Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   johnny mac (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=119946)

coolhandluke 02-23-2007 05:44 PM

johnny mac

Is it me but are you sick of john mcenroe still trying to play pro or senior tennis. It seems that he has not moved on with his life. Every other pro plays a couple of senior events. J.Mac plays the european senior circuit and the US senior circuit. It just appears that Mac has nothing else to do. He doesn't work with up coming players, he has no foundation, and he quit being the davis cup captain. It is all about John. Every talk show he does fails because he has no personality. Never has someone told so many people to
f-off yet the world keeps sucking up to him

maxply 02-23-2007 05:52 PM

In a word ...NO! I have enjoyed watching him play since 1980, and his game still has an artistic beauty. As long as he can play I will enjoy watching.

Nick Irons 02-23-2007 07:03 PM

Are you serious ? I'd think he'd want to play competitive tennis until he physically can no longer play competetive tennis.

The guy won a doubles tourney just last year (San Jose)! He still has some game left.

PrinceThunder 02-24-2007 07:42 PM

Love for the game....Tennis

if u love the game why move on ? just cuz u get old and cant do the pro tour dont mean u have to put ur racquets up ...that is why the seniors tour was founded ,i would die to get to see mcenroe even at this time in his life if a tourny comes near me

Gundam 02-24-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolhandluke (Post 1272833)
Is it me but are you sick of john mcenroe still trying to play pro or senior tennis. It seems that he has not moved on with his life. Every other pro plays a couple of senior events. J.Mac plays the european senior circuit and the US senior circuit. It just appears that Mac has nothing else to do. He doesn't work with up coming players, he has no foundation, and he quit being the davis cup captain. It is all about John. Every talk show he does fails because he has no personality. Never has someone told so many people to

Just you. Also it's his life.

BeckerFan 02-24-2007 10:10 PM

McEnroe is a marvel. Feel lucky you're still able to see him play.

Far more entertaining than 99% of the pros out there today ...

slice bh compliment 02-24-2007 10:33 PM

Everything you people say is true, I think. He seeks to play so damn much BECAUSE he is inherently not a game show host or talk show host. Unfortunately, people aged 30 to 55 LOVE him and want to give him opportunities he cannot really pull off. His talent is in entertainment....of the tennis kind. And he craves the limelight. So, really, what choice does he have but to play and get in the booth? You think he will fade humbly into ignoreland....anonymity? You canNOT be _ _ _ _ _ _ _ !

rasajadad 02-25-2007 03:08 AM

I still play USTA 50's tournaments. I just love to compete and love the game. Hopefully, I'll be around and healthy enough to play in the 80's too. (After that, I'll definitely retire!)

Azzurri 02-25-2007 07:31 AM

I guess Mac should sit on his ***** and watch reality TV shows all day.

killer 02-25-2007 02:16 PM

Good point, slappano! I mean really, what do we want our tennis heroes to end up doing when they reach middle age...sit at home, get fat and bored with life, or continue to do the thing that makes them passionate, makes them feel alive, and gives us the privilege of continuing to enjoy their unique talents? Granted, mac doesn't have a foundation as many players of this era do, but if ti's not what he's into, then why **** him? The guy was an art dealer, has played in rock n' rol bands, won a dubs title last year with Bjorkman (no spring chicken himself!), and continues to provide commentary. Gimme a break! he's doing just fine IMHO.

ipodtennispro 02-25-2007 10:45 PM

Mac's tantrums

[quote=coolhandluke;1272833]Is it me but are you sick of john mcenroe still trying to play pro or senior tennis. It seems that he has not moved on with his life. Every other pro plays a couple of senior events. J.Mac plays the

Tennis: I just snapped, says Mac

-->
Advertiser Links
-->
Saturday, February 24, 2007

By David Kelly

John McEnroe imploded in stereotypical style at the Odyssey Arena last night. As Frenchman Henri Leconte tore up the script with a 7-6 (10-8), 6-3 victory McEnroe raged at female umpire Leah Donnellan and at one point in the second game of the second set refused to play on over a controversial call.

Then in the final game of the match former Wimbledon champion McEnroe launched a foul-mouthed tirade which led to a line judge reporting him to umpire Donnellan who proceeded to give him a warning for an obscenity.

In the post-match press conference McEnroe admitted that he simply " snapped" and found it hard to come to terms with why he allowed himself to go totally out of control.

