roddick and Agassi, implying Hewitt, and certainly Federer). And if he were to make the final, it's likely he'll have to deal with two of them, maybe three. But in his matches with any of those favorites who have sort of seperated themselves from the field for the summer, he's been awfully close to taking them down. Just looked like it was a battle of wills, killer instinct, and heart by the end of some matches--as opposed to a last second tank job.

-Chanchai

Matt H. 09-01-2004 08:34 PM

How's about this though....

At the begining of USA's coverage when they showed the final game of Haas' match, Jim Courier was talking about how he spoke with Federer, and he said that Fed and Haas have been practice partners the last couple days and Fed said Haas has been playing "surprising well" and that he was impressed.

Haas has proven that he's capable of beating the top guys. His record against Hewitt and Federer are pretty good, and he showed us that he can beat Agassi.

Matt H. 09-02-2004 06:18 PM

Well, USA said they're showing the Mauresmo match tomorrow morning at 11, which is the same time as the Haas/Grosjean match. :?

I hope they at least cut into the match a bit.

AndyC 09-03-2004 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chanchai
The big reason not many people are calling him a favorite, even in the Agassi/Hewitt tier, is because if anything... He looks like he's a guy who will beat everyone EXCEPT the favorites that most people have chosen (namely Roddick and Agassi, implying Hewitt, and certainly Federer). And if he were to make the final, it's likely he'll have to deal with two of them, maybe three. But in his matches with any of those favorites who have sort of seperated themselves from the field for the summer, he's been awfully close to taking them down. Just looked like it was a battle of wills, killer instinct, and heart by the end of some matches--as opposed to a last second tank job.

-Chanchai

Yes but he's been out injured and even Haas will admit he's surprised at how fast he's managed to recapture some of his form of old that saw him getting to number 2 in the world. Can he beat the very best? Well if he did he'd be a favorite already.. n I think it would be fair to say Tommy has been mentally fragile in the past. I think good for a top 10 place consistently over the next 2/3 years but not quite challenging for number 1.