Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Did I make the right choice? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=125233)

headfan91 03-27-2007 01:20 PM

Did I make the right choice?

Right now I have an m-fil 300, and I had my first practice for the school team last night. But I noticed that everyone has light sticks. One varsity player had an n6.1, but everyone else had granny sticks. I think the nuber two player uses a lm4. I am wondering that since I would only be on jv, if it would help to switch to something larger. If I do switch, I will be more consistant, but I do love my m-fil. But I just hit shots off-center more than I would like. so should I make a switch to something like the m-fil 500 or the prince shark for example?

A.Davidson 03-27-2007 01:28 PM

Don't worry about what the others do - just use whatever you play with the best.

headfan91 03-27-2007 01:30 PM

thats what Im worried about. I think I would play better with an OS, but I would have to change my strokes to become more compact. In a sense, going back a step.

Ryan in Saratoga 03-27-2007 01:33 PM

thats the problem right there. It is your midset, who cares what raquets the team uses. You bought the 300 because you like it, so use it unless you think it is making your game worse.

p0w3r 03-27-2007 04:01 PM

Exactly, use what you like, not what others like.

Face it, the most of the people i have met in high school teams really dont know much about tennis racquets. Some a guy on my team uses a head i.s6...just because it was once of the cheapest ones in Modells and it had a high original price. They just think that the more expenseive = better.

ibringtheHEAT 03-27-2007 04:10 PM

I felt the same way, but now my strokes are more developed than theres. They may get more power, but they aren't going to get better form or spin with their oversizes.

fgs 03-27-2007 05:26 PM

not all os-racquets are high power sticks! there are some out there, like the nblade 106, where you really have to take a full and fast swing at the ball and you wouldn't hit long. i cannot say anything about the m-fil 500, since u have no possibility to demo, but i've also hit with a head flexpoint radical 107 and that one wouldn't have you hit the fence either. so just go and try some out, they would not be limiting your growing your game.

ibringtheHEAT 03-28-2007 06:49 PM

true, but playing with a mid/mid+ your strokes are going to develop faster. because it forces you to hit correctly. oversizes can give you really compact strokes, which in the longrun is really going to hurt you.

drhopz 03-28-2007 09:44 PM

Heavy rackets are more enjoyable to play with, but they slow me down from running. I like small frames because it's easier to manuever, but you have to focus more. I would say i play better with my former OS106' racket, but i enjoy playing more with my Nblade98. In this case, size doesnt matter. Dont wrry about the others. Smaller frames will develop your strokes and timing because the margin of error is slimmer.

fgs 03-29-2007 02:01 PM

that oversizes would make you lazy and force you to compact strokes is a myth. it is true that most oversize racquets on the market are power racquets intended for the use of recreational players, and in such a case you really stay with compact strokes because otherwise you'd tear down fences if going for a full and fast swing. but there are also some players oversizes out there - oversizes in the 106-107 range, that basically have less power than a pure drive. so, if we would follow the logics of compact strokes, than every stiff racquet out there, even in midsize or midplus, would not allow the development of a nice and full swung stroke. now, it is obvious that this last assesment simply isn't true, you can have a full swing with the pure drive and still hit it within the court, and you can have the same full swing with some oversize racquets and hit it in the court as well.

ibringtheHEAT 03-29-2007 05:30 PM

well some people are genetically short and some tall, that doesn't mean that the vast majority don't go by a certain theme.

Tour 90 04-11-2007 05:09 PM

the mfil isn't exactly heavy though...
I'm a hs player and I use an n90, so just use whatever you want!

Forehand Forever 04-11-2007 06:35 PM

I'm a freshman varsity player I use Babolat Pure Drive and M-Fil 300. I'm trying to decide between the two because I don't really like the strings that my M-Fil came with. I think that the only oversized racquet thats on my team is the Head Flexpoint Radical 107 sq in (sorry if thats not what its called). Most of the players have Babolats on my team.

Swissv2 04-11-2007 06:46 PM

why waste money trying to buy what everyone else has and learn to use your own racquet properly?

ibringtheHEAT 04-11-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swissv2 (Post 1372748)
why waste money trying to buy what everyone else has and learn to use your own racquet properly?

HIGH FIVE!

Ronny 04-16-2007 04:41 AM

just demo, demo and demo for TW or any tennis shop