McEnroe said: "I think I had eight break points to win the set and three set points to win the tiebreak and didn't win that. And then for a couple of games I just snapped. And after that I just lost it.

"There were a lot of bad calls but it shouldn't have come to that - I should have won the first set. As much as I'd like to blame someone ultimately I have to blame myself. When it comes right down to it I don't know what happened."

McEnroe also addressed the situation when he sat on his chair and refused to play on, which led to Leconte bringing a ball boy on the court and hitting with him as his opponent looked on.

"It was such a bad decision," he added. "I felt I was just going to wait and see what happened next and at that point I just think that was just me saying what are you going to do now. It was a poor call obviously and then she played a let after God knows how long... then he hits a ball with the ball boy and it becomes a complete joke. That's the part that makes matters worse."

Indeed, when play did resume McEnroe unleashed four serves directly at Leconte with no attempt to win the point.

McEnroe added: "I just sort of went off the deep end. I figured I wasn't winning points the other way, maybe if I hit him I could win a point."

McEnroe also seemed angry at the packed crowd who whilst supporting the brash American also relished in his ranting at the officials.

McEnroe said: "What can I say? They got what they wanted, you can't have it both ways.

"If you're going to expect me to be upset, I'm going to play worse, I don't play better now.

"I used to play better, I did that when I was 20 but at this age I don't play better, my game drops - I don't know what they think to be honest, I think it's ridiculous.

"Ultimately I have to blame myself - people kinda like to see me get ****ed off and then they feel they're happy but when I lose then they go 'huh'.

"I may not be here on Sunday - that's the trade off. See how they like it when they see Leconte playing someone in the finals.

"Maybe if people realise it they may get behind me more often when I need them to get behind me. I just think they don't get it literally until match point and then they think wait a second he might lose."

It was unfortunate that McEnroe's volatile outbursts overshadowed what was, particularly in the first set, a game of the highest quality with both players producing outstanding winners from every angle.

McEnroe had a golden opportunity to break Leconte's serve in the eleventh game but allowed four break points to slip away.

The Frenchman eventually held after two deuces with an ace and then McEnroe sent the first set into a tiebreak with an ace of his own.

Former Davis Cup winner Leconte began the tiebreak with another ace and then unleashed a sizzling backhand return winner to take a mini break, which McEnroe cancelled out leaving the score at 3-3.

McEnroe served another ace to go 8-7 up before Leconte held his two serves and then punished a poor second serve from the American to take the set.

Clearly McEnroe couldn't come to terms with losing the first set and in the second the demons just took over and Leconte took advantage.

classic tennis 02-26-2007 04:10 AM

IMO Mac is still great for the game & as long as he can stand up & play for people why not? He makes on average $100K per week to turn up & believe me when trying to sell a seniors event, he is the only players sponsors are interested it, which is a bit of a shame. Also TV's first question , is Mac playing & at what times as that's the only guy worth televising.

alwaysatnet 03-09-2007 05:44 AM

What can you say? Still a brilliant player. Still an infantile self centered a--hole.

vudal 03-09-2007 07:51 AM

johnny mac has the ugliest style out there. Looks so cheesy, especially his forehand. I think i can beat him in straight sets.

LttlElvis 03-09-2007 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vudal (Post 1302148)
johnny mac has the ugliest style out there. Looks so cheesy, especially his forehand. I think i can beat him in straight sets.

I don't know what your game is like, but McEnroe would not lose to any Div. I college players. He is still very good.

Jack & Coke 03-10-2007 07:56 PM

McEnroe is my all time fav player. I wear my shorts just like him! ;)

Jet Rink 03-10-2007 08:05 PM

Quote:

Sorry sir - but what a stupid post. Have you watched Johnny Mac play? The guy can still do it. And if he's got nothing else to do buy keep the Senior Tour afloat then so be it - that's a pretty damn good thing in my opinion. At least we get to occassionally see points being constructed and varied play.

Sounds more to me that you just don't like the guy.

Jet

Jet Rink 03-10-2007 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vudal (Post 1302148)

Bro - you couldn't. So quit dreaming.

Jet

scotus 03-10-2007 11:17 PM

Quote:

Have you thought of the possibility that Mac is constantly sought after to play these tournaments? Perhaps he is the biggest draw on the senior tour?

Jack & Coke 03-10-2007 11:48 PM

mac is my fav all-time. he is a true artist on the court.