Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Borg to play again! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=118922)

austro 02-17-2007 12:30 PM

Borg to play again!

According to the March issue of ACE tennis magazine, Bjorn Borg is to play at the Liverpool International Tennis Tournament, June 12-17 (on grass). He is scheduled to play in both the double and the singles.

I know he bombed at his previous attempt at a comeback but this should nevertheless be quite interesting. I wonder whether it is his desperate need for cash or the re-emergence of so many other old time greats that has given him the itch. He will have his work cut out but with enough dedication he will certainly be able to hold his own amongst his class. It would be great if this were to be a prelude to a later participation on the seniors tour.

www.liverpooltennis.co.uk

stormholloway 02-17-2007 12:45 PM

But he's not playing in the ATP matches is he? Just Legends or somethin?

Mick 02-17-2007 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austro (Post 1258970)
I wonder whether it is his desperate need for cash or the re-emergence of so many other old time greats that has given him the itch...

Borg used to be quite well off but those divorce settlements burned a big hole in his bank account.

austro 02-19-2007 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormholloway (Post 1259016)
But he's not playing in the ATP matches is he? Just Legends or somethin?

No, of course not. The doubles is with Bahrami, so quite clearly an exhibition match. But still, Borg has been notable for his absence since his attempt at a comeback in 1990 turned into such a disaster.

He might have been well-off but given that he considered selling his trophies he is probably less so now...

Ronaldo 02-19-2007 04:44 AM

Borg played on that Connors' Senior Tour in the 90s. How will he fare against opponents 20 yrs younger?

Ted Ghost Shackley 02-21-2007 02:38 AM

Come on, guys. This is a hit and giggle doubles exhibition, less serious than the Senior's Tour. Borg has played in exhibitions in the U.K within the last few years and said he was retiring after his last exhibition with John McEnroe in Dubai last year.

Note: Borg lost most of his money in bad business deals, but Bjorn Borg underwear is still a big seller in Sweden. His legacy deserves better. I hope to see a Borg comeback in tennis, but not on the courts.

Greengrass 02-21-2007 04:33 PM

This is the first time Borg has played on grass since his defeat to Mac at Wimbledon in 1981. He'll be playing a doubles and a singles match .. I have tickets for the latter. I never saw him play live and though he's obviously well past his prime, it'll still be a real thrill for me to see a player who, as Boris Becker said when he presented him with the BBC Lifetime Achievement Award in December, was the first "pop star" of tennis and an enduring legend of the game. He received an incredible ovation when he walked out onto the stage and did look visibly moved by it. And no, Borg is far from broke I can assure you!

I just hope it doesn't rain on June 15!

Ted Ghost Shackley 02-26-2007 11:56 PM

I was there for Borg's last ATP event in Monte Carlo in 1991 and by coincidence will be in England at the time of this grass court event. I am curious if anyone knows who he'll play in the singles exhibition.

christo 03-03-2007 09:02 PM

Nice article about Borg line of clothing and undies in recent uk Independent newspaper. Apparently he's making boatloads of dough from it