Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   can a vibration dampener affect tennis elbow? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=121842)

Bobble 03-07-2007 09:43 AM

can a vibration dampener affect tennis elbow?

I use poly strings and dont want to switch because I play so well with them. But I use a babolat pure control + with a 1 handed bh and don't use a dampener. I have been making slight adjustments to my form but im wondering is use of a dampener can have any effect. thanks

LuckyR 03-07-2007 10:48 AM

For tennis elbow, in a word: no.

cghipp 03-07-2007 11:25 AM

In my experience, it definitely makes a difference. Just because it hasn't affected you, LuckyR, that doesn't mean it won't affect someone else.

However, Bobble, IMO you need to give up on the poly strings if you are serious about helping your elbow.

LuckyR 03-07-2007 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cghipp (Post 1298286)
In my experience, it definitely makes a difference. Just because it hasn't affected you, LuckyR, that doesn't mean it won't affect someone else.

If it isn't common sense and you don't believe me, perhaps www.racquetresearch.com knows more than either of us...

The Effect of String Damping Gadgets

Damping doo-dads on the strings damp only residual string bed vibration, and do not really protect the arm by damping frame vibration. Adding more mass to the head in the form of a damping gadget is a bad idea because it increases r in the formulas and therefore worsens performance, so the damper should be light. Pete Sampras' string damper is just a cable grommet, and Andre Agassi uses a rubber band.

D-man 03-07-2007 12:00 PM

I've found string dampening to be able to significantly reduce frame vibration, not just the pinging sound. This is not scientific analysis and I am not a physics major, but it was quite dramatic and apparent; without dampener, frame vibrates noticably going up the arm, with dampener, frame does not vibrate noticably, vibration does not travel up arm.

I would think also it would depend on the racket and the dampener. I have found two fat rubberbands to be the most effective.

AJK1 03-07-2007 02:29 PM

Unfortunately you do two things that greatly cause TE
1) You use poly
2) You use an extended length racquet

Unless you are willing to change these two things you will damage your arm and affect your tennis for a long time. I speak from experience. Whats more important to you?

cghipp 03-08-2007 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 1298324)
If it isn't common sense and you don't believe me, perhaps www.racquetresearch.com knows more than either of us...

LOL - I think I'll take my own direct experience of the way I feel with and without using a dampener.

chess9 03-08-2007 05:34 AM

A dampener will do nothing for your elbow. If you have tennis elbow, or the stirrings of tennis elbow you might consider using a 27 " racquet, in a softer flex (that one's about 70?), with gut strung lower. Poly is fantastic, but unless you are using one of the softer polys, like SPP, then you are courting disaster if you are having elbow pain. Also, most elbow pain is caused by poor fundamentals. Take a lesson or 20! I take them at 64!!! Even the pros take them.
-Robert

LuckyR 03-08-2007 10:22 AM

^^^^^^^ What he said...

cghipp 03-08-2007 10:37 AM

My fundamentals must be dramatically better when I am using a dampener!

Bottle Rocket 03-08-2007 11:30 AM

A dampener definitely MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

To think that string vibration does not effect your arm is a serious thing to overlook. When we're talking about strings vibrating at extremely high frequencies as they do, it can really irritate things in your elbow as well as your wrist. The effects are perceived differently by each person, but regardless of what you feel, there is a difference in what is transmitted to your arm. What do you think dampens the string vibration without a dampener? It is transmitted directly to the frame and in turn is transmitted to your hand and throughout the rest of your arm.

Frame vibration is another big issue, that depends on the frame and other things. Prince rackets do a great shop of getting rid of this vibration. This is the idea behind Babolats Cortex technology.

Like the others said, softer strings and a standard length rackets are also obvious things to do. If you don't have TE at the moment and are careful and pay attention to any warning sings, you will probably be fine. Keep tensions low on poly's, use a dampener, and use an overgrip to dampen even more shock.

Bobble 03-09-2007 12:41 AM

thanks bottle rocket

scotus 03-09-2007 03:09 PM

When you don't have TE, all that a vibration dampener does is control sound.

But once you have developed TE, then your elbow becomes extremely sensitive to the string vibration, and my experience tells me that it can aggrevate the TE.

I don't know if you people have tried Babolat Racket Vibration System (RVS). TW sells it for a few bucks, and this product claims that it not only dampens string vibration but also the frame vibration (which is a whole lot more important for TE sufferers).

I was skeptical at first, but I tried it. It made a believer out of me.

chess9 03-09-2007 04:21 PM

Show me the proof. Anecdotal schmanecdotal. Not worth a sou. The physics doesn't lie. Let's see the studies. These bloody things are just another marketing gimmick for all of us aficionados. Or, something.....Get yer' wallet out....

I'm very very skeptical, just in case you hadn't gotten my drift. :)

-Robert

scotus 03-09-2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chess9 (Post 1302933)
Show me the proof. Anecdotal schmanecdotal. Not worth a sou. The physics doesn't lie. Let's see the studies. These bloody things are just another marketing gimmick for all of us aficionados. Or, something.....Get yer' wallet out....

-Robert

Feel free to disagree. Exercise your freedom.

heycal 03-10-2007 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chess9 (Post 1302933)

-Robert

What do we make of CGHIPP's claims that a dampener helps her elbow? Is she only imagining that it helps and benefiting from a placebo effect?

cghipp 03-10-2007 11:01 AM

It must be the most long-term placebo effect in medical history. Without the dampener, my arm is more sore from my wrist to my shoulder. I will take the most obvious cause as the most likely one.

JWin 03-10-2007 11:24 AM

I demo'd a Prince 03 Tour and Dunlop Aerogel 300 this past week, absolutely no doubt the dampener made the racquet feel more solid, I can feel string vibration in the handle with it removed in both of these racquets.

heycal 03-10-2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cghipp (Post 1304227)
It must be the most long-term placebo effect in medical history. Without the dampener, my arm is more sore from my wrist to my shoulder. I will take the most obvious cause as the most likely one.

Personally, I have no real opinion on vibration dampeners but am curious about the issue. I find it very interesting that you swear up and down that vibe dampeners help your arm, but luckyR and Chess9 among others claim they do not help one's elbow at all. So either you are right, or they are.

We seem to be an impasse on this issue... LuckyR? Chess9?

chess9 03-10-2007 03:29 PM

Cal, this important issue will have to be decided the way all important issues are resolved in the world. I have the coin. Heads I win, tails you lose. :)

I admit I'm a bad person to ask about tennis elbow because I've never had it, but I notice de natha with a dampener, except the slightly reduced sound one gets with a dampener installed. I play with a dampener, btw, but not because it does anything for my elbow. The placebo effect probably has value, however. ;)

-Robert