Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   U.S. Open Final (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=12597)

barry 09-11-2004 03:54 PM

U.S. Open Final

I see the real number 1 and 2 in the world are playing in the final. Don't have a pick in this match, will just set back and enjoy it. Hewitt is playing very well, Federer is 3/4 pace. Should be a close!

Hewitt big motivation is he will move to number 2 with a win, and pick up 1.5 million dollars. Should be one of the better U.S. Open finals.

No hype, just high quality tennis!

I am routing for Dementieva, hope she wins and says "you don't need a big serve to win, even in a grand slam". That should shut Mary C and Mac up.

Kirko 09-11-2004 04:08 PM

Your right Barry. It should be a scintillating match ! I'm leaning towards Hewit somehow.

degreefanlindi 09-11-2004 04:50 PM

final

I am pretty sure Federer is the favorite in the men's final. But I consider Hewitt the better player right now...the way he's been playing and considering he won the US Open series. I think he has more momentum right now. A win at the Open could solidify either of these two men's careers, but I like Hewitt's chances. In any case, the match should be a heated battle tomorrow and I look forward to it.

martin 09-11-2004 04:57 PM

I''ve seen their last three meetings and Federer was superior. Federer will beat Hewitt in three or maybe four sets.

Aoya 09-11-2004 06:01 PM

"After an hour on court, there has been a record setting of 23 'Come On!' 's on the court. Expect more."

Deuce 09-12-2004 01:34 AM

Yes, Federer/Hewitt promises to be quite competitive and entertaining. I just hope that the actual match lives up to its promise.

In other news, $1.5 million to the winner is both obscene and offensive within a culture, and on a planet, where there are so many struggling to live without basic necessities like food and lodging.

But, hey - what do they care, huh?

PrestigeClassic 09-12-2004 01:56 AM

Wow, $1.5 million now? Wasn't last year the first with a $1 million top prize? It's not like Federer won't show up if he's getting only $1 million. I really hate seeing such a division between the rich and the poor. I wonder what some of the players think of this, the ones that have an opinion. The $10.00 burger money is barely better than drug money. USTA members may as well write a check to Roger Federer instead from now on. Anyway, I'm going for Fed!!

callitout 09-12-2004 04:16 AM

Yep, Barry keen eye for the subtle: Dementievia did indeed get "routed" as you were "routing" for. And I think if Federer wins 3 sets today he takes it all, but on the other hand if Hewitt can get more games in 3 sets the match probably goes to him. And I bet Hewitt's ranking will jump after this tournament. Oh, and I doubt Roddick wins a single point today--further evidence that he sucks.

chicagohpch 09-12-2004 08:51 AM

I suppose if Hewitt wins today, he will rank No. 2 on ATP rankings. I expect to be an even match, but I like the underdog's chance. Both are mentally tough, Hewitt seems to be more consistent this summer.

The tennis guy 09-12-2004 09:13 AM

Even if Hewitt wins today, he still ranks NO. 3 entry.

1 Federer 6460, 2 Roddick 3770, 3 Hewitt 3605, 4 Henman 2830, 5 Coria 2820.

This maybe the largest gap between 1 and 2 in ATP history.

BaselineAce 09-12-2004 09:26 AM

Hewitt will win an extra $500,000 if he wins because he won the U.S. Open Series. Also, the amount of money tennis players make is nothing compared to other sports.

Matt H. 09-12-2004 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaselineAce
Hewitt will win an extra $500,000 if he wins because he won the U.S. Open Series. Also, the amount of money tennis players make is nothing compared to other sports.

bingo. Tennis Magazine ran the numbers on this. Brian Vahaly, no 100 in the world, took home $40,000 when it was all said and done (after taxes, travel/equipment/food expenses, etc)

I'm watching the NFL game on CBS right now, and every starter on offense and defense, on both teams....are millionaires. That's 44 guys right there.

mlee2 09-12-2004 01:51 PM

Hey Barry, whatever happened to your "fair draw" arguments?

You chastised Roddick for not having played a guy in the Top 20 in Wimbledon yet you praise Hewitt despite him having the same thing: not facing a Top 20 opponent.

Talk about hypocrisy.

mlee2 09-12-2004 02:02 PM

and...please...."real No. 2" my ass

Hewitt's getting 0wned out there in every extent of the word.

The only reason why Roddick (actual No. 2) has such a losing record against Federer is he's the only one who's consistently reaching the finals of most tournaments. I'm sure if there was a different player consistently meeting Fed at the finals, he'd have such a pathetic record too.

Final word: Certainly, if Hewitt hadn't constantly met Fed at grandslams, he definitely would be No. 2 but those are just ifs and buts. If Hewitt is to really get No.2, he has to earn it the hard way(certainly not from speculation and inane posts).