Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Olivier Rochus....Giant in a small man's body! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=12104)

tennisforlife 09-05-2004 09:12 PM

Olivier Rochus....Giant in a small man's body!

O.Rochus is IMHO the most talented player on the ATP tour. That combined with his never say die attitude and small size are why he is my favorite pro to watch. He has the best drop shot of anyone on tour (just ask Albert Costa) and his volley's are top notch although his lack of reach does hinder his effectiveness at net.

At Indian Wells in 2003 I had the extreme pleasure of watching Olivier play against another one of my favorites Fabrice Santoro. The shot making in this match combined with both their quick feet produced many thrilling points. Olivier prevailed in this match 6-1,2-6,6-3. I remember hearing a spectator who had just arrived at this match telling his friend "Hey let's come watch these 2 short players, they're hitting some awesome shots!"

On Olivier's listed height of 5'5" I think this is close since my brother is about 5'6" tall and when he stood right next to Olivier my brother was definitely an inch or two taller. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture....darn.

yee 09-06-2004 04:01 AM

I can't remember who commented this, but Rochus was once said as the best returner in the tour after Andre and Hewitt.

It was a very entertaining match to watch, Moya/Rochus. I remembered also watching the Rochus/Safin match in Monte Carlo I think, he did the same there and made Safin run for almost every shot, it was great.

pound cat 09-06-2004 04:41 AM

Safin has lost to Ollie several times, but finally beat him & as frustrating a player for him as Santoro. Safin and Rochus have paired in doubles lately.. Iwish I could have seen that.

@wright 09-06-2004 08:29 AM

I agree with all that has been said about Rochus, I'm so glad he beat Moya's sorry butt, that guy is really irritating me with his lack of fight.

degreefanlindi 09-06-2004 10:08 AM

Rochus

This is the first I've seen of Rochus, and I am also impressed with him. He is fun to watch and despite his size, he does have a certain drive about his game that allows his fire to come through in matches. I look forward to watching him play more matches. Where is he from btw?

yee 09-06-2004 10:11 AM

Belgium

arosen 09-06-2004 11:52 AM

Ollie is a great example of how size can be irrelevant on tour. A great encouragement to all those guys under 6 feet. Rochus is hella small, but his game is hella big.

BaselineAce 09-06-2004 05:24 PM

I saw Rochus today; too bad for that injury...he really was looking amazing. His serves dropped about 20 mph once that injury came about; some first serves were recorded at 69 m.p.h.

Hewittfan22 09-06-2004 10:04 PM

whats his fastest

goober 09-06-2004 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewittfan22
whats his fastest

why you want to know what you should be shooting for? :lol: :lol: 8)