Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   1hb, impossible to hit low balls (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=120387)

Tempyst 02-26-2007 10:54 AM

1hb, impossible to hit low balls
 
I play with a 1hb and it's ok, but whenever the balls is low, I have to return it with a slice or it will go into the net. I can't seem to drive the racquet head up as I am swinging through a low ball. I don't know if I lack the muscle strength, but it's really causing me problems.

VGP 02-26-2007 11:09 AM

There's nothing wrong with slicing back low balls. Learn to move it around and it's a great stable shot.

Andrew 02-26-2007 11:19 AM

Or, if you don't want to slice as much, try bending your knees more and see if that helps hit low balls.

Owen0501 02-26-2007 11:48 AM

Bend the knees - I had this problem for a while and was told it was because I was bending from the back and not getting low enough with the knees. the change has worked wonders!

JRstriker12 02-26-2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen0501 (Post 1278156)
Bend the knees - I had this problem for a while and was told it was because I was bending from the back and not getting low enough with the knees. the change has worked wonders!

Bingo!!!

As an example, see Fed's backhand here: http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/instr....aspx?id=38286

I've hit some nasty top-spin shots with my 1h-bh....... on the days I rember to bend my knees.

ShcMad 02-26-2007 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRstriker12 (Post 1278175)
Bingo!!!

As an example, see Fed's backhand here: http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/instr....aspx?id=38286

I've hit some nasty top-spin shots with my 1h-bh....... on the days I rember to bend my knees.

James, good to see you around. I hope your tennis is going well. We should hit sometime soon. Now that you mention it, I really wanna see if you bend your knees when you hit your backhand these days. hehe.

Anyways, back to the topic, yes, it is essential to bend your knees, and never at the waist. If you look at Federer or Gasquet, when they get low balls, their knees will almost be touching the ground.

warneck 02-26-2007 12:38 PM

It's not a 1HBH related problem, rather one that issues you.

Try practicing hitting low balls with 1HBH topspin instead of slice, be consistent - Stop hitting slice for some time, then you can return to it when you got a good topspin backhand on low balls..

Try bending your knees more and hitting it like any regular 1HBH-stroke :)

drakulie 02-26-2007 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen0501 (Post 1278156)
Bend the knees -

Ditto this. Like anything else you have to practice it.

good luck!

JRstriker12 02-26-2007 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShcMad (Post 1278215)
James, good to see you around. I hope your tennis is going well. We should hit sometime soon. Now that you mention it, I really wanna see if you bend your knees when you hit your backhand these days. hehe.

Anyways, back to the topic, yes, it is essential to bend your knees, and never at the waist. If you look at Federer or Gasquet, when they get low balls, their knees will almost be touching the ground.


John,

What's happening? Yeah, if you are around, drop me some e-mail and we'll hit.

Well, the knees bend on occasion, still working on it.

JR

Tempyst 02-26-2007 01:26 PM

Thanks for the quick insight, now I just have to pray it stops snowing or raining -_-.

maverick1 02-26-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warneck (Post 1278243)
It's not a 1HBH related problem, rather one that issues you.

How do you topspin a ball that is less than a foot above the ground, even on the forehand side?
As far as I have seen, people either hit sidespin or, if they force a topspin shot, it will be a loopy junk ball off the bottom edge of the frame.

JRstriker12 02-26-2007 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick1 (Post 1278399)
How do you topspin a ball that is less than a foot above the ground, even on the forehand side?
As far as I have seen, people either hit sidespin or, if they force a topspin shot, it will be a loopy junk ball off the bottom edge of the frame.



IMHO

A reverse forehand works pretty well on a low shot when you are trying to hit top spin.

You'll also have to bend you knees on the forehand side and you would probably use a semi-westren or eastern forehand grip. Just get low and brush up. You may even scrape your racket off the court,

You can still get some topspin and a fairly low ball. Maybe not a ball that you have to scrape off the court (2-3 inches), but it's possible with a ball 6 inches to a foot off the court.

Verbal_Kint 02-26-2007 03:04 PM

I hit a topspinbackhand crosscourt winner from less than 1 foot off the ground and at around the service line just yesterday. Hit it in front and use a lot of wrist. It is a low percentage shot though..

porchdoor 02-26-2007 03:45 PM

i have the opposite problem. i actually have a 2hbh, but i wanted to try the 1hbh to see if i could actually do it. i was only to execute this shot on really low balls but not balls that were higher than knee level.

i have a game this thursday. i dislocated a finger on my left hand, and it hurts when i use pressure on my left hand. i was just gonna chance it and use a 1hbh. if anyone can give tips that would be great.

Tempyst 02-26-2007 05:00 PM

I suggest consistent and deep slices, as you are not used to the 1hb.

Noveson 02-26-2007 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verbal_Kint (Post 1278520)
I hit a topspinbackhand crosscourt winner from less than 1 foot off the ground and at around the service line just yesterday. Hit it in front and use a lot of wrist. It is a low percentage shot though..

Okay....thanks for that:rolleyes: I'll just start hitting crosscourt winners now.;)

Tennismastery 02-26-2007 07:01 PM

When faced with a very low backhand, you must change the swing path if you hope to hit a significant topspin. You can't just take the swing path up the back of the ball from behind the ball...you can't get the racquet below the ball.

But, similar to the 'buggy whip' forehand where the player sweeps from close to their body and exaggerate brushing out away from them, you can hit a lot of topspin (and a little side spin) on a ball that is only inches off the ground. Drop your head of your racquet down by your left ankle (if your right handed) and brush up and out well away from you with a very closed stance.

This is a shot that must be practiced and perfected. Otherwise, you can always hit an effective slice on virtually any low ball. (As others have mentioned.)

ShooterMcMarco 02-26-2007 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRstriker12 (Post 1278175)
Bingo!!!

As an example, see Fed's backhand here: http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/instr....aspx?id=38286

I've hit some nasty top-spin shots with my 1h-bh....... on the days I rember to bend my knees.

Thats a good sequence there, his knee is almost touching the ground. Perfect backhand posture :shock:

tennis_hand 02-26-2007 09:08 PM

bending the knees is the key here. if it is a very low slice, you also need to swing very fast to get the ball over the net to counter the ball's backspin.
It is not an easy shot. On a good day, you can do it, but what about most of the time when you are not above your normal form. so you should complement it with the slice. when the ball is so low and fast that there is even no space for you to place your racket below the ball, a slice a safe shot to keep it in play.

tennisdude083 02-26-2007 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porchdoor (Post 1278597)
i have the opposite problem. i actually have a 2hbh, but i wanted to try the 1hbh to see if i could actually do it. i was only to execute this shot on really low balls but not balls that were higher than knee level.

i have a game this thursday. i dislocated a finger on my left hand, and it hurts when i use pressure on my left hand. i was just gonna chance it and use a 1hbh. if anyone can give tips that would be great.

i also have that problem... i sometimes try hiting a 1 handed backhand but i find that i can only hit it well when it is like really low for some reason.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse