Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Federer's Racket (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=120586)

califsurferboy33 02-27-2007 12:34 PM

Federer's Racket

Ok, first off again I would like to apologize if this has already been discussed before. Please don't hassel me about it thanks! Ok in a lot of posts i've read everyone says wilson doing a bad job of customizing federer's racket or they have strung his rackets exetra. So my one question is...what racket is he using? Is he using the prostaff 6.0? Is he using the prostaff tour? Is he using the ncode? Is he using the kfactor? Thanks!

drakulie 02-27-2007 12:46 PM

All of the above!

califsurferboy33 02-27-2007 12:48 PM

I mean what racket is he using currently under the paint! Thanks

drakulie 02-27-2007 12:55 PM

Honestly?? Who knows. I personally believe he is using a custom mold of a PS85. With that said, the racquet he currently uses is closer (it seems) in appearance to the k90 than the ncode 90, or ps tour 90. This is because of the spacing in the crosses and the number of crosses in the PWS.

Mr. Sean 02-27-2007 02:48 PM

So basically we can finally conclude that federer uses a custom ps 6.0 with a 88 or 90 inch head. The fact that people say he uses a 6.0 85 right now is completely irrelevant because feds racquet has more strings. The new k90 is supposably the closest to what federer uses right now because one it has similar feel of a ps85 and the handle is short just like a p85 and the head is 90 inches. My question is why doesn't wilson just release federers real racquet call it the prostaff 6.0 88 or 90 end of story. It will sell well because we have everyone on this board trying to get as close to it as possible by buying k factors and ncodes. I understand the k90 is most similar to it but I cant stand that hideaous trendy paint job. If fed preferred a larger head on a superb racquet like a ps85 then I bet all the ps85 users would benefit from it as well.

drakulie 02-27-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sean (Post 1280966)
My question is why doesn't wilson just release federers real racquet call it the prostaff 6.0 88 or 90 end of story.

Wouldn't that be awesome!

By the way, I like the k90's paintjob.

califsurferboy33 02-27-2007 03:07 PM

how do we know that he's not using a ps tour painted?

Lambsscroll 02-27-2007 03:13 PM

I think Fed likes where the flex occurs in the PS 85. Low tension combined with the high flex point works well with the PS 85. Any newer model Fed uses more than likely has this high flex point. When I say flex point I mean where the bend occurs on the racquet.

master935 02-27-2007 08:54 PM

I think that he is using a (K)-factor. Albeit a modified one, but he is still using it. The way that you can tell, where the throat of the racquet connects to the bridge(the bar the holds the strings at the throat for those that don't know), it comes to a point at the top two corners of the triangle(if you have an ncode of kfactor racqoet just look at where I'm talking about and you will understand). The old PS racqets don't have this.

ibemadskillzz 02-27-2007 09:17 PM

I talked to davis cup captain, i said this before, he uses hyper prostaff 6.0 Box Beam 90 head size Euro version. Davis Cup captain use to be my coach, he has one of those racquets that Fed played with- can't be purchased in the US and rare in euro, only top players and few coaches receieved them.

master935 02-27-2007 09:52 PM

I think that the whole "paintjob" thing is bull*****!. Ok,some pros "may" have pianted their racquets a few times... but it is not going on as much as everyone thinks that it is, on this website.

larlarbd 02-27-2007 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 1280781)
Honestly?? Who knows. I personally believe he is using a custom mold of a PS85. With that said, the racquet he currently uses is closer (it seems) in appearance to the k90 than the ncode 90, or ps tour 90. This is because of the spacing in the crosses and the number of crosses in the PWS.

Yup , I think so too - he is using a modified PS85 that has a 90sq-inch head , he has been using that all along ( remember the racquet he used against sampras in wimbledon 2001 - he is using that till now - Wilson just painted the thing as 1st PS tour 90 , then N90 now K90 but that thing has always been the same .

larlarbd 02-27-2007 11:06 PM

Quote:

So basically we can finally conclude that federer uses a custom ps 6.0 with a 88 or 90 inch head. The fact that people say he uses a 6.0 85 right now is completely irrelevant because feds racquet has more strings. The new k90 is supposably the closest to what federer uses right now because one it has similar feel of a ps85 and the handle is short just like a p85 and the head is 90 inches. My question is why doesn't wilson just release federers real racquet call it the prostaff 6.0 88 or 90 end of story. It will sell well because we have everyone on this board trying to get as close to it as possible by buying k factors and ncodes. I understand the k90 is most similar to it but I cant stand that hideaous trendy paint job. If fed preferred a larger head on a superb racquet like a ps85 then I bet all the ps85 users would benefit from it as well.

The K90 paintjob is hideaus indeed - the only thing thats stopping me from getting that right now is the paintjob , even a blind man will feel ashamed to hold that as a stick.
UGLYY !!!

andreh 02-28-2007 12:37 AM

I think he is using woodie with a hologram emitter in the handle that places a k90 image over it. It's some sort of sci-fi tech from the future merged with old school racquet tech. Honestly, a Wilson rep told me.

