Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Why don't pro players post here? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=121985)

max 03-08-2007 09:03 AM

Why don't pro players post here?

I guess that's my question. I would think that after playing, I'd relax in a hotel room with a cool drink and either the TV or the internet hookup.

raiden031 03-08-2007 09:30 AM

I don't really understand this myself. People might say they are too busy. But the average person, at least in america, is extremely busy, yet still has time to have an online presence. I would think even with all the traveling, they would probably bring a laptop and have some wireless ethernet in their hotel rooms. If regular people enjoy the internet/chat/forums so much, you'd think celebrities and pro athletes would as well.

Condoleezza 03-08-2007 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max (Post 1300093)
I guess that's my question. I would think that after playing, I'd relax in a hotel room with a cool drink and either the TV or the internet hookup.

:D :D
You are joking, no?
The tennis knowledge here is abysmal ...

Condi

jamauss 03-08-2007 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Condoleezza (Post 1300341)
You are joking, no?

Condi

Bingo.

They are some exceptions to this rule but generally speaking...I agree.

bad_call 03-08-2007 01:22 PM

how do u know they don't? oh yeah they may be cruising other sites.

chaz_233 03-08-2007 01:26 PM

Public figures have a different social life than you and I.
In other countries the Internet doesn't play such an important role in people's lives as it does for Americans who don't a have a clue what it means to live in community.
There's probably some legal issues, too. Given that so many Americans are on boards like these that automatically increases the chance of being sued. "Fed told me to do/buy/try this or that and I got hurt/disappointed/injured/different/unexepted results and my greedy=lawyer told me I can sue for millions"

JRstriker12 03-08-2007 01:50 PM

10 Reasons Why Pros Don't Post Here:

1. I don't know, maybe they are practicing and training?

2. Living like a tennis star can be tiring - you know all the women, cars, clothes, clubbing. Probably rather sleep to save energy for when the next supermodel calls than talk to a bunch of 3.5 hacks.

3. Can't always get a internet connection while spending most of thier hours traveling from tournament to tournament in planes, cars, trains, etc.

4. If Roger Federer or any other pro posted here, who would actually believe that Roger Federer was posting on TT?

Federer1- It's really me guys. Since you guys want to know what I am playing with, I wanted to tell you that I am really using the K-Factor now. No paint job.

Deskjocky32- No way. Get the **** out of here. I don't have time for sockpuppets like you. Now 10isLover456, what racket do you think Federer is REALLY using? Any picts?

5. TT is connected to a online tennis store. If I was a pro, I'd want $$$ to make an appearance on that store's chat boards.

6. Since they aren't chained to a desk 8 hours a day and hopefully love what they do, they don't need to go online to talk to people. They can actually get up and go somewhere and sit around the pool with a beer and hang with thier peeps.

7. One poster who shall not be named and his mystical customization tips for creating a racket that can make you as good as any pro.

8. Too busy playing virtua tennis on this 100" HDTV

9. They don't post, but lurk in the Tennis Tips/ Instruction Section.

10. I am a pro and a post here all the time!!!! ;)

max 03-08-2007 02:09 PM

I guess I'm misunderstood. The top 20 or top 50 are mostly on the go; I'm thinking the top 300 might have some possible posters.

It may be true that much of the TW site would be considered banal.

TGV 03-08-2007 02:16 PM

I have read somewhere that Curt Schilling, a famous baseball player, is a regular poster on Sons of Sam Horn, a Red Sox fan forum.

laurie 03-09-2007 05:10 AM

Players who have their official websites like Amelie Mauresmo and Tim Henman and Roger Federer check out their forums. Both players also have a question and answer session from fans in their forums.

The website I built for Svetlana Kuznetsova - she regularly visits because its a joint venture with her agent.

As for a website like Tennis Warehouse, Why not? I think people may be surprised that they would visit but of course they would log on as guests so we would never feel their presence - but it happens.

malakas 03-09-2007 05:20 AM

I agree with Laurie.Many may just read it but not post it.I know that Tursunov reads MTF,but for TW I dunno..

laurie 03-09-2007 05:33 AM

By the way, this is the site I built if anyone wants to have a look:

http://www.svetlanakuznetsovasite.com

malakas 03-09-2007 05:50 AM

Thanx for the link Laurie.:)

Ripper 03-09-2007 06:33 AM

Why is it so difficult to believe that some top pros come here anonimously? How in the world could we know if Roger Federer, himself, hasn't been here and, even, posted. I mean, I'm sure they could care less about most of what we talk about here, but the fact is we just would never know. So, don't be so sure ;)

spadesss 03-12-2007 10:44 AM

1) They are busy counting there millions $$$$$$$$$$
2) Trying to figure out game plan Z on how to beat Fed or 1H.
If you are Fed or 1H, trying to figure out how to stay unbeatable for the rest of the year.
3) There might be a better site than TT that we don't know about. And they are chatting over there instead.
4) Have better things to do like practice and practice some more on the court?

Dude 03-12-2007 02:42 PM

In response to:

"3) There might be a better site than TT that we don't know about. And they are chatting over there instead." --

Top college players and lower ranked pro players chat on other websites that don't discuss things like equipment and technique, but instead discuss issues like rankings, travel, player development, coaching, etc.

raiden031 03-12-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spadesss (Post 1308324)
1) They are busy counting there millions $$$$$$$$$$
2) Trying to figure out game plan Z on how to beat Fed or 1H.
If you are Fed or 1H, trying to figure out how to stay unbeatable for the rest of the year.
3) There might be a better site than TT that we don't know about. And they are chatting over there instead.
4) Have better things to do like practice and practice some more on the court?

Its not like they practice for 18 hours a day. Most of us have real jobs that we might spend 8-12 hours doing something away from this website, and we still have time to come on here.

Gundam 03-13-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Condoleezza (Post 1300341)
You are joking, no?

Condi

A real bio-scientist would laugh at the 'Jurassic park' movies.
Astranauts would not waste their time watching 'Space cowboys'.
At least they wouldn't take it seriously.

vudal 03-13-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripper (Post 1301941)
Why is it so difficult to believe that some top pros come here anonimously? How in the world could we know if Roger Federer, himself, hasn't been here and, even, posted. I mean, I'm sure they could care less about most of what we talk about here, but the fact is we just would never know. So, don't be so sure ;)

I'm sure Roger has. Hes probably one of the posters that made excuses for the recent lose to Canas.

ollinger 03-13-2007 03:46 PM

I never watch medical shows on TV when I come home from work and I don't imagine too many of them want to shmooze tennis when they're done practicing. If I DID want to talk medicine with others, I'd do it with my peers, not (and here's the equivalent of TW posters) a bunch of pre-med college students.