Povl Carstensen 02-28-2007 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by master935 (Post 1281891)
I think that the whole "paintjob" thing is bull*****!. Ok,some pros "may" have pianted their racquets a few times... but it is not going on as much as everyone thinks that it is, on this website.

I am pretty sure that in the 2001 match against Sampras, they both used the same size (85') racket. Federer himself also says he changed later.
And I do not think anyone who has followed this board can say that the "paintjob" thing is bull*****! It has been verified time and time again, also by stringers on the tour.

maverick1 02-28-2007 04:36 AM

Quote:

My question is why doesn't wilson just release federers real racquet call it the prostaff 6.0 88 or 90 end of story.

Exactly my question as well, assuming Federer is playing with something other than the K-90.

Someone had a theory that Federer insisted on Wilson not releasing his racket. That doesn't make any sense, because I am sure his competitors can get hold of one of his rackets, measure the specs and have identical rackets made by their sponsors. In any case, it doesn't look like any of his competitors want anything remotely resembling his racket. Hardly any top pro uses a 90 sq inch headsize.

The other explanation for why Wilson doesn't release a racket Federer's exact specs is that they think (correctly) the number of people who can play effectively with Federer's specs is almost zero. So they feel they are better off selling an easier-to-use racket that they can con people into thinking it is Federer's racket.

Wilson's marketing people obviously don't read TT boards. If they made a special edition racket identical to Fed's, get Fed to vouch for the specs, price it at twice the second most expensive racket in the market, it would bring in more revenue than the rest of Wilson's tennis product line. I know I would buy one right away and probably more later.

larlarbd 02-28-2007 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Povl Carstensen (Post 1282076)
I am pretty sure that in the 2001 match against Sampras, they both used the same size (85') racket. Federer himself also says he changed later.
And I do not think anyone who has followed this board can say that the "paintjob" thing is bull*****! It has been verified time and time again, also by stringers on the tour.

Yes , it was a PS85 ( head size 85 )but it wasn't the same as sampras - the throat looked wider , it had a yellow/gold/red sticker on the inside of the one of the bars & it looked a bit thicker than sampras's slim st.vincent one - I'm saying wilson made him a 90 version of that & then started the paint-job campaign . Without a doubt I can prove that FED is still using a paintjob racquet ( the 1st one wilson made for him - still ) not a K90 . The K90 FED is using now has a N90 buttcap - not the K90 transparent buttcap - moreover , K90 specs says it has 18MM Flat beam - but Fed's one looks like it has a 17MM flat beam - more like a PS 6.0 85.

PimpMyGame 02-28-2007 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larlarbd (Post 1282481)
Yes , it was a PS85 ( head size 85 )but it wasn't the same as sampras - the throat looked wider , it had a yellow/gold/red sticker on the inside of the one of the bars & it looked a bit thicker than sampras's slim st.vincent one - I'm saying wilson made him a 90 version of that & then started the paint-job campaign . Without a doubt I can prove that FED is still using a paintjob racquet ( the 1st one wilson made for him - still ) not a K90 . The K90 FED is using now has a N90 buttcap - not the K90 transparent buttcap - moreover , K90 specs says it has 18MM Flat beam - but Fed's one looks like it has a 17MM flat beam - more like a PS 6.0 85.

The sticker is probably one put on by the tournament stringer and how can you notice 1mm difference by looking at a photo?

If Fed is using a PJ (and I think he probably is) then part of his overall deal is that he has a mould put aside for him exclusively. The costs of doing this are absolutely negligible in the whole scheme of things and clearly Fed believes that his secret set up gives him competitive advantage. That's debatable, I doubt many on the tour (let alone us mortals) would improve if given his racket.

larlarbd 02-28-2007 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PimpMyGame (Post 1282513)
The sticker is probably one put on by the tournament stringer and how can you notice 1mm difference by looking at a photo?

If Fed is using a PJ (and I think he probably is) then part of his overall deal is that he has a mould put aside for him exclusively. The costs of doing this are absolutely negligible in the whole scheme of things and clearly Fed believes that his secret set up gives him competitive advantage. That's debatable, I doubt many on the tour (let alone us mortals) would improve if given his racket.

No Bro - not a photo , I'm watching dubai open , I can tell the difference ( I'm pretty sure - though even the smartest person will some times be mistaken ) but to make sure I talked to the stringer & held one of the racquets for a few mins - the bumper guards are a bit more raised than my K90 & buttcap is N90 one & I DID NOT HAVE A CHANCE TO MEASURE THE BARS - but trust me : I have 8 PS85 - it looks like a PS85 bar.

larlarbd 02-28-2007 09:01 AM

ohh , one more thing - NO noticeable leads on the racquet , but the stick did feel very heavy.